Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

UNKNOWN Farm/Lawn piece of Machinery anyone help?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 4016 times

Old 09-12-2010, 06:38:17 PM
Registered-II

Default UNKNOWN Farm/Lawn piece of Machinery anyone help?

Good Evening,

Recently going through one of our old barns I stumbled upon an old walk behind sickle mower (Pictures Included after explanation). Now for the mystery, It is fully intact, with a Briggs & Stratton Engine, specs are as follows: Model# NPR6 Type# 307055 Serial# 1535097. For the machine itself though I cannot figure out what year it was made, or more importantly by what company. The handle bars and sickle bar itself are painted yellow, while the frame, wheels, Guard, and pulleys, are green. I suspect possibly be John Deere just off the colors it looks like an exact match but oddly enough no where on the mower itself is any symbol or number to what company made it. The only thing i could find after a tedious examination was on the shearing head teeth themselves said: MD888 and on the wheels: Gates Rubber Co. 1125-702 14x2.00. I am in the process of restoring it I have then engine apart now its in very good shape for its age, but as any restoration process, knowing the year and what company made it is vital so I can complete it to its orginal state. Thank you very much for taking a look at my problem, any information is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bobby

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GixXxerkid18 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 06:40:41 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: UNKNOWN Farm/Lawn piece of Machinery anyone help?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:00:13 PM
Registered-III

Is this a JARI?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36:49 PM
Registered-II

Not sure, one other gentlemen mentioned thats what he thought it was but he wasnt sure, how would i go about finding out if it is or not? i honestly dont even know what year this is, yes the engine is late 40's early 50's but thats just the engine not sure on this machine itself. Does Jari have a directory or somewhere I could research this further?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:32:38 AM
Registered-II

Just a casual look around Jari's current web site, they look like friendly folks who just might tell you what you've got there.

http://www.year-a-round.com/index.html

Looks an awful lot like ones in this photo, but the hood is pointier on top.

http://year-a-round.com/blog/?p=100
The Following User Says Thank You to bwdbrn1 For This Post:
Old 09-13-2010, 08:17:09 AM
Registered-II

They were sold as Toro "Zipper" mowers approx 1945-1955, then as Jari mowers from late 50's on. The only Zippers I have seen had Lauson RLC engines. The Jari History tab says they were patented, I believe, in the 30s. Always made in Minneapolis?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick DeBuse For This Post:
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50:38 AM
Registered-II

Bwdbrn1, Thank you for that reference, since searching for anything that looks even relative to mine thats the best picture I've seen that may be a hit as you said. I have some new information on the Engine it was built in 1948, I found a small engine restorer with one restored. I will definitly get in touch with year-a-round, the attachment shows that guy is an avid sickle mower collector I'm sure he knows his stuff. And also Dick DeBuse, your theory actually made alot of sense to me because the farmer that lived here all he owed was toro's I have 10+ toro push mowers all left over from this guy. And it would make sense to be a zipper as you said up until 1950's, but all the zippers I have found have that Lauson engine. Thank you both very much, I'll be in touch with updates soon.

Bobby
Old 09-13-2010, 01:43:17 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: UNKNOWN Farm/Lawn piece of Machinery anyone help?

pretty sure its a Jari I have one without the shroud that has the Briggs model N They don't seem to have a lot of value took mine to the Le Suere Swap I counted 4 more there could not sell it for 30.00 and I figured the briggs should have been worth that the other issue could have been that they were made in Minneapolis and are pretty common in Minn and Wis Tony K
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00:29 PM
Registered-II

would you happen to know of a place where I could come across pictures to restore it, or the actual name model and year of the piece of machinery? Thank you for the info
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28:32 AM
Registered-II

I believe there is a Toro Zipper manual on ebay. Also a Jari Chief Manual, and someone is parting out a Monarch model.