Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

New county ordinance on wind energy placement

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 7259 times

Old 03-05-2010, 11:21:23 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: New county ordinance on wind energy placement

GarysToys,

I saw that on the news and thought how silly. Clotheslines being banned because uppity people thought they were eyesores. I wonder what their great-grandmothers would think of their descendants. Every back yard used to have clotheslines.

I took mine out to place them with a horseshoe pit. But, we used them when we were kids. And when it rained, you used the basement or the diningroom. Anywhere you string up a string maze.

The country wants everyone to go green but just not at the expense of sacrificing the beauty of the neighborhood.

If you don't my frontyard or backyard just don't look in that direction. Keep your eyes focused on the road ahead of you and pass on by, or take another route. Problem solved.

Who needs another ordinance.

My two cents worth,
Candy T.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candy T. For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,060 Posts

Search YOUR State Statutes & Constitution and you may find that you can install your little windmill. I am not a lawyer and don't claim to be, but I have been researching and doing my homework to see if I could install a small windmill in my yard also.

I live in Florida and this is taken directly from the state statutes at this link:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...TOKEN=59911881

If you go to the link and type in "163.04" you will find the following below:

163.04 Energy devices based on renewable resources.--

(1) Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter or other provision of general or special law, the adoption of an ordinance by a governing body, as those terms are defined in this chapter, which prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting the installation of solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources is expressly prohibited.

(2) A deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement may not prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources from being installed on buildings erected on the lots or parcels covered by the deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or binding agreement. A property owner may not be denied permission to install solar collectors or other energy devices by any entity granted the power or right in any deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement to approve, forbid, control, or direct alteration of property with respect to residential dwellings and within the boundaries of a condominium unit. Such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed on the roof within an orientation to the south or within 45° east or west of due south if such determination does not impair the effective operation of the solar collectors.

"Other provision of general or special law" may be the issue for me; if I read this correctly, the City can pass a law similar to what you ran into and I would be out of luck also.....................but if I lived in a Home Owner's Association it appears above that I might be able to install the little wind mill?

Maybe some fellow "Stakers" that are lawyers could shed some light on this?

I would love to get my windmill up before any "ordinance" would be passed so I could claim the "grandfather" approach such as the neighbor down the street plans too.

Jeff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Smith For This Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22:37 PM
Registered-II

The bigger problem is that this is nationwide!---We have had these kinds of stupid ords. for many years,here, but lately they really started getting on people about some of the most stupid little things!---I too think they need to look the other way, or use a different road, but they dont see it that way! thanks; sonny
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny Reese For This Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15:40 PM
Registered-II

There are idiots on BOTH sides of the political fences - I see NO value to this thread in namecalling based on individual political persuasion.

JLB
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07:41 PM
Registered-III

I am just getting into the whole Windcharger issue but I have sold windmills to all kinds of towns that don't allow them. In almost every case an exemption was found for "farm Husbandry, or domestic water" that got out of the "where tower will land rule" In most cities and towns if you get along with your neighbors and they are not down at city hall screaming bloody murder nobody usually says a thing anyway. If you can get along with people life just runs smoother
Old 10-14-2010, 05:33:47 AM
Registered-III

Hello

In Florida there is several state and local building ordinances that prohibit the erection of structures such as radio towers or anything similar and they have all been upheld in a court of law. The reason for this is because they are intended to prevent this type of structure from striking any area outside the property owner’s property rights when and if the winds of a hurricane blow it down.

As is normal you will find structures that don’t comply with the ordinances because they were built before the ordinance was written.

Phil P
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45:19 PM
Registered-II

I saw on TV years ago it was a science show science internation? they had a lower windmill like design that looked like 2 barrels cut in half spinning S they made a huge one in the end. that might more plasuable not as high made out of light materials easy to maintain, out of sight out of mind.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:04:51 PM
Registered

The ordinance is an enforcement of proper engineering guidelines. As a ham radio operator and sometime tower climber, I can tell you that most towers which are guyed will fall within the guy wires IF they experience a failure.

Generally speaking, monopoles (looks like what it sounds like) don't experience failures and other types of towers do (lattice, truss, etc.). However, monopoles aren't used above about 175 feet. Monopoles aren't guyed either. They are the most expensive type of tower however, but can be pre-built and shipped in on a single semi trailer.

Back to the ordinance, if you have a 190 foot tower which is guyed at 100%, you have 190 feet from each of the guy anchors to the tower base. There are other combinations where the guy anchors are closer, but a failing tower is mostly unpredictable behavior. Usually, the tower gets pulled into one of the guys until it bends, then moves to another guy and repeats. The result is that the tower "gently" falls to the ground directly below it and in the circle made by the guy wires, resulting in the tower bent into the shape of a helix or corkscrew. However, the issue is this: how do you keep a tower from falling onto your neighbor's property? And do you really want your house destroyed from a tower falling onto yours (even if the tower was your own idea)? So that's why the ordinance exists; to limit liability and dangerous situations from existing. Ultimately, it lowers the caseload of the local court. It does have the side effect that it limits home power generation along with ham radio operators. But anyone who has ever designed a tower installation knows that eventually a tower will fall -- either through weather or 200 years from now when someone forgets to service it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirbinator For This Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:39:29 AM
Registered

First off, who cares if said ordinance is "against the (so-called) green movement" or not?

It's against FREEDOM!

Specifically, it's against the freedom we all have to build and live as we choose on our own property, as long as we do not infringe upon the freedoms and safety of our neighbors. And erecting a residential-sized windmill cannot remotely be construed to be "unsafe" or endangering others......

I live in LaPorte County, Indiana. To my knowledge, there are no such county ordinances limiting windmill construction in my county.

I'd be curious if the electric company/companies that serve your area had any role in this ordinance........

Perhaps the intent of this law is that the county commissioners want only Amish windmills in your area??? LOL.

I plan to erect a windmill of some kind to generate some of my power soon. I will probably go with a Modified Lenz VAWT design that I will build myself.