Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry Windmills, solar panels and inverters for standby power.

Solar and Wind Power for Home, Farm & Industry

Motor/Generator

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 6425 times

Old 02-10-2011, 10:26:47 PM
Registered-I

Default Motor/Generator

Slightly off topic. Has anyone tried building any of the motor/generators that I've seen advertised and on YouTube? Since they use the power of permanent magnets, they are NOT perpetual motion devices. I've seen some videos that seem to go back over a decade and nothing seems to be in production. And I've seen nothing that gives any kind of performance specs for any of these machines.

Just curious. I was thinking about building one...or two... or more. If I could get a continuous production of even a couple hundred watts, that would mean something for my disaster preparedness plans.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to Kid at Heart For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,864 Times in 2,965 Posts
Default Re: Motor/Generator

David:

I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade but I guess I've been elected.

Motor-generators connected together for the purpose of self generating power have been an idea that emerges from the grave of perpetual motion machines despite wooden stakes being driven into their armatures.

You simply cannot get something from nothing or get more out of a machine than you put into it.

Now, if I misunderstood you, I apologize but if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33:29 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,058 Posts

A friend of mine has a motor-generator from a motor home he once had. It's input voltage is 12 Volts DC. It's output voltage is 120 Volt AC. It output was about 5 amps AC but put about a 55 to 60 amp load on a 12 volt battery. It was set-up in the motor home on one receptacle to power a small load when you were driving down the road but you did not want to start the main generator. He would be willing to sell it if you are interested. PM me if you are.

Kent
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52:07 PM

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,195 Posts
Talking Re: Motor/Generator

Motor/Generators went out of favor, back in the 80s, as Inverter, and Solid State Technology became much cheaper. Silicon is MUCH cheaper than Copper, and Steel... and actually MUCH more efficient...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38:17 PM
Sponsor

keep a tight grip on your wallet
there is no free lunch
or if there is they want to "manage" your retirement savings.

a fool and his money are some party!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51:28 PM
Registered-I

Well, I was hoping that some kind of use of permanent magnets would get out of the realm of perpetual motion. LOL. One of the designs I was thinking of, turns out to be a generator using permanent magnets and needs to be powered by a windmill.

So, thanks for the thoughts. Looking at youtube, it seems like some people out there are designing some interesting things with magnets. I just wished I knew how some of it worked.

Regards and thanks again.

David
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,027 Posts

If you spin the motor and it doesn't stop, you don't need the generator, if you spin the generator and it doesn't stop, you don't need the motor. If they both stop you have friction and won't keep running if coupled together.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56:06 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid at Heart View Post
Well, I was hoping that some kind of use of permanent magnets would get out of the realm of perpetual motion. LOL. One of the designs I was thinking of, turns out to be a generator using permanent magnets and needs to be powered by a windmill.

So, thanks for the thoughts. Looking at youtube, it seems like some people out there are designing some interesting things with magnets. I just wished I knew how some of it worked.

Regards and thanks again.

David
I don't know where people get the idea that you can get energy out of permanent magnets. The amount of energy stored in the magnetic field is trivial, and you'd have to somehow de-magnetize the magnet to recover the energy that created the field originally.

You can get energy out of a coil of wire passing through the magnetic field (which is exactly what permanent magnet generators do), but you're converting the kinetic energy required to move the coil through the magnetic field into the electrical energy you get out of the coil...you're NOT recovering energy from the permanent magnet. Conversely, you can convert electrical energy into kinetic energy by passing current through a coil of wire immersed in a magnetic field, which makes the coil move.

Anyone who thinks they can get more energy out of a system than they put into it is either a charlatan or doesn't understand what they're doing well enough to realize where the actual energy transfers are occurring.

Keith
Old 02-13-2011, 03:34:19 PM
Registered-II

I've heard over and over again that permanent magnets can do no real work. Guess I better look for a scoop at the local hardware store to pick nails out of the bin since permanent magnets can do no real work.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24:39 PM

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,195 Posts
Talking Re: Motor/Generator

I think the ISSUE, here is, in the Electrical Generation Instance, Permanent Magnets do NOT provide the Working Force, that creates the Current Flow thru the Stator Windings. So in this Instance, They do NOT contribute to the Work.... Just Saying....