eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

Running engines tore apart to sell parts?

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 4154 times

Old 12-16-2013, 08:39:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,455 Times in 285 Posts
Default Running engines tore apart to sell parts?

I see this every so often and I guess I shouldn't think this but, What the heck are people thinking when they tear apart a good running engine. It states it in the listing. Just to sell the parts here and there off it. I find it hard to believe that a fairly common engine that would make a beginner collector a great engine, "A runner", should be torn apart just to sell parts of it. There are enough repo parts or true parts engines out there to not have to demolish a complete runner just to make a fast buck. What are your thoughts??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly Barnett For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25:29 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Running engines tore apart to sell parts?????

I think it called make money
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26:00 PM
Registered-I

There are several people here on the forum that do it and I refuse to buy parts from them and think they should be banned.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts

I know this is a sore/hot topic, but I once talked to a man who did this with a specific engine brand. He told me that for every engine he parted out, he made 20 engines complete and running. So, I guess there are good and bad points to be made regarding that. Although I'm not for doing this there is a good side to that. I never throw anything away from an engine that's totally gone. I once had a Nelson Bro's that only had a good set of flywheels and crank, block would have needed to be sleeved. That's all the guy had of the engine. I took the flywheels off the crank, saved the crank, flywheel, gib keys. Friend in the wide area, found a similar one that had been thrown down a hill and busted the wheels and bend the crank, othewise was complete. Guess what? With what I had and what he had, he made an engine that, to quote him ( if the wind blows on the flywheel spokes, it will crank) exageration but it did start easy and run great. Be it some salvaged parts or parts from a donor, they benefit someone and don't go to the scrapper. That's the true end of them for any of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11:48 AM
Registered-III

Salvage Dealers have always been around, and always will be.
There's Salvage Dealers for every market. Architectural salvage for old houses, Automotive, Heavy Equipment, Agricultural, Small engines.............The list goes on. Where would we be without them? Just about everything that's salvaged could be made whole and functional by someone with a mind to.

Right now I have 5 Baird Beaver Garden Tractors. Three are being made whole and Restored, 2 are being parted out to complete the other 3. What I don't need I'll sell off, or stick on the shelf for future reference.

I could make 5 running Tractors if I wanted to. But 2 are pretty far gone.

I'd rater see things salvaged and resold to somebody who can benefit from acquiring that "GEM" their missing to complete their project, rather than melted down for scrap and shipped to China.

It's also hard to sell a large Item as a whole unit, due to shipping, so your limited to your local market.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15:05 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,185 Times in 699 Posts

froelich, I know what you are saying about auctions. The auction that I bought my 318 deere at to use as my main mower was that way. The auctioneer sold the attachments early in the sale then an hour later the tractor w/the larger deck on it. There where several attachments for it but whats a guy to do with them should he not get the tractor. There was a pincor generator setup with a front mount to run it off the front clutch a plow a cultivator a snow plow a smaller deck and three point hitch for it and a tiller, but like I say what good are they if you don't get the tractor??? He made more $$$ doing so though! I could understand this, if it was a collectors sale but this was a small farm retirement sale and I would have paid appropriately for the whole lot.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10:45 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Running engines tore apart to sell parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Barnett View Post
I see this every so often and I guess I shouldn't think this but, What the heck are people thinking when they tear apart a good running engine. It states it in the listing. Just to sell the parts here and there off it. I find it hard to believe that a fairly common engine that would make a beginner collector a great engine, "A runner", should be torn apart just to sell parts of it. There are enough repo parts or true parts engines out there to not have to demolish a complete runner just to make a fast buck. What are your thoughts??
Not sure whos parts you are refering to but the only ones I really see listed as coming from a running engine are the ones I have listed on engine ads for ebay. These parts are all from a 1 1/2 hp Hercules and it would start right up and run all day. And had some really nice parts on it.

Now the only parts you dont see listed are the cracked and welded block which is still split open on the bottom. The two welded bearing caps. The welded crankshaft which wobbles. And the two cracked spokes on one flywheel.

So what your saying is because this engine runs great its a good engine for a beginning collector. I dont think so but I guess thats your opinion. Just because it runs doesnt mean its nothing more than a parts engine.

