Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Battery life - my experience for reference

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1231 times

Old 03-07-2017, 01:39:06 AM
Registered-III

Default Battery life - my experience for reference

I wanted to post up my results of battery usage from my experimental solar system. Long story short, I received 4 X Genesis 12 volt 75 A/Hr batteries that were used in 2009. They were from a scheduled UPS swap out/replacement and were mine, free of charge. Original manufacture date is unknown.

Anyway, I finally had to scrap them last month after 8 years of mild to light use. The solar panels (65 watts total) would charge the batteries and then i had a 1500 watt inverter that i turned on as needed to run power tools and a radio as power was needed.

What I learned - The big used batteries worked well for me. During the winter, there is almost no power available. During the summer I could run my power tools and stereo for one evening working in the shop per week.

So, for future batteries in a solar system will last about 8 years until they need to be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 04:03:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,120 Times in 1,744 Posts
Default Re: Battery life - my experience for reference

If you get wet type lead acid batteries, long term problem is sulfation. BUT... they can often be converted to an ALUM based electrolyte. Check youtube for numerous videos on process. Best long term battery is nickle iron with potassium hydroxide.... but OUCH serious money for new ones. My recomendation for off grid batteries is either golf cart or electric forklift batteries. Check around any golf cart rental places or forklift service companies in your area. Golf cart places often just swap out new batteries each year. Can probably rejuvinate to alum based electrolyte. Try to find older full lead plate batteries rather than the new glass mat style. The older ones are easily rebuilt. Only wear ratty old clothes while working on them (holes will quickly develope in any new ones!)
Doc