Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Deep cycle battery recomendations

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 6600 times

Old 02-20-2014, 04:18:12 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Deep cycle battery recomendations

The system is on a semi tractor, with a 75 amp brushless alternator. The battery pack is the only batterys in the truck. It has a mechiancal engine with air start (doesn't need any electricity to start [U]or[U] run. There are minor load while the truck is running, but shut off the main draw is a diesel fired heater and blower (DC loads) I'll pull 80 amps for a short while when boiling water for coffee in the morn, but I start the truck (to biuld air pressure) when I'm doing that so the act draw on the battery at that point is closer to 35 amps, with the alternator picking up the rest.
During warmer weather, it run a table fan at night off an inverter, but the load is similer to the heater.
I have run this system for several years now, and I am just trying to come up with the best batterys for the space and money.
So far I am happy with the choice, just have to see how long they last.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 01:45:12 PM
Registered-II

I have had them in the truck for several weeks now, and am pleased. I'll just have to see how long they last. I definately notice the differance between the old set (when new) at 500 amp/hr and the new at 620 amp/hr.
Before, when in extreme cold (below 0 deg f) I notice the capaicty drop off rapidly, with these the extra capacity really shows it self when the temp drops, I loose less. Hopefully this will translate into longer life as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:08:32 PM
eMail NOT Working

You'll see just that... the chemical reaction that makes the battery work, varies with temperature. Remember back when... an extreme cold start shouldn't be done without first turning the headlights on for a minute or two... doing so, caused enough current to flow in the battery to warm the electrolyte and plates, hence, improving it's ability to produce large currents.

The potential issue I see here, however, is that you're placing these in a road-travelling vehicle... and if you're still travelling roads in it, the battery NEEDS to be a type that's allowed for DOT-approved service AND, can tolerate the vibration, shock, and thermal variation of that environment. Clearly, a huge Trojan won't do, nor will glass/iron batteries.

The other issue I see, is that you're wanting a 50% discharge curve. Lifespan of a battery basically rests upon the max discharge level... the deeper a cell is discharged, the shorter it's life becomes. If you can reconfigure for say... 25% max discharge, the cell life will increase substantially...
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21:20 AM
Registered-II

you miss understand me, I want LESS then 50% which is why I have such a large battery pack for a small load.
I have yet to see any "DOT" rateing on any battery sold. There are requirement on securement, but not battey type. Viberation is an issue but will see how these last.
I am well aware of cold effecting output, another reason to oversize. Turning on lights is a myth, esp with low discharge amp draws like I have. Anyway mine start their dischage cycle after a day of chargeing anyway, so should be warmer then ambiant temp.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51:12 PM
Registered-II

"Turning on lights is a myth"

You've got that right. I used to own a '55 Chrysler with a big fat ole' V8, 6 volt-positive ground and it sat outside in 25 below winters. Break-free current was around 1000 amps, cranking around 700. Terminal voltage was around 4.5 so I was losing about 1 volt due to internal resistance at load - that's 700 watts, not enuf to warm the battery squat. Forget about a couple of dinky headlights. Matter of fact - you can discharge a full lead-acid cell with a short circuit to 0 volts dead and barely warm the battery up. That's the reason lead acid cells are hard to find a substitute for - almost no internal resistance. Charging is a totally different story - you can cook a lead-acid cell quickly with overcharging. Very different heat balance going on.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39:42 PM
Registered-II

Look up C&D Batteries. They make pretty good station service batteries. We have them up at work in both flooded lead acid and sealed.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:38:57 AM
Registered

This may not be what you need but I have had one set last 12 years and am on a new set now I expect 13 + years of service. They are not cheap. I have supplier in Fla. as I can no longer buy direct.

http://www.rollsbattery.com/content/...ions-renewable
Old 12-16-2014, 01:56:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,118 Times in 1,743 Posts

My hands down choice for lead acid batteries is EXCIDE. They made the Die Hard for Sears. The have deep cycle cells.
Doc