Fact is you try and sell an engine with a cracked and welded block, welded crankshaft, welded bearing caps, and a cracked flywheel is not going to happen. No body wants it other than for parts. I could take all the good parts off and buy another block, crank, and flywheels and put an engine together. But thats exactly what I am doing when I sell the parts except its putting a few engines together.

I dont put a reserve or a high buy it now price on my parts. They mosty start at 1 cent and sell for whatever they bring. Im not trying to make a fast buck and I cant controll what prices parts bring. Nobody wants a welded up engine so the easiest way to get rid of it is sell the good usable parts and throw the welded up junk out. Theres some good parts that can help other collectors out. And you are correct there are allot of true parts engines out there. Problem is they are usually all missing the same parts and thats why they are still parts engines. I dont like parting out good engines my self but there is no shortage of this model engine so why not sacrafice one in this condition to help get some better ones going.

I will attach some pics of whats left and you let me know if its something you want running next to you at a show or if its best parted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02001.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	182279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02002.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	182280   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02004.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	182281  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bryan Storey For This Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,270 Posts

Each individual has their own ideas of what is good,what is fixable and so forth.
But there are times like the dude that used to sell parts at Denton threshers and a few others from canada.He would buy a nice engine and take a hammer to it and bust it all to hell right there at the show and try to sell each peice for more than he bought the engine for.
It is all about fast bucks with some people.
My little fairbanks Style D has a welded head. Am I supposed to junk it out for parts just for a weld? DUH.
Most engines are welded.They have just been done right and are giveing service as display toys to this day.
Some period repairs are amazeing to see in person.
"how did they do that?" type thing.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54:26 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Storey View Post
Not sure whos parts you are refering to but the only ones I really see listed as coming from a running engine are the ones I have listed on engine ads for ebay. These parts are all from a 1 1/2 hp Hercules and it would start right up and run all day. And had some really nice parts on it.

Now the only parts you dont see listed are the cracked and welded block which is still split open on the bottom. The two welded bearing caps. The welded crankshaft which wobbles. And the two cracked spokes on one flywheel.

So what your saying is because this engine runs great its a good engine for a beginning collector. I dont think so but I guess thats your opinion. Just because it runs doesnt mean its nothing more than a parts engine.

Fact is you try and sell an engine with a cracked and welded block, welded crankshaft, welded bearing caps, and a cracked flywheel is not going to happen. No body wants it other than for parts. I could take all the good parts off and buy another block, crank, and flywheels and put an engine together. But thats exactly what I am doing when I sell the parts except its putting a few engines together.

I dont put a reserve or a high buy it now price on my parts. They mosty start at 1 cent and sell for whatever they bring. Im not trying to make a fast buck and I cant controll what prices parts bring. Nobody wants a welded up engine so the easiest way to get rid of it is sell the good usable parts and throw the welded up junk out. Theres some good parts that can help other collectors out. And you are correct there are allot of true parts engines out there. Problem is they are usually all missing the same parts and thats why they are still parts engines. I dont like parting out good engines my self but there is no shortage of this model engine so why not sacrafice one in this condition to help get some better ones going.

I will attach some pics of whats left and you let me know if its something you want running next to you at a show or if its best parted out.
I LOVE strawman arguments! I don't think anyone here would say you weren't justified in your choice to part this particular engine out despite that it ran. But I've seen within the last year or so several running engines taken apart for a quick buck. Even a 3hp famous upright.

I'm not against salvage dealers at all. But there is a distinct difference between a guy parting out a piece that is very far gone and the guy taking apart good complete engines to make a quick buck. I won't name names to be civil but there is one particular member here on the Stak who does it all the time. And I've seen it from others too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason W For This Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 04:01:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,073 Times in 652 Posts

Bottom line is the owner can do as he wishes. One person can not own all of them. Why worry? It is not like they are being melted down and sent to China. The ones that I see parted out are common engines, therefore there are people who need common parts to make their "common" engine run. If there was not a market for the parts few would be parted out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JHFoster For This Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22:32 PM
Registered-I

