Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

No check valves in Powell-Boson oiler?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2255 times

Old 06-29-2017, 11:37:00 PM
Registered-I

Default No check valves in Powell-Boson oiler?

Hey all,

i have three P-B oilers, one very nice and unmolested, along with an American Lubricator of the same style. I have been taking them apart to clean them for use, and i have not found the check valves inside them that i was expecting to find. I don't even see a location where they would be installed (not like there's a seat, but no ball or spring, but rather there's nothing at all that would indicate there ever was a check valve there).

It was my understanding that these oilers use two check valves in conjunction with the pressure/vacuum of the intake side of a two stroke engine to feed oil into the cylinder and prevent oil blowing back out. Were these oilers made in different check/non check configurations under the same name? I can take some photos if anyone would like.

thanks,

connor
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2017, 12:46:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,053 Times in 3,943 Posts
Exclamation Re: no check valves in powell-boson oiler?

I will have to look up mypowel boson drawing, but I do believe there are 2. One allows pressure to go to the top of the reservoir, the other allows oil out, but keeps presure from entering thru the oiling passages. if I remember correctly, the ball seat and retainers are screwed into the passages, and trap the balls in their respective passages. In the near future, The gas Engine magazine s going to print an artical and drawings I made of engine oilers. The Powel is among the ones i detailed.
Andrew
Old 07-01-2017, 07:19:15 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: no check valves in powell-boson oiler?

Hey Andrew,

I have the nice drawings and write up you made of the P-B oiler. I was using those as a reference when i took mine apart, which is why i'm confused. I'm hoping my lubricator without checks will still lube the piston OK. I'll get some photos to show you to see if mine looks like yours.

connor
Old 07-01-2017, 12:24:02 PM
Subscriber

I have same drawings and same prob, my powels dont have all the check valves or seats to match, the only balls are in the base that screws into cyl, ie the bottom one
Old 07-01-2017, 09:27:52 PM
Registered-I

Here's some photos.

photo one: bottom of drip tube sight glass. I have removed bottom plug and this is all that is there.

photo two: bottom cross piece. there should be a check valve in the location where the cross tube screws into the oiler reservoir. I don't even see where one could be installed, since this is one solid piece.

photo three: this is looking into the hole where the main shut off valve screws in.

photo four: same as #1 but a different oiler. you can see the glass is taking up the space where the check valve should be.

also in the very bottom fitting (where is screws onto the cylinder) on all of my oilers, there are threads in the ID. on one oiler there is a screw installed, removing it reveals nothing. no springs, balls, etc. the other three oilers have the threads but if there was anything screwed in, it is missing.

connor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2354.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	285602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2355.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	285603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2356.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	285604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2357.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	285605  

The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:07:20 PM
Sponsor

I recently (last week) had to take the Powel Boson oiler apart on our OCSP engine because an unauthorized operator filled the reservoir to the tip top and slugged the assembly The reservoir had to be drained down so there was an air gap in the reservoir sight glass, and so the oil feed sight was empty of oil. Our P/B has the checks I placed in the drawings. Powell boson made oilers for years. Yours might be slight design changes, still should operate OK.

I made my drawings from taking our PB apart to the bare castings, when we first obtained the oler. It was necessary, as the old oil had gummed and varnished the interior pretty badly. The sight glasses needed to be cleaned and new sealing corks installed. Also, if the engine backfires into the transfer passage (too cool a hot tube or too lean a mixture), the backfire will cause gumming as fuel burns in the transfer port. Bad for both the oiler and the packings!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34:17 PM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: no check valves in powell-boson oiler?

The Gas Engine Magazine has just published an article I wrote for them on engine oilers. They changed the drawings a bit, to make it easier to publish, but they did a nice job. In it, I detail the common, sealed, Detroit and Powell-Boson that is on our OCSP halfbreed engine.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:35:07 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: No check valves in Powell-Boson oiler?

There must have been design changes or something along the way, but it sure is strange that none of the several PB oilers i have feature check valves in them.

I cleaned up one and put it on my Pattin, and while it works you can see the pressure fluctuating in the oil reservoir. I think i'll probably attach the oiler to a tee before it goes into the cylinder to vent off excess pressure.

connor
Old 10-31-2017, 04:05:10 PM
Sponsor

If your Pattin is of a 2 cycle design, and the oiler is mounted to the crankcase, you cannot vent the oiler! If you do, crankcase pressure needed to force the fuel/air mixture thru the transfer port will be vented and the cylinder will not charge. If a 4 cycle, perhaps another reason for fluctuations - weak ring/cylinder wall seal.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:46:32 PM
Registered-I

The Pattin is a 2-stroke, but the oiler drips directly into the cylinder. I'd have the double check, but i think the piston covers the oiler hole for all or most of it's travel.