Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Regulator for Propane Needed

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 3351 times

Old 09-17-2017, 10:59:12 AM
Subscriber

Question Regulator for Propane Needed

I' m trying to get my friend's engine running to sell, but I've never worked with propane fuel delivery. It ran @ 10 years ago on propane at the seller's location and has been in climate controlled storage since.

Hand written instructions included indicate gas pressure to carb as 1 to 2 oz pressure, 4 oz max. I have an "wc gauge & found that 2 oz = 3.5"wc.

I need to get whatever is necessary that goes between a gas grill propane tank and this carb.

If anyone has this setup or can direct me to a source please let me know.

Thanks,
Rex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dbfmengine (557x600).jpg
Views:	331
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	291474   Click image for larger version

Name:	dbfm2 (600x600).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	291475   Click image for larger version

Name:	dbfmcarb1 (600x380).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	291476  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 06:45:47 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Regulator For Propane Needed

Just use a BBQ grill regulator, they are set at 11" WC and should work fine. They can be had for about $15 new.

good luck!

connor
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 07:06:35 PM
Subscriber

4oz max = 7"wc max.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:34:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,719 Posts

What I know, most engines will run at from 2-6 oz. 6 oz = 10 1/2" wc. 4-6 would probably be the better range. So 7" - 10 1/2"
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53:17 PM
eMail NOT Working

Running it direct with 11" wc will work, but it will be free-flowing... the equivalent of just dripping gasoline into the throat of a running engine, rather than with the KN in place, the engine's DEMAND will DRAW it.

In the fields, with a basically constant load, running free-flow worked fine, as long as the engine didn't shut down for some other reason. IF it did, the fuel would continue to flow out...

Of course, if the engine was running on well-head gas, if the engine stopped, the wellhead gas would either continue to flow (if there was sufficient geologic pressure) or would drop way off or stop after the pumping stopped... so free-flow wasn't an unreasonable scenario.

Actually, if you want it to run RIGHT... connect a 20lb or larger propane bottle's vapor outlet (not liquid) to a gas-grille regulator, then the output of that to a Garretson KN demand regulator INPUT. Connect the OUTPUT to the input of your Impco (or clone) 100-series vaporous carbeurator.

The other option, is to connect the 20lb tank directly to an IMPCO J, and then from the J to your CA-100.
The IMPCO J is a combination dual-stage regulator/vaporizer/demand regulator... tank pressure on the input, and demand level output. IF you needed liquid-withdrawl, it'd evaporate, too, but to do that, you'd need to pipe engine coolant through the body to provide heat for evap.

Propane pressure out of the tank varies... on a really hot day, you might see 230psi. On a -30F day, you might get five psi... sometimes less.

When propane is passed out of the tank, it must be pressure-controlled. Gas grilles use a regulator that does 'two stage' operation- drops tank pressure all the way to 11" w.c. in one device... Residential propane systems, though, typically use two, and sometimes three regulation stages before getting to 11" w.c... The common first stage pressure is either 10psi or 2psi, which runs underground to the house, and then another at the house that drops to 11" w.c. for appliances inside.

The Impco J has both regulation stages AND demand reg in one unit. A Garretson KN takes it from 11" w.c. Both connect to your CA-100.

What's the difference in the long run? Well, if it was a big, hungry engine, or on a particularly small tank (that doesn't have enough evaporation volume to provide stable output pressure under load), you'd need liquid withdrawl and evaporation. If you have a small enough demand, and large enough tank for direct vapor, running two stages of regulation and a Garretson KN will work best. My observation is that the Garretson KN is much more sensitive to load variation than the Impco J.

Have I thoroughly confused you?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 09:50:37 AM
Subscriber

dcamp, not trying to hijack this thread but could you use a gas grill regulator and then off of that use an acetylene torch regulator to fine tune it?

I am getting ready to set up my 15HP reid on a hot tube and I read where you can run the feed to the hot tube unregulated, but the feed to the engine itself needs a regulation device. I cannot handle the large 100lb propane tanks so I am going to purchase two 40 lb bottles. Any suggestions on my setup would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 07:32:58 PM
Registered-II

I believe that acetylene regulators shouldn't be used with propane, due to compatibility issues of the gas vs. rubber seals and diaphragm. This is only what i've read though, never tested it.

Also a torch regulator operates around 5-15PSI outlet pressure, so I don't think feeding it with 11"WC would work very well.

There are adjustable low pressure propane regulators out there that you could use to get whatever pressure you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06:46 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
The other option, is to connect the 20lb tank directly to an IMPCO J, and then from the J to your CA-100.
Which one? JB, JB-2, JB-3, JB-2ULC, JB-C-140, JB-C-725, JB-L-377, JB-R, JO, JO-2.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:34:00 PM
Registered-I

i seen guys use propane on acetylene cutting torches just to save money
Old 11-12-2017, 08:32:39 AM
Subscriber

Yes, a lot of the old time junk yard guys used propane in their cutting torches as it was cheaper and more readily available.