Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Binding Post For Inverter?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 3940 times

Old 11-14-2014, 08:29:34 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,096 Times in 456 Posts
Default Re: Binding Post For Inverter?

Bass, I will be honest. I thought the Tiger Claw was related this this infamous failure of a inverter. http://ludens.cl/Electron/chinverter/chinverter.html

Robert
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2015, 10:05:05 PM
Registered-III

Update, I still have not rebuilt the inverter discussed above. I have been putting it off since my battery has since bit the dust as well.

However, I have searched for industrial binding post and came across these http://www.dhgate.com/product/4pc-in...187073243.html

Just wondering if anyone has seen these before or knows of better industrial binding post???

I don't know about anyone else here? But I have in this area alot of this idiots running around with amps a thousand times too big for a car.

They have the music literally making the ground shake. Since I hate these mindless zombies and have a axe to grind.

I am thinking of going out and finding a second hand car amp at the local flea market. Seen a bunch of them last year. I am thinking of stripping the binding post. Which are a close match to a power inverter. I also need the cooling fan which also is a close match.

Robert
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24:35 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
Bass, I will be honest. I thought the Tiger Claw was related this this infamous failure of a inverter. http://ludens.cl/Electron/chinverter/chinverter.htmlRobert
Hey Robert. Knurgnar on y-tube and I can easily tell you that anything from PowerJack is absolute garbage!!

Now the Tigerclaw, though of Chinese origin, is actually designed in Arkansas.What I mean is the inverter performs well, but it isn't spectacular. There is a still a decent amount of dead time at the zero crossing, and the input stage is inadequate for 1500 watts continuous, more like 1200-1300 watts. The assembly inside, well its not the best either, just adequate. I wouldn't trust it for dealing with vibration and bumps in a car for example. I leave my Samlex SSW-2000-12A inverter in my vehicle for various uses.

Even with these shortcomings, its still a great little unit. Its cheap, it works, and if it blows up, I cannot complain too much for the price I paid.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:39:10 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Bass. I was hoping someone would chime in on the tiger claw. There is alot of inverters for sale and it is hard to tell what works and what does not.

I have been looking at these units. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PURE-SINE-WA...item43dc31db8b

Do you have any experiences with that particular brand?

Robert
Old 05-14-2015, 11:59:48 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroads View Post
Thanks Bass. I was hoping someone would chime in on the tiger claw. There is alot of inverters for sale and it is hard to tell what works and what does not.I have been looking at these units. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PURE-SINE-WA...item43dc31db8b Do you have any experiences with that particular brand?Robert

Knurlgnar did a few reviews on this brand too. From what I gleaned from his tests they were garbage as well. Anytime on the Tiger Claw, again it works great for me. I use it for tailgating and camping often.

https://youtu.be/S98cT6g236A

heres a video running a heavy load with my canister vacuum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bassplayer1985 For This Post:
Old 05-19-2015, 04:13:39 AM
Registered

Most if not all of these original inverter high current binding posts are made of brass and as some of us are finding out, can be fairly fragile and impossible to obtain genuine replacements from the original Chinese manufacturer.

This is a fairly common problem, and even if you do find something similar, it will also be fragile, too often horribly expensive (for what it is) and will probably not directly fit the hole in the metalwork anyway.

Best solution is to first completely dismantle what was left of the original damaged binding post, and salvage the red and black plastic insulating flanges.
Then put it all back together using an honest fine thread plain HIGH TENSILE steel bolt, with either steel or brass nuts.

It will then be indestructible.
Cheap too, will not look too out of place, and the repair will last a lifetime.
And you can really torque down on those nuts without fear of damage.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29:42 AM
Registered-III

True, But for me the insulators are missing. So I have been looking for something similar to the orignals. My project was fairly simply at first. But, two missed screws resulted in coaxing the dang board out of the case and unforunately destroying all the power fets on the negative side. Grrr! Who would have thought they would hide two screws under the dang label on top of the inverter.

It's only a 800 watt cheapie which will cost more to fix than to just replace it. But, The homesteader in me says to not throw away but fix it.

Unlike fuel oil and coal. Money is a renewable resource most of the time.

The learning experience is priceless!

Anyway, I found Aliexpress has some medium size post listed for inverters. Cheaper than the DHGate ones. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Middl...08.4.10.4hBuzd

Robert
Old 02-06-2016, 03:02:48 PM
Registered

Robert,
Those terminal posts may struggle beyond about 30 Amps which is the typical maximum rating for that type of thing. Some are only rated to 15 Amps.
The problem is the rather thin brass threaded shank.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53:39 PM
Registered-III

True, But my so called 800 watt modified sine inverter probably cannot do anywhere near 800 watts as the inside is just not looking like it has the potential for any serious power output. I'd say divide by 2 and that should be more realistic. Plus, I only use these inverters when a storm wreaks havoc or a Hurricane knocks out the ole TV.

For the fridge and freezer I have a genny but it needs a rebuild or just change engines.

I've let my backup systems basically fall apart and am trying to get back on the ball. NC has not had any Hurricane in quite a while thank goodness. But that luck will run out sooner or later.

I am thinking of a OSP Tiger Claw inverter of 1500 watts and wondering if the modified sine would run the fridge or freezer alternating between them?

Truthfully I want one of those powdered core low frequency inverters that is heavy as heck for my motor loads.

Robert
Old 02-07-2016, 04:39:34 AM
Registered

Quote:
Truthfully I want one of those powdered core low frequency inverters that is heavy as heck for my motor loads
Yup.
Those transformer type inverters may be big heavy and primitive, but they have the Cajones to handle heavy short term motor starting loads, and a take fair bit of abuse in their stride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Warpspeed For This Post: