Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Babbitts turning to powder and wont come off

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1256 times

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35:04 PM
Registered-I

Default Babbitts turning to powder and wont come off

Hi I noticed that grease wasn't coming out of the bearing on my empire on the crankshaft. when I took the back end of th bearing cap off the babbots wee like dust partially. no grease was getting to the bearing. When I tried to take the babbot and bearing cap off they wouldn't budge at all. How can I get the bearing and babbot off and are they reusable if the powdery stuff is taken off and grease can get to the bearing?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15:18 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,862 Times in 3,813 Posts
Exclamation Re: Babbitts turning to powder and wont come off

If done right, the babbitts are soldered to the mains. They usually have to be melted out, and re-poured. Is the powder just surface, or they pitted badly? If pitted, replace. If surface, scrape until bare metal exposed, remove high spots (trial & error, with some prussian bluing), Drill out grease opennings, and grease and shim as nescessary. Sounds like either you got water in the soap based axle grease, or mixed soap based grease and parafin based (oil)greases, and it turned caustic, and ate your bearings (BOO-HISS) make sure not to mix your greases!

Clean out all bearings and grease cups, clean out ALL grease thoroughly. After setting the bearings, hand grease shafts and fill grease cups, and turn down caps as crank is rotated. Make sure grease comes out both sides of bearing. Note type and brand of grease AND DON'T CHANGE IT!!!

Andrew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: