Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Be Safe Around Moving Parts!

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 7100 times

Old 11-07-2017, 08:41:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,418 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Be Safe Around Moving Parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
There's a fine line between competence and complacency on the job.
The most competent person can get complacent about doing the same old-same old things.......
I've always been fairly paranoid about being careful around things that turn having worked around the lathes, drill presses and grinders in the shop.
I remember my Dad getting some raggy shirt wound up in the lead screw of one of the lathes.
Luckily he was working near the chuck and got the lathe shut down before whatever could have happened happened.......
There's no way the lead screw would have stopped.......
Craig, I know exactly what your Dad went thru. I was 16 years old at the time working on a South Bed Lathe in my basement. My long sleeve shirt didn't have the tails tucked in. Involved with running the Lathe with the lead screw on. It took a long time but before I knew it, it was wrapped around the lead screw several times. Before I knew it, it also turned me around and tore the buttons of the shirt and with the long sleeves it pinned both of my arms close to the turning shaft. I was yelling for my brother upstairs for help. He came down I said "SHUT IT OFF" he said where? I yelled "PULL THE PLUG" that was the electric cord hooked up to the light socket. He had to cut the shirt off me to get me out. It happened so slow I didn't know it until it wrapped several rounds and tugged me into it. TOO LATE

Last edited by Don Selmer; 11-07-2017 at 01:12:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2017, 12:41:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,144 Times in 1,510 Posts

Over the years I have lost good friend and family to machinery moving objects seems we work around these things equipment and we loose or let our guard down and things happen my cousin was inside of a standard rig oil well belt house while the large one foot wide belt that goes from the clutch on the natural gas engine to the band wheel he was putting tar we call it belt dope in a tube on the belt to make it stop slipping and he should not been in there while belt was running he touched the belt with the tar stick and lost his balance close to the clutch assembly and he fell into the belt and it took his body around the clutch and belt his brother was with him that day he cut belt got Tom out he lived for an half hour or so I had a close call my self one time pumping an oil well after that I never went into the belt house while it was in motion we must never loose our fears of equipment keep us on guard and we live to see another day.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54:23 PM
Registered-II

a split second is all it takes. There was a guy around here he was out of his tractor for what ever reason between the tractor and a disc harrow, it wasn't a pretty sight to say the least.

Rollag had a couple mishaps with loose bundles of hay, we had two mishaps where they fell on the drive belt and the other one the pitchfork fell into the thresher and the guy fell on the belt.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:29:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,599 Times in 6,946 Posts

In the case of the gentleman in post 1, I heard the other day that the farm flew his wife up from Mexico, and a local church found lodging for them while he recovers. It sounds like he will have a long, hard road ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:29:06 PM
Subscriber

When I worked in town we had a milk truck that got gas from us. The driver came in one day and did not look to good, so we asked what was up. He was at a farm picking up the milk and talking with the owner's son when they heard shouting outside. The father had gone into the liquid manure spreader to unplug it without turning the tractor off. The son ran and shut down the tractor while the truck driver jumped up on top of the tank to see what had happened. The man in the tank said " I'm done for" and fell over dead. The mixer shaft had taken both legs off.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:49:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,278 Posts

Oh god how horrible.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09:40 PM
Registered-I

This was a near miss (thankfully) so not gruesome. I was working on a truck two days ago that had issues with the air system engaging the pto driving the hydraulic pump. Somehow I had neglected to bleed the air off before unbolting the actuator. So 130 psi sent ~ 5 lbs of casting and piston rearwards at an impressive rate. Accompanied by an equally impressive blast/noise. Had I been on the other side of the driveshaft i have no doubt I'd not be posting today. Sloppy work on my end. It won't happen again. Be safe.

Cheers, Greg
Old 01-17-2018, 10:56:21 AM
Subscriber

I believe the University of Nebraska has some of the most gruesome graphic photos of farm accidents you will ever want to see. And bad weather conditions will get you in big trouble every time. OSHA regulations have helped with a lot of dangerous issues such as machine guarding, confined space, etc. If the conditions are icy and the job can be put off, then wait to do it. Safety should be the first priority. Whenever I do any cutting in my shop, before I light the torch, I do a walk around to make sure no flammables are too close to the work area. I stage a fire bottle near the job where I know I can get to it if need be. No matter how careful you are, things can and will happen. Have a plan for the unexpected. If at all possible, never work alone. A helper can save your life if something goes wrong. Another modern tool that can save your life is your trusty cell phone. And like Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid" I am retired now, but I have seen my share of stupid stuff done over the years that lead to people getting hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:07:48 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,278 Times in 2,777 Posts

In the years that I've been farming, there has been several serious accidents in the area. 3 were rollovers that were fatal in 2 cases and the others were mostly entanglements with PTOs, of which one was fatal. Just how the other 2 survived is still a mystery! The one roll over involved me and my brother, it still chills me to the bone when I think back on it. We got real lucky that day as no one got hurt, just scared the wits out of both of us. Another friend that has passed on had lost all of one thumb and half of the other in different incidents, one involved working on a wire tie baler, he was messing with the wire feed when it tripped and snared his thumb. The other incident was years later, he was reaching in to the gathering chain of the corn head to remove debris when he got too close to the sprocket, it took the end of his other thumb off at the first joint. I bought that baler at his dispersal sale, that's when I learned of that story and how it happened, every time I go past or use that baler I think of him. All of the people involved in all of these incidents were well known to me and considered friends. They were all considered good and reasonably safe operators, yet things still happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:17:47 PM
Sponsor

I have been working with hydraulics & pneumatics for 40 years now, but only became aware of "Fluid Injection Injury" within the last 10.

Gruesome stuff

Anyone that works with fluid power, diesel injection, pressurised lubrication etc. should be VERY aware of this.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to have this happen to you or witness something like this, it is imperative that the emergency response people be made aware of the seriousness of the situation and that time is of the essence.

There is lots of info on the net, but this short simple video gets right to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtqCUF1E5A
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ross Clarke For This Post: