Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Best Motor/Trans Cleaning Fluid to Use While Transporting Tractor?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 937 times

Old 01-03-2018, 02:31:05 PM
Registered-III

Default Best Motor/Trans Cleaning Fluid to Use While Transporting Tractor?

I've been successful with this method before but am looking to improve upon it.
Before hauling a long sitting crawler by trailer, I drain the old engine and trans oils and replace it with gasoline, paint thinner, or kerosene. Gas is the cheapest and works pretty well....but it is flammable so I take extra care when handling.
The continual bouncing of the trailer on its 8-48 hr trip home provides a washing machine/sloshing action of the fluid throughout the inside areas. AS SOON as I arrive home, I immediately drain the motor/trans while most of the crud is still in suspension in the thinner fluids.
I once, my first time years ago, did not drain until a month later and all the particles had settled to the bottom and created a dense layer which I had to scrape/spoon/ladle/vacuum out by hand. After initial draining I'd left the ALL the drain plugs off and the trans inspection cover off to vent any fumes (this was in the summer and outside). Dropping the oil pan and cleaning out, easy.
It was the transmission and finals areas that were problematic. After I spooned out as much as I could, I got frustrated decided to come back later........which was about 6 weeks. When I went into the trans again, the muck layer on the bottom had totally dried out and was now cracked and peeling up like mud in a dried out pond. That's when I used a vacuum to suck out 95% of the now dusty/dirt like material. I worked great!
Another couple of gallons of paint thinner poured in and those areas were sparkling.
That one time was the exception. I havent had the patience lately to wait for things to dry out like that.
Anyway, what I'm asking here is your opinions on what would be the best cleaning fluid for the above purposes, not necessarily for the drying action but A as an oil cutting cleaner and B to keep the particles in suspension a while longer that just straight gasoline? A combo of new oil and solvent?
And no, I'm not that concerned with drying out the seals as I usually replace them anyway if needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyguy5219 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 04:47:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,039 Times in 3,934 Posts
Default Re: Best motor/trans cleaning fluid to use while transporting tractor?

Kerosene or better yet-home heating oil (diesel). Home oil is relatively cheap, won't hurt metals, will help clean out gunk. Clean kero works better but in lew of cost -fuel oil probably your best bet. gasoline will cut thick oils and grease better, but as you noted - flammability issues with its use. i would say your usage would be determined by the condition of the engine. if absolutely filthy inside, use gas. if not so bad, fuel oil. in the end, it's up to you!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:52:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,159 Times in 713 Posts

I worked part time at a small tractor repair shop years ago and we used alcohol in those pressurized canisters. Truly flammable, and this was usually on an engine that hadn't sat for decades so it cleaned up well and evaporated.
Now and then someone would squirt some under the restroom door and light it though..........
Old 01-03-2018, 11:08:25 PM
Subscriber

I like kerosene or fuel if I don't get a chance to get at it right away. Gas will wash out any oil that is left keeping the rust at bay. I have pumps come in with water in the crankcases. If I wash with gas the bearings will seize in about half an hour.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for that info..