Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

2 1/4 Galloway runs when it shouldn't

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1096 times

Old 03-11-2014, 01:07:32 PM
Sponsor

Default 2 1/4 Galloway runs when it shouldn't

Most engine starting questions are why an engine won't start. This post is why did it run. I went to start my 2 1/4 Galloway with batttery and coil, lubed it up, checked the oiler, primed and away she went on first pull - like usual. Problem? I forgot to hook up the coil, I had my battery charger hooked to the ignitor and grounded on the engine with the coil in my shop. The charger showed 0 amps except when the ignitor tripped and then it pegged for a second, no over amp circuit breaker popping. I started it several times and when I went to put it up, no coil, duh.

John
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 01:45:55 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 865 Posts
Default Re: 2 1/4 Galloway runs when it shouldn't

Because there was still a spark , all the coil does is increase inductance, you still have 'some' inductance without it so it could work no problem, potential difference will still span a gap when called upon, besides the battery charger will have coils anyway in the transformer . Might not be great for the igniter points though.

Joe
Old 03-11-2014, 05:00:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,050 Times in 3,942 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2 1/4 Galloway runs when it shouldn't

Your charger is in fact a coil? It only puts out 12 volts or so, and probably less than 10 amps? You are lucky you didn't run it for long, that kind of abuse will burn out the diodes in the charger. Also, running for any length of time will heavily burn the points!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01:05 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 2 1/4 Galloway runs when it shouldn't

Yes, the charger is acting as a coil, kind of. The charger likes to see something like a battery across it, something that looks like a big capacitor. Without the battery (and without going into a lot of electromagnetic theory) the charger is having one heck of a Tesla-esque spaz attack, especially when the points open, and you can generate one pretty good spark. You can also fry the charger. I was running a Fairbanks once this way - ran great until all the smoke came out of the charger. It stopped running about the time flames came out of the charger.