Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

I-Mac

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1100 times

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,106 Times in 6,488 Posts
Default I-Mac

Well, I find myself with an I-Mac for work use. I am getting used to it and am beginning to like it; but there is still a level of comfort using the old pc every now and then. (still on Windows XP)
Anyway, what about anti-virus protection? Most of the work is on-line. I really don't know how the Apple system works but will there be times when I could be attacked? If so, what do I need to know.
I continue to use ESET NOD 32 anti-virus protection on the pc. It has served me well for many years.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31:41 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: I-Mac

My Son got Me A IMac in March , and it took a bit of learning , Microsoft , for many years , No anti any thing needed , i just keep up with updates and such. I shut it down over night once a month plus the router/ modem , and good to go I think You will like it , also good stuff at Tech Talk America/ David Cox. Also when You call Apple for help it is in Cal USA !!
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to OrgWayne For This Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17:17 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,147 Times in 854 Posts

I use Avast. Yes MACs need antivirus. My blocker goes off on websites at least once a month.

Once you get used to it, I think you will like a mac. Especially when you find it does not slow down with use like your windoze machine. I have a bad file on my hard drive so the disc checker runs 3 times at boot. I still boot faster then my wife's sllooowww windoze machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43:49 AM
Subscriber

G. You can keep your older PC and try Mint Linux it is free and stable no big learning curve I use it on my spare machine works well .Cheers Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Unwin For This Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,106 Times in 6,488 Posts

Thanks guys. I still have not done anything on the Mac re anti-virus. The folks I work for were supposed to get back to me re protection. I think they have an office-based system, but I am remote.
I seem to be using both computers about the same amount. I still have my scanners connected to the old one. I like the Mac and am very comfortable with it.
The ESET antivirus is due to be renewed soon on the old computer. I will contact them about extending coverage to the new one.
I still get calls from the helpful people from "microsoft" overseas telling me that my computer is in peril!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42:33 AM
Subscriber

I switched to iMac in 2005, never ever have I had any viruses. almost two year ago I had the Geek Squad @ BEST BUY replace the hard drive, while I was there I had them to install "Webroot secure anywhere" I still have always been safe.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:25:45 AM
Registered-II

How secure is Linux? I have been looking for an alternative to Microsoft for a while. I have decided that once Win 7 is no longer supported, I am done with them. Main issue I have with them is privacy and forced updates. I also hear that they are going to some kind of subscription based software model with yearly fees to keep things working.
I recently have Linux Mint set up on a old PC. I have been playing around with it for a few days, and while it is definitely different from Windows, I think I could live with it as long as it proves to be stable. It installed without issue on my Dell GX270 (2.4GHz single core with 4GB ram). Performance is fair. It will bog a bit with graphics heavy web pages. A faster PC would probably help greatly there.
I know lots of people like the MAC, but you pay a premium for their hardware. I am trying Linux because it is free and quite frankly, I am cheap. I would guess that because it is open source, intrusive software calling home to big brother would not be present.

Tim
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50:06 AM
Subscriber

You might want to start a new post " Linux " and then hopefully some more experienced people can post in . Still using Mint Linux now 18.3 still happy .Good luck Mike