Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Early 4 Cylinder Waterloo Boy tractor

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 8991 times

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 11,700 Times in 416 Posts
Default Re: Early 4 cyl Waterloo Boy tractor

I have THIS tractor in my shop now to help the owner replace some missing parts and get it running I can shoot as many pics of it and put on here as you guys want! Wendell Kelch

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

It is gear to gear transmission and final drives ,no chains for a final drive. The flywheel turns CLOCKWISE not counterclock wise like all other John Deeres.Can you imagine hand cranking it! The crankcase for the engine and the transmission is the same hole. No partition between them. The hand clutch lever is on the LEFT side of the transmission case. It has a 6 feed lubricator to oil the crank and cylinders. The cylinder,pistons,rods,head and governors are the same as the normal Waterloo Boys. It is going to be a really NEET project! The owner has done a BUNCH of work to it already but it still needs a lot of help to get it running and moving under its own power. Wendell Kelch
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23:42 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,873 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cwach View Post
Early Waterloo boy tractor. The last of what I have for uncommon tractor paper.
Tom These pics. look very simular to the Waterloo Boy on tracks shown in Wendels book. The only difference are the tracks instead of big drive wheels. Ed B
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44:29 PM
Registered-I

Wendell, that is a very interesting tractor which helped Deere growing big in tractorbusiness in that days. I hope you get it running soon! How did they find this tractor? and how did it look like? Where things rusted away badly?
Do you have pictures how this tractor originally look like?

Thanks Gerrit, Keep posting pictures please
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,721 Times in 273 Posts

Very interesting tractor! Hopefully we can get some more info on the restoration work! Is there any pictures of the original complete tractor? looks like quite a project.

Also I could not help noticing the similarity to the Wallis Cub JR sold in 1916-1917. Although the engines sit in different ways the final drive and "Bathtub" are quite similar.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,018 Times in 6,783 Posts

Here are a couple of pix I posted on another thread some time ago. They are better here. They are from the 1913 Winnipeg Fair - a little grainy as they are from an old magazine.
Interesting machines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wboy1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	151937   Click image for larger version

Name:	wboy2.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	151938  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59:02 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,060 Times in 2,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wahl View Post
Here is an interesting article on an experimental early John Deere.

http://www.farmcollector.com/tractor...e-tractor.aspx
The tractor commonly known as the Dain was more than an experimental. It was a regular production tractor with distributed sales literature. While maybe not much more than a one production run tractor, the sales literature was enough for Mr. Hansen to sucessfully sue Deere to recognize it as the oldest production John Deere. As he noted in the article, nowhere on the sales literature is it called a Dain. It was always referred to as a John Deere.

The tractor at Sycamore is actually thought to be older, but since it does not have a serial number plate it is not recognized as "complete" .

There is a fairly extensive thread here on the Stak about the Dain.

Frank W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14:08 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjdinterest View Post
Wendell, that is a very interesting tractor which helped Deere growing big in tractorbusiness in that days. I hope you get it running soon! How did they find this tractor? and how did it look like? Where things rusted away badly?
Do you have pictures how this tractor originally look like?

Thanks Gerrit, Keep posting pictures please
Gerrit, This is my tractor and if i can get some of my pics posted i will get them on here. The main case was unearthed near the present waterloo factory in 1992 by some outside construction work. a good friend of mine and his son did aquire it at that time. It has came a long way from what I got. The motor and many other items have been done by Jan Maggert. My hope is to get this project completely restored back as close to original as poss. Dan thomas
Old 06-02-2013, 02:45:27 PM
Registered-I

Thank you Dan, I just saw the thread that Mr Wendel Kelch started about this tractor, if someone can restore it, he can! (saw how he did the Fairbanks).
It will be not easy because there is nothing known about this tractor, so you don't know how it looked like when they built it, or they used it for photographs. I also don't understand why Deere and Company didn't have interest in this piece of Deere history for their museum because it is one of their first and oldest prototypes I guess. Good luck with this one of a kind tractor. Gerrit
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,774 Times in 756 Posts

Dragging this back up to the top. Been trying to make sense of the early Waterloo Boys. So, it appears that in late 1912 Waterloo officially entered the tractor market with the E B Parkhurst designed 4 Cylinder, and it was immediately advertised in track and wheel configurations. A 2 cylinder, 2 plow orchard was apparently already in the works at that time. Initially, the 4 cylinder was listed as doing the work of 12 good horses. Toms brochure matches that as 12 on the drawbar and 30 on the brake. By the end of 1912 and through 1913, many waterloo boy ads showed a round radiator version of the 4 cylinder. by mid 1913 it was now being advertised as 15-30 and two new tractors were advertised, at 15 hp and 25 hp, both 2 cylinders. The two Winnipeg tractors Rick posted appear to still be the 4 cylinder 30's.

According to most of the reports I've read from a couple of Deere sources, by Winnipeg, the 4 cylinder should have already been done and Waterloo should have been concentrating on the two cylinder designs, with a version of a 25 hp 2 cylinder on tracks being designed by Harry W. Leavitt. However, Every picture I have seen so far associated with the tracked Waterloo Boy are obviously the 4 cylinder. An ad in a Canadian magazine in later 1913 offers the 30, 25 and 15 all on tracks. By 1914, the 4 cylinder should have been totally gone, but David Parfitt found an ad for it from 1914 Hungary that lists it as a 25-40! In Toms brochure, 40 hp is considered the maximum short term output on the engine, and would have consequences if used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1912 4 cylinders.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	297944   Click image for larger version

Name:	1912 round radiator ad.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	297945   Click image for larger version

Name:	1913 canadian ad.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	297946   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterloo boy.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	297947  

Last edited by Paul Searl; 12-09-2017 at 02:39:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:26:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,774 Times in 756 Posts

the 2 cylinders are really confusing to me, because they were not heavily advertised and I don't trust modern source material very much.

From what I have found, there appear to have been at least 5 models before the R in 1914: C, H, L, LA 3 wheel and LA 4 wheel.

The 15 hp L apparently only 2 were built with the 2 cylinder opposed engine, and then a side by side 2 cylinder engine like the future Waterloo boys was used. So, was the L the 1912 2 plow tractor mentioned in development? The L and LA seem to be credited more towards later 1913 and even 1914?

I have seen almost no mention of the C aside that it may have been a 4 wheel drive based on the L.

The H I have only seen mentioned as a larger than L tractor, at 6500 lbs with a 7x7 opposed 2 cylinder engine. this tricycle design Might be the H? if so, is this also the missing 2 cylinder 25 hp model Leavitt was using as a base for a tracked tractor and that appeared listed briefly in advertising?

in the last half of 1913, a tractor that looks more like the Waterloo Boy R begins to appear, although there are obvious differences. interestingly, there appear to be a couple of variants of this tractor in advertising with a late 1913 and a early 1914 version advertised at 16 hp. This doesn't match the L's 15, but could it have been the LA uprated slightly? I know the first inclination with drawings like this is "artistic license". However, I have found that a lot of these drawings actually had more in truth than not, so I am very reluctant to dismiss.

So, anyone care to enlighten me?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1913 possibly the 25 possibly the H.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	297948   Click image for larger version

Name:	1913 late ad.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	297949   Click image for larger version

Name:	early 1914.jpg