Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Fordson Wehr Governor

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 637 times

Old 01-02-2018, 12:55:26 AM
Registered-I

Default Fordson Wehr Governor

Ok, I can't figure this out. I've posted about the Wehr Model M flyball governor before. The third paragraph of the attached ad is confusing to me. Why is it focusing on idling so much when you can do the same thing with the factory throttle? Surely they don't mean you'd let the tractor idle and then as soon as the tractor needed power the governor would handle the full range of power from idle to full power. Anyway, I'm trying to replicate the original controls but can't find any good photos or information. It appears that there is a spring attached to the governor rod lever. This then attaches to a chain that goes through the dash and has what appears to be a weight hanging from the end. There must be some sort of catch to hook the chain into to adjust spring tension. If you look very closely it appears that the throttle rod is removed. So, was the factory throttle lever, linkage, and rod completely removed from use? It looks like the chain perhaps goes through the hole that the throttle rod stub used to be in. I'm struggling to understand both how it was intended to be installed and how it was intended to be controlled and function.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167675
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1925 Wehr Governor.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	299562  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik M For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 10:46:13 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Fordson Wehr Governor

Nik,
Most aftermarket Fordson governors for the American model F did not function how we all know a 'normal' tractor governor functions. A normal governor keeps the RPM at a set value controlled by the hand throttle position. Move the hand throttle position, and you get a different set engine RPM. This mostly works by the hand throttle increasing spring tension in some way counter-acting the governor trying to close the throttle plate.

Most aftermarket Fordson governors did not link into the original hand throttle 'normally'. When installing most governors on a Fordson, the hand throttle just became a variable max throttle plate opening stop by hooking it up in the loose notch. It did not control the set RPM. Most of the governors had a separate knob or adjustment lever that would vary the set RPM by changing spring tension. In sense you had 2 throttle controls, one controlled the allowable maximum throttle plate position, and one controlled the governed set RPM. Very funky by modern standards.

This Wehr governor just did away with the original hand throttle, and you pulled this little chain thru the dash to vary RPM set point any where from an idea to max. The little chain had spring that attached to the governor arm. Very unhandy to operate, unless used for a stationary belt power. You could have left the original hand throttle on with this governor, but it would need to be hooked up in the loose notch, and it just becomes the variable max throttle stop like I said above.

Only aftermarket governor that functioned like a 'normal' modern tractor governor was the one model Pierce governor that has the rooster comb mounted on the coil box side of the dash. These work quite well. The Handy governor also works well, but is a vacuum governor not mechanical. But Handy is also quite restrictive and cuts the power of the tractor to some degree.
In my opinion, all the other aftermarket Fordson governors are not much more than a cool add-on gadget, but function kind of funky by normal standards.
-Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Welker For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:01:01 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Fordson Wehr Governor

Thanks, Steve. I, like you've mentioned before, like the feel of the regular throttle. I think the unit operates just fine without a governor, but perhaps I'm just used to catching the throttle lever with a finger when more or less is needed while simultaneously steering due to also driving a T. I can see it being more useful on the belt with no one sitting on the tractor. I'll keep an eye out for literature, a photo, or a tractor with an original controls set up just for originality's sake. Like you said, it's a talking piece.