Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Allis 20-35 running again after 50 years

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2290 times

Old 06-25-2009, 06:19:15 AM
Richard Sturdy

Default Allis 20-35 running again after 50 years

Yesterday, Garry Burbidge and I spent the day re-assembling the engine of my big Allis. The bores were honed and in went the pistons, complete with new rings. Shims were removed from all the rod bearings and they were refitted. On went the newly-planed heads with the rebuilt exhaust ports and freshly reseated valves, then the new manifold was fitted, complete with heat chamber for burning kerosene. The Eisemann magneto, which had been rewound and rebuilt by North Eastern Magnetos, was timed to the engine. Finally, the carb, complete with new float etc was fitted and the re-cored radiator was put in place. Incredibly, the worst job was refitting the awkward brass gland nuts on the water pump after repacking Now it was looking something like a tractor again and it was time to do a test start up. It was very hard to turn the engine because the new rings and tightened bearings provided serious resistance to hand cranking, but we took turns on the handle and just as we were about to give up and belt the Allis to another tractor, I gave it one more turn on the handle and suddenly it was running. The engine settled down to a steady idle and ran superbly, with a lovely sound. After a couple of minutes we stopped it, as we had no water in the cooling system (hoses not yet fitted) Next week Garry is coming over and we will finish all the jobs, but with a coat of Owatrol still to be applied to preserve the rusty old girl's appearance and bring out the patina of age. This was the first time that this tractor had run for at least 50 years and that first bark of an old engine coming back to life never fails to sound good. There will no doubt be plenty of other problems which come to light when the Allis spends the weekend working at the Onslow Park Show in August, but it is alive again and I am delighted. Many many thanks to all the Stakkers who gave me such friendly, helpful and essential advice at the beginning and to Norm Meinert, who provided all the parts that were needed to bring the engine back to tip-top form. When we finish the job, I'll post a few pics.

Tricky Dickie
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41:07 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default Re: Allis 20-35 running again after 50 years

Congrats, Trickie, on getting the old girl fired up again. They are a cool tractor and make great "music" with a straight stack.
You may look for bad bearings on the belt pulley shaft. Check and see how much up and down play there is when you lift up and down on the belt pulley. If much, there will be bearing noise, -a significant growl. These old girls were very good on the belt and usually show wear in this area, especially if the gear oil wasn't kept filled to the top of the cup on the lower left side of the gearbox.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:30:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,258 Times in 4,198 Posts

Congratiulations Richard

If we looke at your story,its going to be a wonderful tractor.
Wel saturday 11 september 2010 its Allis Charmers day in the Netherlands.
Its a tradition from the 70ís every 5 year, the last one was 2005.
Its a nice event with showing, plowing, culling, playing and for the people they want, at the end of the day a huge barbeque.
Maby if you have time you coult vizit it, with ore with out your tractor.

Wel hope you keep us up to date about your Allis Charmes.
I am not very much on the stack at the momend because we are very busy in the field.
Its very dry overhere and hope there is some rain coming.

Best regards,

Clemens Brothers
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,371 Times in 2,354 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Allis 20-35 running again after 50 years

Congrats, Dicky! Ain't nothing in the world sweeter than the first bark of a revived old engine!
Mike M
Old 06-26-2009, 04:33:19 AM
Richard Sturdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Johnson View Post
Congrats, Trickie, on getting the old girl fired up again. They are a cool tractor and make great "music" with a straight stack.
You may look for bad bearings on the belt pulley shaft. Check and see how much up and down play there is when you lift up and down on the belt pulley. If much, there will be bearing noise, -a significant growl. These old girls were very good on the belt and usually show wear in this area, especially if the gear oil wasn't kept filled to the top of the cup on the lower left side of the gearbox.
Phil, I checked the pulley bearing and cannot feel any play, so maybe I have been lucky. A few days working should highlight any further weaknesses which might need fixing, but overall she seems pretty sound.

Tricky Dickie
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 07-04-2009, 05:08:23 AM
Registered-II

"with a coat of Owatrol still to be applied to preserve the rusty old girl's appearance and bring out the patina of age."

Richard, Glad to here about the Allis, its the most rewarding part of old iron ownership, that first start in a long time and/or much work.
I was wondering what "Owatrol" is? It's sounds like the sort of stuff I could use on the Mogul and IHC Industrial 20. HH
Old 07-04-2009, 07:16:39 PM
Richard Sturdy

Harry, Owatrol is a proprietary compound which is available in Holland and is used to preserve iron/steel etc without imparting a colour. It is sprayed on and dries to a "silk" sort of finish, bringing out the patina of rust and enhancing any traces of old paint which are present. Gijs Koolen was I think the first to use it on tractors - his Aultman Taylor 30-60 is preserved with it. You should be able to get some through your JD business contacts in Europe.

Tricky Dickie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 07-05-2009, 03:51:49 AM
Email Not Working

Here are a couple of links that I have for Owatrol Oil. There is a UK supplier.
Lyn.

http://www.owatrol.uk.com/

http://www.owatrol.uk.com/docs/Owatrol%20Oil.pdf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyn Jones For This Post: