Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

A Thank You To Ken Meeks

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3278 times

Old 09-06-2010, 09:50:57 PM

Default A Thank You To Ken Meeks

A friend and fellow engine collector gave me a clutch for my Galloway engine (Thanks Alan). It is thought that this maybe the original clutch for my engine. The only problem was, it was missing the internal parts. Figuring it's going to be a long shot, I placed an ad in the classifieds. Ken was the only one to answer the ad stating that he had some clutch parts, but wasn't sure what they were for, plus another clutch for a Galloway. I told him I would see him at Kinzer's and look at what he had. By luck there was a clutch on eBay with pictures of the innards. I printed them out and took them along with me. After looking over the pieces he had, none were what I needed. He asked if I was going to Portland and I replied no. He offered to look for the parts for me while he was out there. I gave him one of pictures along with my phone number. The following week I received a call from Ken saying he found what I needed. His next stop was Williams Grove. So, on Saturday I took a ride out, which worked out great since I sold an engine and was to meet the buyer there also. After finishing the engine transaction, I went searching for Ken. After a short search, I found him and took a look at what he had. It was perfect and was exactly what I needed. When I got home I put the clutch together. All the innards needed was a little loosening, oil and adjustments. If it weren't for people like Ken, finding parts would be a lot harder. So, thank you Ken Meeks for all you do.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,163 Posts
Default Re: A Thank You To Ken Meeks

Gotta' agree!...Ken has helped me out on a few "tough parts" before...Great guy!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:43:58 PM
Subscriber

Ken is a great guy and has helped me out many times and I will do the same for him when I can. THANKS Ken Tom
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,976 Times in 814 Posts

I bought a cylinder from him years ago for a 5hp Economy. The cylinder was out of round. I contacted him and he met me at the Portland show and replaced the cylinder. He always seems to have the hard to find stuff.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49:42 AM
Registered-I

I will not deal with Ken Meeks anymore.I bought a clutch pulley off of him. He said it was undamaged and he could send it to portland for me. Upon picking it up I found that the engaging handle was cracked. He told me he would replace it, but have yet to see the replacement handle. I contacted him and told him, but he did not seem to care and even asked for more money. I do not know how they do business in Canada, but in the USA we stick to are word.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35:29 AM
Edwin

Ken Meeks has some good rare stuff, a bit pricey for me ,as for the comment made about Canadians,its got nothing to do with where you come from, plenty of the same type of people on your side too, try to remember that in the future.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01:07 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,202 Posts

Mark Young,
SOME of the engaging handles are made to be cracked. Cast in one piece, cracked into two pieces, and bolted together in one over a groove in the clutch.

About 10 years ago, I ran into Ken Meeks at the Waukee Swap Meet, and bought a magneto bracket and a Governor to fit my 12HP Hercules Champion which had been converted to a logsplitter.
I've never heard of Ken taking advantage of anyone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,694 Times in 598 Posts

Please understand that the man has a very good memory for an 80 year old, but he is 80 something. He also saves Sunday for the Lord, so don't try to do business with him on the Sabbath. Otherwise he's 100%.

This summer I traded a clutch pulley with him that he sold me the previous year with no hesitation. He has also delivered many a engine to my door step free of charge.

P.S. I hope my friends in the US "stick to their word" and make the right decision tomorrow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDP For This Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,147 Times in 626 Posts

I have traded with Ken,for many years.Yes he can be high,but he has it.I can not imagine what it would cost to pay someone to do the traveling he use to do,pay for the gas,and all. You could not afford to pay most people to do that,just to pedle a few parts. I could not see how he afforded it,the last few times he went to Waukee,no one there to pay for parts.
I pestered him for going on 2 years,to get this 3 hp Famous head. He sold it to me for over 35% less,than what people here in the states wanted,and half of what a man wanted for a head off of a half restored engine.Look how well it is boxed!!
He will be 80,I think in June. He is suffering now,from vision problems,but he always takes care of people. If you email him,and do no get a response,remember,it is his wife,at the appartment,quite some distance from his shop that reads them. He does not do the computer. She does it.He cannot go home at night,she forwards him info,via mail,and phone. You could call him.His number is posted on the adds here all the time. I am sure he does not read this,very much,if at all. I suspect the idea that the hand wheel was made that way is correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	148756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	148757  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matthew Guy Clarke For This Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,097 Times in 1,794 Posts

Seems like Ken has thrown in the towel! He is looking for an offer for all his engine parts filling in a 40 X 70 shed in Quebec.
It would be interesting to know how much he would take.
Denis Rouleau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07:47 PM
Subscriber

Ken did some real nice packaging. wish the Flea Bay people could come close.