Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

McCormick WK-40 FBB to Red Diamond RePower

this thread has 161 replies and has been viewed 28039 times

Old 12-20-2014, 04:08:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,531 Times in 635 Posts
Default Re: McCormick WK-40 FBB to Red Diamond RePower

Eric...I spark tested the front engine hanger and it is definitely steel. However it appears that the rear engine support is cast ?!? You certainly have had your share of challenges on your RD conversion...but always remember that this is a hobby and not an addiction so if a particular project isn't enjoyable anymore let it sit until it perks your interest again. I'm sure you will get it together someday.

A little detour from the regular RePower programming here...I'm at the point where I'd like to put the shortblock in the tractor frame and I'm giving serious thought to giving this thing some kind of paint job. I"m paint and sandblaster illiterate so any advice would be appreciated here. This tractor was originally a dark gray with red wheels. Anything that is reasonably close to the original colors is OK as long as it easily obtainable and easy to work with. Undoubtedly this subject has been discussed on another thread so any links would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WK-40 RePower 44d.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	213871   Click image for larger version

Name:	WK-40 RePower 45d.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	213872  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2014, 05:02:35 PM
Subscriber

Yes, the rear hangers are castings. They can be because they aren't nearly so delicate as the front hangers.

Didn't mean to give the impression I wasn't enjoying the hobby. The challenges are a big part of why we do it. I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread so thanks for keeping it rolling. A lot of people ask me how it is to retrofit one of these engines. It's one thing to talk about it but it is so much more to actually see it happen. Many will benefit from the information you are sharing. As a side note, I have heard people over the years - some tractor collectors - say upon encountering a 40, "look, somebody just put an IH truck motor in that old 22-36!"

In a way they are right but it was IH that did it. Seeing what it takes to actually do the repower should be all it takes to disabuse them of the notion that a w40 is just a thrown together tractor.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27:39 PM
Registered-III

Eric: What is the diameter of the rod & main bearings when they are standard? Also I know of two shops around here that will "sleeve" main bearing caps and saddles to build them back up to standard?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:37:39 PM
Subscriber

John - for the FBB here are the bearing specs from a 1950s FM service book for Std. Crank diameter - FBB w/ Heavy crankshaft:

Rods 2.2470 to 2.2480
Mains 2.7005 to 2.7015

The housing bores are:

Rods 2.362 ( I think w/ 4 0.003" shims on notched side only of rod (rods using shims - not all do))
Mains 2.875 ( I think w/ 2 0.003" shims on EACH side of main cap)

If you could send me the info for the shops that "sleeve" the main saddles and caps, I would like to talk to them. Maybe my block with the spun thrust main could be saved. Of course that it is a thrust bearing will complicate matters.

Thanks,
Eric.

Last edited by Eric Best; 12-21-2014 at 05:55:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:42:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,531 Times in 635 Posts

Hi John
I assume that the engine you are inquiring about is the FBB 298 that Eric described in post #7?
FBB....crankpin dia. 2.248"
FBB....Main brg dia. 2.700" Housing bore....2.875" non- piloted caps
I think that Eric had mentioned attempting to sleeve the damaged main brg bore on this engine in another thread. I"m thinking that with his recent acquisition of a NOS FBB block that this idea got shelved as a block with this much damage could be a real money pit.

You will find the Red Diamond engine is much more substantial in the crankshaft department.
RD....crankpin dia. 2.75"
RD....main brg dia. 3.25"
Hope this provides you with some of the info you were seeking.

Eric... I see you beat me to it!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54:24 PM
Subscriber

That's just one of several FBB blocks I have to try to save, unfortunately. I actually wasn't going to sleeve the saddle and cap. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how this would work. Some shops will flame spray the casting in this area then remachine it on larger diesel blocks. If it came down to it, I'd prefer to machine new main bearing shells that were oversized on the OD and shorter between the thrusts. In any event, I don't absolutely have to save the block at this point but it could come to it later on.

The RD definitely has a superior crankshaft.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:21:12 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,231 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Best View Post
As a side note, I have heard people over the years - some tractor collectors - say upon encountering a 40, "look, somebody just put an IH truck motor in that old 22-36!"

In a way they are right but it was IH that did it. Seeing what it takes to actually do the repower should be all it takes to disabuse them of the notion that a w40 is just a thrown together tractor.
I'll throw in a little note on this issue. In 1937 My Grandfather decided to replace the 1930 22-36 with a new IHC. Salesman who came out to the farm talked him into a new W-30. When Grandpa went to pick up the new tractor and stood in front of it he said "this thing is too small for us". So he then decided on the W-40 with round spoke rubber, starter and lights. I have the bill of sale hanging on the wall. A couple of years later a block man for IHC told him that the W-40 was indeed a quickly put together idea as the plan was for the W-30 to replace the 22-36 but they found it was too small for the plains. I have seen archive photos of the 6 cylinder truck engine in a 22-36 frame in development but the engine was too fast for the gearing. The result was the W-40 with that noisy reduction gear, (the weak spot of the tractor). That 1937 W-40 was used on our farm until 1958. It always was my Dad's favorite tractor.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 11:23:56 PM
Subscriber

Ed - I also have a picture from the IH archives of a W-40 chassis fitted with a 22-36 engine (likely a 300 power unit complete with K-5 carburetor and top exhaust manifold) by IH engineers when they were trying to figure out how to undo that disaster of an engine that was the FBB-298. The tractor never made it to production but it was an interesting detour.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:10:32 AM
Registered-I

I have been giving some thought to putting my RD450 into an F30 as I have one with a bad engine. I thought it would make for an interesting re-power.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:34:26 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,573 Posts

Most of the F-30s in this part of the world were used for hot rod pulling tractors back in the late 60s. So to find a complete one is difficult. They do lend them selves to conversion fairly easily, most used the small block Chevy motor. The big issue was to get the gear ratio right as the truck and car motors run considerably faster. F.J.W.