Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

Light Plant Sign

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1634 times

Old 01-31-2017, 12:32:22 PM
Subscriber

Default Light Plant Sign

Below is a link to a Kohler Light Plant I am adding to my engine show display.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165785
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Light Plant Sign

Ready for the shows
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46:17 PM
Registered-III

I have three of the little Kohler plants, one running and two for parts. it's a well thought out unit and provides a fair amount of 110 volt power at low rpm's. The only restoration problem is getting the fuel pump rebuilt these days. You have to make your own replacement diaphragm.

I get a kick out of the "war" between generator manufacturers, such as Delco and Kohler......"No storage batteries!" proclaims Kohler proudly. Well, yeah, if you don't mind the generator running at night to provide lights. The Delco doesn't provide such a high voltage, but doesn't need to be run except to recharge the batteries......which probably uses just as much fuel as the Kohler.

Both have their selling points. Personal preference for the farmer I guess!
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 11:40:11 PM
Subscriber

Yes the "war is fun to study". One advantage the a kohler had was that you could buy "city" appliances. You didn't need to use just 32 volt. I have some old advertising that empties a lot of these light plants were sold because they would run a well pump and thus indoor plumbing.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:38:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,627 Posts

Kohler also offered a 140 volt direct current model of this set for use in charging a 56 cell (112 volt, nominal) battery. So, if you wanted a battery AND city appliances, Kohler had THAT covered too! I'm planning on setting up my bus conversion (1955 Crown Supercoach) along these lines.

These are my favorite plants. I now have six of them, technically. I've had signs of life in three of them, two of them are rust buckets, and one of them is incomplete. I'm currently working in earnest (albeit slowly) on getting an AC one in service.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:43:56 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,440 Times in 4,152 Posts

Before I sold my 110 VDC Kohler C, I had quite a few electric motors that were 110 volt AC-DC. Still have a few! Drills, sheep shears, sewing machine motors, even modern tools with brushes and not electronic speed control, will work! Also, incandescent bulbs too!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14:47 AM
Registered-III

I picked up my first Kohler at the Brooks, Oregon Steam Up years ago. It's a 1m21 and had been used as a standby unit for a volunteer fire department, so its actual running hours were minimal. Other than cleanup and paint, it needed a new fan belt........that's when I discovered its only real design flaw, having to split the unit just to change the belt. After a lot of work I got it done, THEN found out about "link" type vee belts which would have made the job a lot easier!

The original fuel pump was missing but a Staker from Alaska provided a replacement. The plant is in storage right now, but fresh fuel and a few spins of the crank will provide me with power any time I want. They're a good unit.