Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Russell at Sallee Auction

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2346 times

Old 08-27-2007, 08:18:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Russell at Sallee Auction

I thought maybe there would be someone comment on the sale this past Saturday in St. Joseph MO. that had Russell Engine 14579 at it. I went thinking that this may be a good chance at finally getting a project engine for myself. I had only seen it from pictures and was surprised when I got there that it was a much larger engine than I was expecting. I still am not sure what HP it was rated at but decided that it was probably more of a project than I should tackle right now. It did sell for $6500. The tubes had been cut out and much of the drive train was disassembled. Most of the parts seemed to be there except for the top part of the governor. With the tubes being out you could get a pretty good look at the boiler and there was someone there doing a UT, but I did not hear what they found out. I was just curious if any others were there and what they thought. I am probably going to kick myself someday, but I just had not given adequate thought to how I was going to get it loaded and transported 3 hours home. It was a lot bigger engine than the 20 HP Minneapolis that I am used to running and obviously had not been moved in many years.

There were many gas tractors at this sale and I thought many went pretty cheap, but I suppose that was due to the fact there was not a real good way to know too much about their true conditon.

Well gotta get packin to start driving to Rollag. 4 days of non stop steaming, I can hardly wait.

Darren
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15:51 PM
Bill Thurman

Default Re: Russell at Sallee Auction

I was at sale and was the one with the u.t., Boiler was "alright" but was going to need work in the corners on the bottom which is sort of a russell problem, If that engine had been anywhere else except where it was it would of brought over $10,000 easy. I was going to bid on it till I found out you could not take it out the east side of the yard and it had to go out the west side, I figured a tow truck and several thousand dollars getting it out of where it was setting, For you that was not there the engine was placed where you could not gain access to it with out ALOT of work, also the front smokebox was almost busted off of it so I would be afraid to even move it as I think it would be on the ground,so the front end would need to be taken off, only 30 days to remove and you would have to wait for the TONS @ TONS of junk that was around it to be moved before you could even think of getting it out, The way I figured it if you did not have the heavy equipment to get it out of where it was setting and had to hire it done,have it hauled,found tubes, you where going to have $10,000 to $12,000 in it which I thought was in the ballpark for value,A mennonite bought it in northern mo. It was a 25 H.P. 1911
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17:22 PM
Subscriber

Bill,

Thanks for the input. I had found the serial number list before the sale and new it was 1911 but since I am not real familiar with Russells I was not sure of the HP rating. I appreciate knowing that. I agree that the move out of there was going to be a problem and that is what made me keep my hands in my pockets. I was guessing 10-12K and told my dad that right before it sold. When I came home and told my wife what it went for she said, well why didn't you bid more for it? The one time I may have not gotten in alot of trouble for buying something like that and I let it pass Oh well, I will find one someday. At least I get to run some at Rollag.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10:16 PM
Registered

Did anyone happen to get a picture of it ?

Jim