Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Transformer for Electrolysis Tank

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2164 times

Old 03-21-2018, 06:04:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Transformer for Electrolysis Tank

I was thinking of making a power source to run an electrolysis tank. Can a person use a 110 to 12 volt- 35 amp power supply? Would the newer chargers with microprocessors work or do they have to be more old school? I know some chargers wont work on a completely dead battery, so not sure if they would work for a tank.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,778 Posts
Default Re: Transformer for Electrolysis Tank

You would need an old school battery charger, the new ones will not work. Don't know about just using a transformer, suspect you need a way to control amperage.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:22:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,158 Times in 556 Posts

I tried a 10A power supply and it didn't last very long. Maybe 10A was too high. I usually run 2A when cleaning parts.

I'm now contemplating a solar panel option. charging a batt and the Etank at the same time.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:54:38 PM
Registered-II

A TRANSFORMER changes one AC voltage to another or isolates the AC load from the power supply mains.

For electrolysis you need DC power so in addition to the transformer you will need a rectifier to change the transformer's AC output to DC. Given what you are using the power supply for, you needn't be too concerned about filtering to smooth out the DC voltage.

A 12V 35A supply is way too big for any electrolytic cleaning I ever did. When the sacrificial electrode is fresh and squeaky clean I might see something around 6A but as a previous poster said, something in the range of 2A - 3A is what you will likely see.

Unless, that is, you are derusting ship hulls. That may well take more current. To tinker with the current through a given circuit, you will have to adjust the voltage, up for more current and down for less. To the best of my knowledge though people seem to have good luck with 12V. I know I have. The simple life is the good life. Find an old 10A 12V battery charger at a yard sale or a thrift shop. Plug it in to make sure it works. If so it will do a good job for you. Avoid those old enough to have selenium rectifiers (look like a series of flat washers, may be round or square, separated by some spacers) because those rectifiers were not very efficient and they go bad over time.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:31:01 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

For high amp diodes, you might try robbing them from an automotive alternator. I've used them to replace selenium rectifiers. The forward voltage drop in a diode is different from that in selenium. I believe selenium rectifiers had a property that made them beneficial to battery charging and maybe better than diodes. In this application I don't think it would be a noticeable difference.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:59:53 PM
Registered-I

If a person wanted to vary the voltage and current output, a Variac could be used to vary the input AC voltage to the charger/power supply. Allie
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53:39 PM
Subscriber

The tank I am currently using is 275 gallons and I just pulled out a tub from a vintage snowmobile. I am using a 6/12 volt charger and pull 6 amps using 2 anodes on 6 volts. Switching to 12 really cranks up the amps and the thermal switch shuts it right down. I might look for an older charger if I can find a big one, or I might try multiple chargers. My small tanks don't require near the amps. This is the first time I have tried electrolysis on such a scale.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:01:05 PM
Registered-I

The current will depend on the available surface area of both electrodes, cathode and anode. Reducing the anode area will reduce the current, the cathode area being fixed as the work piece. What are you using as anodes?

Mike
Old 03-22-2018, 11:19:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,158 Times in 556 Posts

let it run longer. I leave stuff in mine for a week or more. pull the rods and clean them when the bubbling stops. I use rebar and old mower blades, they work pretty well in a 35gallon barrel. I've got a 275 gallon tote that will be getting put into Etank service this summer.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:16:41 AM
Subscriber

The two main anodes I use are from the cutting edge of a backhoe front bucket. They are around 4 inches wide or so and hang down to the near bottom of the tank. Two other anodes I use are mild steel of 5/16 by 2 and hang down also to the bottom. On a rectangular part hanging in the tank, I like to cover all four sides at once. However, my charger won't handle it because it is too small for the tank. I do leave parts in it for extended periods and the bubbling doesn't seem to end if a big part is in there. I either need to leave the part in longer or get a bigger charger. I also wonder if the anode steel composition affects the efficiency of the process.