Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EU7000 Starting Problem

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1245 times

Old 03-01-2018, 07:57:31 PM
Registered

Default Honda EU7000 Starting Problem

Yesterday, I fired up the EU7000 as usual for exercise. It ran normally. Today, I took off the front plastic cover, and the spark plug cover, checking for evidence of mice. No mice were found, so I vacuumed out the interior for good measure and put the covers back on. No circuits or connectors were disturbed.

Next, I tried pull starting just for the practice. During 10 or 12 attempts it didn't even pop, so I gave up and hit the start button. The starter kicked in properly and ran for a long time without disengaging, but the engine was only sputtering - running, yes, but just barely so, at an unstable low RPM. The starter motor kicked out (I think it has a five second maximum), the engine tried to stumble along, but eventually it just quit.

I attributed this behavior to my failed pull start trial, figuring I sort of flooded the machine. So, I waited a while and tried again several times, with the same result each time. I didn't see smoky, dense exhaust however, as I would have expected from excess fuel. Frankly, this felt more like the throttle servo just wasn't cracking open the butterfly.

This generator has just 25 hours on it. It has run well before now. Orionpaxx, if you're tuned in, this seems to resemble the problem you posted in recent weeks.

I'd love to hear some ideas. Robert at Honda, are you around?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2018, 12:23:32 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Honda EU7000 Starting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post
Robert at Honda, are you around?
yes...any errors codes on the i-Monitor? How old is the fuel in tank?

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
Old 03-03-2018, 04:35:23 PM
Registered

I didn’t see any error codes during the stumbling operation. I assume that error messages are ”durable”, meaning they’d stay on quite a while so as to be visible. I recall reading that error messages flash; nothing was blinking on the monitor.

Fuel is drained and run dry twice a year, then replaced with fresh stabilized fuel. It was last exchanged early December.

One day after the trouble, I decided to try again. The generator fired up right away, stabilized at normal RPM, and purred contentedly, just like nothing ever happened. No error messages appeared. Another day later (today) I repeated the test, no problem.

That’s the story. An anomaly that hasn’t reappeared. Such things make me uneasy, but for now, it works. Not sure whether to leave well enough alone, or dig deeper.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04:00 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post

Thatís the story. An anomaly that hasnít reappeared. Such things make me uneasy, but for now, it works. Not sure whether to leave well enough alone, or dig deeper.
In the absence of any error codes, I'd still go with a fuel issue. If it were ignition, it would not go away. Likewise on other electrics (fuel pump, throttle control motor, etc.) But fuel? Yeah, it often causes intermittent issues....

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
Old 03-05-2018, 03:32:28 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,052 Times in 3,942 Posts
Exclamation Re: Honda EU7000 Starting Problem

You probably flooded it during the pull start attempt. After that, you did not allow enough time for the excess gas to evaporate. As long as it starts and runs OK now, I would not worry about it. i would make sure the fuel is fresh, if you are using gasoline. Use no fuel more than 30 days old!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:10:39 AM
Registered

Thanks Robert. I do see considerable merit in Andrew’s speculation, because it fits the conditions, mostly. On the other hand, I’m a little surprised that the engine couldn’t clear its own throat of excess fuel during three ragged almost-start events.

I am keeping in mind that the engine is completely under electronic control, and that I can’t expect to know all the possible outcomes. Perhaps the throttle motor isn’t allowed to open up until some combustion parameter can be proven to the controller, for example. That would presumably exaggerate the over-rich stumbling run.

Fuel life is always on my mind. My disciplined six month fuel change cycle really ought to be enough, I figure, especially with stabilizer used at the stronger ratio for long range storage. However, if experience proves me wrong, and the fuel’s life really is that short, then I am going to get rid of this generator and get a diesel.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03:56 AM
Registered

hello,

that sounds exactly like my problem. I've also encounter 2 more operators here in R.I that are having the same trouble. It seems to be electronic in nature, it seems like a sensor parameter is out of whack or the electronic stepper motors are not operating as they should. it's a very strange problem that seems to be getting reported more and more. I really wish Honda would address this issue. it makes a $4000 generator totally unreliable, and reliability is main reason we all spent the big bucks. Robert, has there been any real speculation or talk of this issue that you've heard? it's defiantly not isolated. I have replaced, fuel pump and filter, injector, spark plug, checked all lines, opened throttle and stepper motor.
GCU has been replaced twice and it's still happening. there has got to be a logical explanation. I can also get verified accounts of the same issue from 4 other food truck operators in R.I. with all these GCU replacements happening under warranty it is clear that Honda knows about the issue. the last time the GCU was replaced I was told that Honda is going to stop warrantying these unit if used in food trucks but, Dlesters report at only 25 hours makes me feel like it's not related to heavy use or environmental conditions.
I apologize for ranting on all these threads... I guess a new thread should be started for the sake of reporting these issues.

on a side note, it hasn't happened in a few days since I opened up the stepper motor and manually moved it through it's full range of movement. though I am sure it doesn't mean anything and the problem will reappear at some crucial moment when I really need it to start and it doesn't.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:26:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,180 Posts

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer as Honda 'I think' makes some decent stuff.
But I'm always drawn to my experiences with it over the years. Over engineered and put into production too quickly. The electronics seem to not fare that well in some environments and applications.

Gimme my old things without a circuit board. Especially as most of the newer things lose factory support after a few years and you're stuck with an expensive brick and scrounging ebay to get it running.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:02:19 PM
Registered

so very true! the simpler the machine, the better. IMHO. but, I just wish someone smarter than I am would be able to chime in and say "oh yeah, all you need to do is..."
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06:03 AM
Registered

Well, I’m afraid I’m not able to be that smart person who can point straight to the problem. I’m limited to educated guesses.

On the subject of the complexity of our generators: I agree, they’re somewhat complicated, and necessarily mysterious. I’d like to have a machine that strikes a balance between sophistication and simplicity, and offers maybe a bit more repairability in the field. As it stands, I perceive a heavy emphasis on the dealer network, which is no surprise. Trouble is, I would have little confidence in the available dealer talent to fix my generator around here.