Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Moline Universal Tractor Reunion

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1036 times

Old 10-31-2017, 01:18:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,733 Times in 740 Posts
Default Moline Universal Tractor Reunion

September 13-15 2019, there will be a Moline Universal Tractors, implements and Moline Plow Co history & artifacts Reunion at the Geneseo IL AE&TA Working Farm Show. We are still putting together the full agenda, and if anyone is interested in helping on the committee we'd love to have you. Loren Book is the committee chair and was the one who kicked this idea off and I am helping with it, along with a few others. Any model Moline Plow Co Universal and the forerunner Columbus Universal is welcome along with implements and related material. We will have at least one orchard model there and will hopefully have an E variant. We are also going to have implements, and demonstrate them.

Besides the show itself, we are also trying to build a serial number database of survivors. Anyone willing to share their serial info, let us know.

I went ahead and set up a website for the event at www.MolinePlowCo.Com with the relevant info. The website also has info about the company, the tractors and the Remy Governor Generator System.

For those of you on facebook, we also set up a page there with an events page.

https://www.facebook.com/Moline-Univ...5367787236886/
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2017, 08:59:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,375 Times in 2,049 Posts
Default Re: Moline Universal Tractor Reunion

Paul;
There's a lot of good information there and the football game would have been better than those NFL etc games.
Did John Deere really invent and make the first steel plough?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:24:29 PM
Subscriber

Paul; Is this Moline show in 2019 or 2018 ?. Trying to plan shows for 2018 and if it is a 2019 date I`ll not plan it in. Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925
Old 11-01-2017, 12:26:58 AM
Subscriber

2019. We decided less than 1 year was too short and we knew some people who would want to come had projects they needed to finish up, or possibly start and that would give them some time. Also, many people are already making or have made plans for their 2018 shows already.

As we move forward and start to get an attendees list, we will poll about topics such as a dinner or a trip to the former headquarters and factory sites (there is an original building still standing at both sites). We also can make accommodations for people needing display space under cover or bringing artifacts or special implements like grain binders.

You are more than welcome to come for the 18 show as well, the feature will be Ford/Fordson.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 01:46:23 PM
Subscriber

Awesome web site Paul! Not to derail the thread but are there any model A's in existence? That engine design looks very interesting.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:12:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanks.

There are at least 3 A's known, and probably more. I know at least one owner is here on Stak. Kellers did own one, but I heard it was possibly sold overseas, and a third was in the eastern part of the US, maybe Pennsylvania? I have heard of the possibility of others. I have an A catalog, I need to scan and upload more pages, there is more detail on the engine.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:17:39 PM
Subscriber

We now have a flyer, a logo and a contact card. We had a planning meeting last weekend, and a topic that came up was if there were any Moline Plow Co trucks left? and could one be gotten to the show? I've been told theres at least one. Another question that came up was if there might be a Fordson with the Moline Plow Co conversion kit and cultivators that might be interested in coming (of course Fordson is featured in 2018 at Geneseo this year as well).

We have a few things in the works leading up to the Reunion, I'll announce them as we get them ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aeta_2019flyer.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	300250   Click image for larger version

Name:	UniversalTractor Flyer V5 7765px Flat Q-9.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	300251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	300252  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:38:25 AM
Registered-II

Paul, I've already talked with you but for everyone else I'm presenting this to the owners of several Stephens Motor Cars which are a branch product of Moline Plow. Not had a chance to talk with them yet as I'm in recovery from a leg amputation yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ihredo4 For This Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:01:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,226 Times in 662 Posts

Were the Moline cars connected to this as well?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:30:42 PM
Subscriber

Randy, I'll just copy my response from the other thread for here since we clarified you have an R&V Moline Knight with a few tweeks.

It depends on which "Moline" cars you mean, Moline Knight, Moline Dreadnought, Moline Stephens? the Moline Stephens cars were part of the Moline Plow family, but were built in Freeport IL 1916-1924. George W Stephens was one of the early founders of the Moline Plow Company and held a major stake in the company. His son George A also was involved with the company and later served as president, he made the decision to get into the automobile line as part of the plow company, hence the Stephens name. E.T. Birdsell who was behind the Seldon auto was the early designer. Root & Vandervoort was building the engines and went into partnership with Moline to keep building them when R&V reorganized. In 1918, the Stephens family sold their Moline Plow shares to John Willys of Willys Overland, which really confused things as he also had his own line. Now, there was another "Moline" car, which was built entirely by R&V in east Moline IL, these were sold as Moline Automobiles in the early on starting around 1904 for a couple of years then Moline-Dreadnaughts in 1911 and Moline-Knights in 1915 (the Moline knights were later the R&V Kights). The Moline-Knight, like the Willys-Knight, were called that because they used the Knight sleeve-valve engine. the Stephens never used the Knight engine. If you are looking for info on the Moline-Dreadnaught or Moline-Knights by R&V, Donald Paul & John Nikodym just published "The R&V Story" which is an excellent look at the company and cars. The Moline Knights are far more common and well known than any of the others. As tangled as R&V and Moline Plow got at the end, you could say there was a relationship, but really Moline Plow had nothing to do directly with the R&V cars.