While it is true that the parts that do sell are getting used to better the next guy's project, which is all good, I have a suspicion that a lot of parts do not sell & won't sell. There must be a heck of a scrap pile somewhere...
I recently bought an Atlas lathe. Just try to find one of those complete. For every one listed for sale, it seems there are several that have been stripped down simply to sell as parts!
And no, I would have no problem with setting up next to an engine that had been weld repaired!
just my opinion..
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28:00 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 4,073 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPete66 View Post
And no, I would have no problem with setting up next to an engine that had been weld repaired!
just my opinion..
I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to that engine running with a welded crankshaft and cracked flywheels, I would do the same thing Bryan did, part it out before someone would get hurt.
CHECK OUT MY ENGINE VIDEOS AT
http://www.youtube.com/user/gasenginetom
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Winland For This Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 04:40:30 PM
Registered-I

Woops.. Tom you are spot on with that! I was thinking of that welded water hopper when I spoke.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:52:06 PM
Registered-II

I will take a running engine apart to sell parts
(1) They come apart better
(2) The parts are better
(3) I might get 10 engines running that need only one part
Doug Sather
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Sather For This Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 11:55:22 PM
Subscriber

Right on Doug, by the way thanks for the 3 hp Z head.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12:28 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,073 Times in 652 Posts

Greg, was the head still warm from the last run!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to JHFoster For This Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 03:42:46 AM
Registered-III

I collect briggs engines, and see it a lot on ebay. They will take a perfect complete briggs engine, and tear it down and sell parts. My thoughts are that there are enough broken engines out there to pull parts from, leave teh complete ones alone. Especially the fh, fhi, and rarer engines. But if it is broke, tear it apart, throw away the broken pieces, and save the rest of it. I have at least 10 tons of parts. There are at least 800 engines in my collection. There are a few dead ones in my collection that are only good for parts, but i have also fixed a few that should have gone to scrap. I have 60+ hours in a 6h vertical.
Don
The Following User Says Thank You to Fifty7ChevyNut For This Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 07:52:24 AM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 3,794 Times in 589 Posts

I find it funny how this conversation keeps popping over the years. I think the people with strong convictions should come up some engine commandments for all of us to try to follow. Here are some I just came up with.

Thou shall not part out a running engine or any engine ever!

Thou shall not profit from engines, unless selling to fund another project.

Thou shall not strap down by or lift from flywheels.

Thou shall not leave magnetos uncovered.

Thou shall not run an engine without water in the hopper.

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink For This Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 09:15:12 AM
Subscriber

Re: The Commandments:

Thou shall not part out a running engine or any engine ever!

Define Running. I had an Acadia with broken flywheels that I replaced with Associated flywheels. They fit, but were the wrong outside diameter. The engine ran well. Many engines have goober-ed together ignitions, missing sundries, etc. and still run. Speaking as one who has had to invest big coin to have parts made, I appreciate originals when available, and prefer original parts on my engines. I personally object to parting nice, original paint, complete engines, but it belongs to the owner who can do as they like. Rare and/or interesting engines should be sold complete, because there is less of a market for parts for these engines, and someone will get it going again.

Thou shall not profit from engines, unless selling to fund another project.

I adhere to this one, because I have only 1/2 of a 2-car garage to use for storage (for now), and limited funds. Many people are in this for the money, and that's OK with me, just be wary when dealing with them. I only try to buy engines that I want for my collection, because reselling is a pain, and it's easy to get burned. For me, it's a hobby/collection and not a business or investment (although it is nice when things work out for the better).

Thou shall not strap down by or lift from flywheels.

Gotta agree with this one, it's too easy to break a flywheel or bend the shaft. Only exception is if you make a piece of 2X4 to put between the tops of the flywheels to keep them apart when lifting. Even then I'd try to think of another way. I have used the flywheels for straps to steady the load when transporting so the engine doesn't roll over on the turns, but not as a main tie down. Better safe than sorry.

Thou shall not leave magnetos uncovered.

Nah. It's probably a good idea if its out in the rain, but in general, they are quite hardy and weather resistant. I've gotten Wico mags that have been out in the weather with no covers for longer than I've been alive, and have gotten them to work. Websters are even hardier.

Thou shall not run an engine without water in the hopper.

Throttlers, yes, hit and miss, not so much, unless they are working hard. They just need to run cool enough to keep the oil from burning out of the cylinder. In my area, there is a bigger danger of frost cracks in the winter than burning out the oil in the engine from lack of cooling.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Woody Sins For This Post: