Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

moto mower ??

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 6820 times

Old 12-29-2002, 03:18:54 AM
David Greenwalt

Default moto mower ??

Hi gents, this is not a question I generally ask on here, 'cause most of the time I don't care about value if it's something I like. I would like your opinions on the value of a moto mower I have recently acquired. I don't collect these but thought it would make good trading stock at a show or something. It has a rope start Briggs that runs, it will cut grass, whole unit is complete as far as I can tell. The rubber is on the two wheels, but is cracked and split, the wooden rollers are there but need replaced. I was just wondering if this was worth hauling to a show and trying to trade. Thanks, David.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2002, 07:24:28 AM
Shane Ball

Default Re: moto mower ??

Hello David - The Briggs engine you refered to - Is the engine a Briggs "PB" ?? I`ve seen some Moto-Mowers and they had Briggs "PB" engines and these engines are worth a good bunch of $$$$. Just wondering!? Shane
Old 12-29-2002, 09:48:03 AM
leonard keifer

We need to know more about the mower. MotoMower made mowers from the early 1920s up into at least the early 1960s. They used Briggs FI, Briggs PB, Briggs M, and probably a lot more that I don't know about. If it has wooden rollers it probably isn't from the 1920s, my 1929 Motomower has cast iron rollers.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:48:02 AM
D. Smith

David, It's whorth haluing to a show. Some people will buy or trade for the darnst things! D. smith
Old 12-29-2002, 10:51:51 AM
D. Smith

I could be one of the worst about something odd.D. Smith
Old 12-29-2002, 11:27:29 AM
John Rolli

David,Moto-Mower is practicly my middle name.I have 16 "City Model 21" mowers with anything from an FG-FH-FI engines from about 1926-30 and one "Detroit" with a PB thats a 1928.If yours is old enough I would be interested in a sale/swap on it if you like.I can also tell you the year and engine should it be a newer one out of my scope of collecting.Thanks.John.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:42:52 PM
David Greenwalt

Thanks John, and all who responded. I've been on this site long enough I don't know why I would think there was just one type with one motor. The mower has a brass tag that reads "Lawn Ace Model A-123248", The engines tag reads "Model 5S (I think, the tag has been bumped into something and hard to read the S), Type 700011, Ser.No. 988369." I think this would be the common "N" model? The wheels have Moto Mower in raised letters. The rollers look homemade, so I don't know if they are original or not. David.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:59:30 PM
Marty

David, the model "5s" on the tag means it's a model "5s", not an "N" although they look an awful lot alike and are both rated at 1-1/2 hp. The biggest obvious difference being the "N" used the small Flo-Jet carb while the "5s" used the Vacu-Jet carb. The numbers you posted places that engine as being made in Aug. of '52'. Least ways around here, (Ohio) the later Moto Mowers are not uncommon meaning their not worth much but certainly worthy of taking to a show for trading stock. No reason to trash it. The "5s" is a very reliable little engine and you just can't kill 'em.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:50:41 PM
John Rolli

Hi Dave,your Lawn-Ace has the correct engine on it and according to my chart the mower is a 1953 model beginning with ser# 121,147.1954 started with 127,464.Hope this helps.John. P.S rollers should be wood.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:32:16 AM
leonard keifer

A little high on the hp for the 5S; it was rated at 2/3 to 1 hp depending on hp. I think the 6S was the "follow-on" numbered model of the N.