Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Huber Light Four Cross Motor

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 5113 times

Old 05-20-2009, 09:34:04 AM
Subscriber

Default Huber Light Four Cross Motor

I have been collecting gas engines for a few years but this is my first tractor. It is a Huber light four cross motor. I found it couple weeks ago and brought it home yesterday. It looks mostly complete and luckily nothing is stuck. A check of the serial number by the Huber museum showed it was sold on 3/15/1918 to G.F. Schlack & Son in Bryan, Ohio. I have searched the web but cant seem to find much info on these tractors.

Is there someone who has one like this that I could correspond with and get a few close up pictures?

Also it is missing one of the small drive gears that turn the back wheels. Is there a chance someone might have a parts tractor around? It has the drive gear on the other side so I have the option of taking it off and getting one cast.

Thanks, Bryan !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03356.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	54785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03355.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	54786  
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bryan Storey For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 11:29:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,237 Times in 892 Posts
Default Re: Huber Light Four Cross Motor

That is nice looking and very complete! Good save there!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44:06 AM

Thanked 19,992 Times in 5,882 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Huber Light Four Cross Motor

You did remarkably well for a FIRST tractor!

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of information about Huber floating around.
I found that out when helping with the "Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors" books. I called all over creation, talked to some great people, but got the same story over and over.
NICE find and good luck.......

Some Huber experts live in the Oxford area right here in Wisconsin.......and, coincidentally, their name is Huber.
With any luck maybe they'll check in here.

Maybe Paul Roidt can shake them loose......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,201 Times in 940 Posts

There're a considerable number of Huber posts, here and on the other old tractor websites; you'll have to be your own detective, running the various archives and gathering info from other owners/enthusiasts.
Ref's say the Light Four was produced from 1918 or so to 28/29, so you appear to have one of the earliest models; did the museum say how early??
Looks like it came with a Wauk "N", a 41/2x53/4, cast in pairs; not a very familiar engine to me, but probably more popular than the Hinkley or Stearns' in other models.
If you don't have an engine manual, and there isn't one on EBay etc, the Wauk eng hist soc should have one.
If you do have the "N", it looks like there were several engines in the series: N, NM, NU4, NU4R; bore is the same, not sure if all have the 53/4 stroke, and have no idea how many parts might interchange. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 01:29:44 PM
Subscriber

Bryan,

Nice find, what a way to start collecting tractors!!!

I sent you PM with Ken and Dick Huber's phone number, our paths have not crossed in a while. I would be calling them if I had your tractor.

I think there is an episode of Classic Tractor on RFD that features a newer Huber tractor. I think the owner is a brother to Ken and Dick. So that may also be another place to look.

Have fun with your new tractor.

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Roidt For This Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 03:16:29 PM
Subscriber

Paul,
I did get your PM. Thank you for the phone number. After I look the tractor over and get a little more familiar with it I will have to give them a call.

Bud,
That was all the info I got from the Huber museum. They didn't say when this model actually went into production. The engine tag shows it to be a Waukesha model R, 4 1/4 x 5 3/4. The date on the engine tag is FEB 2 1918.

I have found a few posts in the smokestack archive and on the web for this model tractor but it seems like most of the info is for the newer light fours and not the cross motor. Thanks, Bryan
Old 05-20-2009, 03:17:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,606 Times in 715 Posts

Bryan, what is the serial no. of your tractor?

David
Old 05-20-2009, 03:33:10 PM
Subscriber

The number is #1986.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan Storey For This Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 03:45:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,201 Times in 940 Posts

I have to correct myself on the Light Four; it looks more like too much information that doesn't match, like, f'rinstance...
(A) That Wauk N ref was from a 36 King prod catalog (rings, pistons, etc), which shows the N and NU4R as 41/2 bore; neither my 30 McCord nor my 38 Victor show the N, but the McCord shows the NU4 as 41/2x53/4 (which b/s matches the b/s in Std Cat Farm Tractors). The McCord shows no head gasket; one of the other tractor books (Googlebooks ref) said the engine was headless...
(B) other ref's give 1916 and 1917 for beginning of prod...
(C) The McCord shows engine as Wauk CU, a 43/8x53/4, cast in pairs (two head gaskets per engine), matching the info in the Std Cat, not a "headless", and NOT matching the b/s in the Std Catalog...several other period catalogs also name the CU; no other ref I have shows the "N"...
(D) the Wauk CU was also in the Rex, apparently a fascinating short-lived clone of the Light Four 12-25...
(E) "Light Four", also shown as "Light 4" was used for several later, heavier models with other engines, confusing matters, altho it appears the early "Light Fours" were all the 12-25.
It's not unusual for old parts catalogs to disagree (the ref books disagree at times, too); sometimes engines were changed during production, or the announced engine was replaced before prod actually started...
SO: what engine is in yours???
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,368 Times in 2,352 Posts

Bryan,
You might try to get in touch with Tom Diehl, I think his handle on the stak is "TWDiehl", or something like that, he hangs out mostly on the steam side. He and his brother are big into Hubers, and might can help you out.

Congrats on such a nice piece of iron, most any on here would be proud to have it in their barn!
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post: