Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

AC/DC Welding Questions

this thread has 139 replies and has been viewed 3876 times

Old 06-22-2019, 03:02:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,682 Times in 962 Posts
Default Re: AC/DC Welding Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Virginia car inspections. Another state to scratch off the list in our hunt for a place to live. Crashes are so rarely actually caused be mechanical failure that you can basically say that crashes are not caused by mechanical failure. Just another state money and control grab.

I believe the last photo in the first set is the welding polarity switch?

The last photos looks like a big choke/reactor? Does it have taps? Or a wiper? Looks like winding size varies from one end to the other.

Keith
regarding state inspection, this i know if they have not changed anything. the state of VA gets $0 for inspection, all goes to the shop doing said inspection. autos are $16 ea per year, motorcycles and non commercial trailers are less, single axle trailers and anything not registered like farm use or antique vehicles are exempt. anything over 26001 lbs and it was $50 per sticker. regarding last photo is has a wiper. i will have to go back and look at the pictures, but the polarity switch is nothing more than a 2 blade 3 postion knife switch. up is electrode + middle is off, down is electrode -. and it works!

---------- Post added at 03:02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00:16 PM ----------

yes you are corect, last photo in first set i posted today is the polarity switch.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 03:20:39 PM
Subscriber

this should be a excellent before and after shot of the bearings and also a example of what good steel is, I know for fact it sat outside burried in dirt for 20+ years after the barn fell. and the barn had a dirt floor that stayed muddy most all the time and it sat there for as long as i can remember 40+ years that i know of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	337700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	337701  
Old 06-22-2019, 03:53:31 PM
Subscriber

almost not a tripod anymore!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	33
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	337702  
Old 06-22-2019, 05:14:40 PM
Subscriber

well, its back together. the wheel that is, dont ask for any pictures of my welds though! brazed one side, no flux but turned out better than i thought it would. coat hanger on the otherside, well lets just say i gave up and broke out the 1970's craftsman buzz box. still looks like crap but it aint going to come apart! nothing i have here to weld with is top shelf. chepo made in china torch i took from a former employer for back pay. my buzz box will lay a decent weld but this wheel was so rusted and pitted and i will be the first to admit I SUCK welding around something round period.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 05:51:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,934 Posts

Well, when you're all done with this project, I'll bet you'll have an excellent welder on site!
Old 06-23-2019, 12:56:19 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Well, when you're all done with this project, I'll bet you'll have an excellent welder on site!
I hope so! nothing in my life this far that has been good has come easy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 08:23:00 AM
Subscriber

anybody have a close guess how many HP the electric motor was that drove this welder? reason i ask is i have a baldor 5 HP brush type motor here and its got some copper & iron in it (will squat a 1/2 ton truck). i was thinking about belting it up for some test welding when i get that far along before i get into coupling it to the 4 cylinder engine.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:26:13 PM
Subscriber

That motor will probably do for some tests at lower current settings. IIRC, mine is rated 200 amps @ 40 volts (8kW), and the motor is 15 hp. Might put an ammeter on the motor, to see what it's doing.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 01:53:27 PM
Subscriber

I had a little time today, so i got into the dirty work! just one of those favorite things we all do to pass time.LOL removing rusty 1/4" screws! I had to grind the heads off to get it apart, they had flat screwdriver slots in the heads and was no way they were going to come out with a screwdriver. had 7 of them and with a little heat and a tiny pair of visegrips they all came out. moved on to the control wiring, i got all of the conections broke loose without damaging anything. I still need to go get some wire, preferably the same colors that it had in it. Vanman i will get you a good picture of the polarity switch as i have it out. its a little more complicated than i thought, there is one part of that switch i cant wrap my head around? as for the 3m stuff to paint the inside with all i can say is WOW$!!!! there is a pump rebuild shop 10 miles from here that rebuilds motors, I may see what they use and try to purchase it localy. rewiring the controls shouldnt take long once i start. once thats done it can go back on the welder and free up much needed space. really only two hold ups right now 1) i need to get a bearing. and 2) there is one heavy wire maybe #1 or #2 gauge that the insulation is gone! as old and dry as it is inside i am not too keen on putting a flame in there to solider a new one back in. I would like to sleeve it to be honest.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:04:51 PM
Subscriber

Sounding good! Yeah, I'd imagine sleeving is sufficient. Maybe some tape first, then heat shrink tubing?

On mine the polarity switch is double pole, double throw and functions by reversing the polarity of the main field in the main generator. Exciter polarity remains unchanged. It can also be placed in the center position, so the generator remains unexcited.

This is how I set it when running it up to speed with a car battery, to ensure maximum attainable speed before throwing the three phase motor onto the single phase line.

Keith
Old 06-26-2019, 07:08:46 PM
Subscriber

well i went to town, picked up wire and terminals to do the job. got some of it done and i am pooped! my exciter has 3 wires going to the polarity switch, one on each blade then the third mounts in the middle it has a deal on it that makes contact with one blade but only in between the throws. picture 1st gear, neutral, 2nd gear. the middle wire is only in contact when in neutral so to speak.

---------- Post added at 07:08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02:41 PM ----------

oh forgot to add! i guess the one control is a rehostat? its the smaller of the two, it feeds into a resistor so i checked the resistor out of circut and it is showing a value whether its correct or not is beyond my knowledge. well i got new wire ran from the resistor to the rehostat and decided to see how it affected the readings. you can walk my digital meter from one number to the next the full range of the rehostat, now to me thats DAMN sensitive and almost impossible to believe as long as it sat out in the weather!!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53:48 PM
Subscriber

ok, somebody smarter than me riddle me this, got two heavy gauge wires that terminate to the brushes. no problem there low voltage high amp output to welding leads, then their is a third wire about half that size coming out of the stator and ties into the welding leads some how, WTH does it do?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:36:48 PM
Subscriber

On welding generators, it is common for them to be "differentially compounded". What this means is that there is a series winding that opposes the main field.

The result is a fairly high open circuit voltage, for striking the arc, but it drops off quickly with load. Resulting in fairly constant current, for the welding.

The more turns you have on the series winding, the lower the current will be.

On mine the series winding has a tap for every current setting. So there are a lot of wires coming out of the field, and the higher the current, the larger they get.

If yours has only one such winding, your generator may be designed to use armature reaction to limit current, and the extra winding may be just to allow another range of current settings.

Does one of the large wires from the brushes go into the field windings?

Oh, I would guess that the extra contact on the polarity switch goes to a field discharge resistor. It would be there to prevent the very high voltage that would otherwise appear across the field when the switch is opened.

Keith
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46:07 AM
Subscriber

Does one of the large wires from the brushes go into the field windings?

externaly it does, ties in with one of the wires coming from the brushes.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:59:55 AM
Subscriber

just went and looked thru all 21 pages in the welding section here, alot of threads just dead end with no resuls good or bad posted. it seems the 200 is the most popular, mine is a 300 and they made a 400. I think i will check the armature out shortly, it looks good but checking is easy and if its bad no point doing more. if it checks good on to finish up the control wiring and get the controls back on the welder.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:59:44 AM
Subscriber

here are some pictures of the reversing switch, hope they turn out ok. I dont know why they turned out dark, its a sunny day here and that was outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	25
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	337959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	337960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	337961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	337962  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 07:47:07 AM
Registered

I've been following this thread with interst and look forward to seeing a positive result. All I need to do is to try and understand half the stuff you are on about but it sure makes for good reading, thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 09:30:57 AM
Subscriber

I got the control box mounted back on the welder yesterday, man is that thing heavy! the apperance of the welder doubbled in size. forgot just how big this thing is when its all together, and to think i am going to add a 4 cyl engine to it! I think the controls are done with the exception of running the wires to where they need to go and cutting them to length. I have crossed the bearing number to a sealed bering, and need to order it. I talked to a fellow that works in another transformer shop and he should have the sleeving i need this evening. if i can get all of my ducks in a row we are getting close to making some noise! who knows maybe even a video if i can get my wife to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 06:28:31 PM
Subscriber

weighing out engine options, I have 4 choices and i am on the fence about it. I have a 30 HP wisconsin vh4d that has maybe two hours on my rebuild, so i know the condition of that engine and it already has a govoner. I have a onan djc that runs but condition is unknown and it has a govonor as well. I have a International harvester 4 cylinder that i reworked the bearings in that runs quite well and it has a govonor as well. then there is the fourth option, PTO drive it off of my tractor which has a fresh engine job in it also as well as its own govonor. thoughts? suggestions? would more than likley have to belt or chain drive it with the tractor or the wisconsin to get the rpm right. if i did my math right 300 amp @ 40 VDC would just need a little over 16 HP to run it, so i pretty much have that covered with any of the 4 options.......
Old 07-02-2019, 12:50:50 AM
Registered

With it's own power supply (engine) it will be more versatile and could be taken onto any site ready to use. On your tractor it is only good when on the tractor and your property.
I would couple up any of the engines that you are prepared to use for the purpose of driving your welder/generator.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post: