Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

EU7000 4 ton A/C Video

this thread has 74 replies and has been viewed 2715 times

Old 12-23-2017, 12:48:20 PM
Registered-I

Default EU7000 4 ton A/C Video

A good video of an EU7000 starting a 4 ton central A/C.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ASAWGwrjc
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2017, 04:14:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: EU7000 4 ton A/C video

looked like it handled it with ease.
iím a big fan of these hard start kits as they drastically lower the starting amps.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:25:04 PM
Registered-I

In the spring I'm going to give it a try and se how it works out.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:54:46 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoops View Post
looked like it handled it with ease.
i’m a big fan of these hard start kits as they drastically lower the starting amps.
Is there any argument against these things? Any risk to the compressor?

Edit - I do see where some recommend buying the HVAC manufacturer's kit although the reason is not entirely clear to me.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:00:10 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinjax View Post
Is there any argument against these things? Any risk to the compressor?

Edit - I do see where some recommend buying the HVAC manufacturer's kit although the reason is not entirely clear to me.
Bill every review I've seen has been very positive on the 5 2 1 kit. There are 3 different kits. Its important that you buy the right size kit for your A/C ton. All the reviews I've seen say the 3 wire kits with a relay is the way to go. This is another very good video. He tested 3 different kits. I'm sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFFRpxFkpcM
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV For This Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 09:36:07 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
Bill every review I've seen has been very positive on the 5 2 1 kit. There are 3 different kits. Its important that you buy the right size kit for your A/C ton. All the reviews I've seen say the 3 wire kits with a relay is the way to go. This is another very good video. He tested 3 different kits. I'm sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFFRpxFkpcM
Good to know. Interesting that the Lennox OEM kit for my heat pump is only 2 wires and ~$100.

I finally got a good clamp meter and need to go take some measurements for a baseline. It's likely I won't end up with a single EU7000 as my solution but it would be great if something failed that I would still be covered.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:50:21 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Good to know. Interesting that the Lennox OEM kit for my heat pump is only 2 wires and ~$100.

I finally got a good clamp meter and need to go take some measurements for a baseline. It's likely I won't end up with a single EU7000 as my solution but it would be great if something failed that I would still be covered.
Agreed my friend. A backup for the backup is always a good idea. I'm still going with a Kohler propane for our build in Florida. That house will be 100% electric. When I move down full time the Honda's will be backup's. Hopefully an EU7000 Parallel kit show's up by than.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:30:24 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Agreed my friend. A backup for the backup is always a good idea. I'm still going with a Kohler propane for our build in Florida. That house will be 100% electric. When I move down full time the Honda's will be backup's. Hopefully an EU7000 Parallel kit show's up by than.
I have bids and am moving forward getting my propane generator installed next month.

For the portable backup connection, the estimator didn't have any concern installing an interlock on what will become my sub-panel (as my SE-rated ATS will become my main panel after it is installed). I plan on clarifying that this is code compliant before the installers show up. My old main panel (now a sub-panel) will still have the old main breaker so I assume it's compliant. I wasn't sure if the subpanel status was a problem because the interlock won't literally lock out the new main breaker located in the ATS.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:49:23 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
I have bids and am moving forward getting my propane generator installed next month.

For the portable backup connection, the estimator didn't have any concern installing an interlock on what will become my sub-panel (as my SE-rated ATS will become my main panel after it is installed). I plan on clarifying that this is code compliant before the installers show up. My old main panel (now a sub-panel) will still have the old main breaker so I assume it's compliant. I wasn't sure if the subpanel status was a problem because the interlock won't literally lock out the new main breaker located in the ATS.
Bill have you decided on a KW size? With the humidity in Florida I feel propane is an excellent choice. Here in NJ I've only used my generator twice I think since Sandy back in 2012. Propane stores for a long long time. IMO its a very good choice for a home backup generator.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:00:48 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Bill have you decided on a KW size? With the humidity in Florida I feel propane is an excellent choice. Here in NJ I've only used my generator twice I think since Sandy back in 2012. Propane stores for a long long time. IMO its a very good choice for a home backup generator.
20kW is what I ended up with and that's more than I need after doing detailed calculations (putting aside motor surge for a moment). I have a smaller house, FWIW. The cost of propane is a disincentive to using more appliances than needed.

I am going to end up with an air cooled unit and that's why I want a really solid backup solution. I am getting the 20 kW Kohler aluminum unit. I would rather have the liquid cooled unit that you're getting but it's a long story. I was going to get the Cummins air cooled unit but a friend confirmed the engine is Loncin in the latest model. It didn't make sense to have an off the shelf Chinese engine despite the Cummins LP efficiency claims.

On propane - I have a good friend who lost his entire tank within 4 years due to corrosion. The anode bag wasn't forgotten during the install and the only explanation was "Florida soil composition (sand)" and his proximity to the water. Propane is much more expensive here, at least that's what everyone north of me says. $3.60/gal right now. I'm not exactly thrilled with propane but I agree it should be the best of all options.

I'd like a small diesel as a backup if not a pair of EU7000s. I haven't figured out that part of my plan yet.