Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Convert diesel stationary engine from hopper cooling to radiator cooling

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 469 times

Old 04-15-2019, 02:42:03 PM
Registered

Default Convert diesel stationary engine from hopper cooling to radiator cooling

I have an old Deutz MAH 611 engine I would like to convert from hopper cooling to radiator cooling. I already have a fitting cooling plate, hoses, tstat to control a fan and a radiator.

So far so good.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a radiator which has diagonal fittings but both of them are at the top. I can't turn the radiator sideways due to space constraints. I slavaged the radiator from a scrape car. Unfortunately diagonal fittings on radiators seems to have fallen out of fashion.

Please discuss my cooling ideas. I have attached a schematic of what I plan.

The cooling plate has two outlets. One outlet reaches into the base of the engine. I would like there to return the cool water. The hot water outlet is tied to the cooler, with a coolant reservoir in between which also serves as the expansion bowl.

I assume that there will be minimal thermosipohning circulation. The cooler attachments and hoses are 40mm, this is plenty of dimension. But as the cool return line is not at the bottom of the cooler, thermosiphon will not suffice. As the engine heats up, eventually steam will develop. As the return line is protruding to the bottom of the hopper, I assume water will not be displaced through the return line but the stream will force water through the hot water line into the radiator. In the same time, cool water from the water will be displaced by the steam and return near the bottom of the hopper. Excessive steam will be able to expand into the cooling reservoir, additionally forcing the hot water into the cooler, additionally exerting cool water from the radiator back into the hopper.

I plan to use to water pump.

What do you think? Will this setup work? Or will it blow up? I know I can fit any time a water pump into the system but I hope to get away without a pump (which might fail).

Thank you for your ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooler.png
Views:	115
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	332773  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2019, 04:00:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,535 Times in 4,215 Posts
Default Re: Convert diesel stationary engine from hopper cooling to radiator cooling

As you have it diagrammed, thermosyphon wiil not work. Hot water rises, and cool water drops. As you have it drawn, you have 2 high hot points. The hot water/steam must enter the radiator at the top, and the cool water must go to the bottom of the cylinder. The piping has to rise to the top of the radiater, and the cooled return must fall to enter the bottom of the cylinder. As drawn, you would need a pump to circulater the water, and cooling flow would not be very effecient, as water is not getting to the bottom of the cylinder. or the radiater for that matter.

I would go to a local auto salvage yard and have a look at radiaters. You need one that has the inlet at the top and the return at the bottom. We have a radiater set up on my engine club's lister engine. It measures about 18" square, and re rigged a small fan to help cool the radiater. Water flow is by thermosyphon, and it keps the engine cool.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,091 Posts
Default Re: Convert diesel stationary engine from hopper cooling to radiator cooling

It looks like you're thinking of a condenser as used by Fairbanks Morse and other oil field engines, it was a radiator mounted on top of the hopper, as steam would rise it was cooled, condensed to water and dropped back into the hopper. This allowed the engines to run unattended in the field without having to add water. These engines would run right at boiling, but that is the ideal temp. Your design would not work, the radiator would fill with condensate and never re enter the hopper.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:12:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Castagnos View Post
It looks like you're thinking of a Your design would not work, the radiator would fill with condensate and never re enter the hopper.
It's not as you think. The radiator will be filled with water. Steam should press hot water into the radiator, displacing the cool water from the radiator.

I don't know if this design could work. I expect the hot water to flow through the inlet pipe as the return inlet is lower than the outlet and stream will create pressure to keep the water flowing.

Never saw this design though. Maybe it will blow up?