Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Fordson F Fan Belt

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 524 times

Old 12-31-2017, 09:32:06 PM
Registered

Default Fordson F Fan Belt

I'm interested in hearing what people are running for fan belts. I have a 1925 F with a dry, de-laminating endless red canvas belt that needs replaced. I'd like the replacement to be as original as possible. From what I gather, by the mid-20s leather probably had been replaced by canvas. As far as new belts, I've found Fordson House and Old 20 Parts Company. I believe they are both canvas and jointed with a clipper style lacing. I would prefer an endless belt because of the Wehr governor pulley that runs on the outside of the belt. I think it would run quieter than a laced belt given that pulley arrangement. That's why I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on a Fordson House belt. I'm thinking I may have to make my own. Hitnmiss.com sells red canvas belting. My belt is 0.215" thick and 1 3/4" wide. I think this would be a custom width, 0.25" thick, 4-ply belt from hitnmiss. The pulleys are 2" wide. Does anyone know the width and thickness of the Fordson House belts? Anyone know the same for an original belt? Anyone running a laced belt on a governor pulley?
Open to any thoughts or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50:24 AM
Registered-II

Post re: Fordson F fan belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik M View Post
I'm interested in hearing what people are running for fan belts. <snip>
I've been running a leather belt with Clipper lacing; that's what was on the tractor when I hauled it home 10 or 15 years ago. Looks like it has been on there several decades, with no adverse effects on the pulleys.

I noticed that belt was looking kinda haggard when I put the tractor away last fall, with one major crack and several smaller ones. I won't be at all surprised if it fails before too long, possibly next crank-up.

When that happens, I plan to replace it with the same thing. Now that you've brought it up, I'll keep an eye out at the local Goodwill store for a suitable replacement, and fasten the ends with Clipper lacing.

If you can find an endless belt in the correct size, go for it. Otherwise, a laced belt, either leather or canvas-rubber, should do just fine.

My 2˘ worth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce B. For This Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:15:11 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fordson F Fan Belt

Check with your local industrial belt supplier. They should be able to order one. What there price might is another question.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCamp For This Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:37:23 AM
Registered

Thanks. I sent Rustic Red Acres a message with my dimensions hoping one of their endless Farmall belts would be the right size. I measured my neighbor's Regular and it wasn't close, but you never know. Their photos show what I was planning to make if I can't find one, but like I said, I thought I'd ask here what was original before I went to that effort.

http://rusticredacres.com/search.php...query=fan+belt
Old 01-01-2018, 11:56:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,573 Times in 513 Posts

Nik, I have belting and laces, make my own. Measure what you need and we can make one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 12:05:44 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,659 Times in 2,466 Posts

I've some folks use those new serpentine endless belts if you can get one the right length.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 10:54:34 PM

Thanked 19,143 Times in 5,682 Posts

Here here on poly v belts.
I've used/use them on everything I have and threw conventional flat belts in the junk.
Buy one of these and it will be the last belt you buy.
Go there >>> http://www.vbelts4less.com/K-Section...lts_c_105.html
If the belt you need is about 1 1/8" wide select 8 rib belts.
Chose a length and then product details.
If you can't find the length you need there check out the industrial sizes available which are nearly endless (pun intended....... )
https://www.gates.com/power-transmis...ne-belts/c/103
Nearly everyone who uses them, and plenty do, run them with the smooth side out.
The vees do a great job and you don't have to tighten them like fiddle strings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:27:21 PM
Registered

I see in a 1924 parts book that the fan belt is called out as "special fabric, 1 15/16" x 5/32" thick. For those interested, I measured the crowns of my F pulleys at 41 1/4" min to 42 3/4" max using the fan for adjustment. That was the factory pulleys with no accessory governor. Also, while it is difficult to say for sure due to the graphic, there does not appear to be a lacing in the parts book.