Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Any one recognise this generator?

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 12966 times

Old 08-08-2019, 10:05:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: Any one recognise this generator?

I was recently given a gen set which appears to be identical with the one pictured in the post by Jumpa. The motor (HM80, 155253F, 4032D), would start and run, but not smoothly (governor hunting plus occasional backfire). The gas tank was missing but I was easily able to find a new OEM tank. Carb cleaning and rebuild kit plus new points and condenser was all it took to make it hum. The generator seems to produce juice just fine. The tube frame was cracked in several places so I bolted L steel along both bottom tubes, similar to the repair shown in Jumpa's photos. The odd thing is that there's no mfg. listed on the nameplate of the generator. It simply says "Generator". I've seen posts mentioning Winco, Generac and Fairbanks Ward as possibilities for mfg. Winco and Generac are both generator mfg. but a web search on Fairbanks Ward brings up almost nothing. Anybody know anything about the history of the Fairbanks Ward company? Also, does anyone have a guess about the age of the Tecumseh motor? Tecumseh had a cryptic system of dating their motors. (btw: carb as an adjustable low speed air screw and main jet if that might help with date of mfg.)

---------- Post added at 07:05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03:59 AM ----------

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 07:27:42 PM
Registered

I recently was given a gen set the spittin' image of Jumpa's red "Satan's Generator". My web research suggests that it was made (or at least sold) by the Fairbanks Ward Co. Can't find out much about that company. Would like to get some idea about the date of mfg. for my unit. The gen nameplate says only "Generator" and a model number, then 4000 watts, etc. and "Made in USA". The motor is a Tecumseh HM80 155253F ser. # 4032D. I have learned that Tecumseh had a rather strange way of coding the date of mfg. You have to guess at the decade. So the "4" in the ser. # could be 1964, 74, 84, etc. My carb has an adjustable low speed air screw and main jet. Also, the recoil starter housing is cast, not stamped. That might help pinpoint the year. Would like to hear from anyone who knows Tecumseh motors inside out and could take a stab at the model year.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:21:15 AM
Registered