Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

McCormick Deering 10-20 starting problem

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3175 times

Old 07-19-2009, 02:27:04 PM
Registered-I

Default McCormick Deering 10-20 starting problem

I have a '29 Mccormick Deering 10-20 that I am having some issues with. It used to start and run beautifully until the coil went out on the Mag.

While trying to figure that out, I thought it might be a carb problem ( I would get 1 or 2 hits out of the mag before it would stop sparking) I took the carb apart and cleaned it, then rebuilt the mag. Now I can't get it to start on the crank anymore, and when I pull start it, it smokes.

Gas dripps out of the drain hole when I try to start it, but the plugs seem dry. I've replaced the gaskets on the governer rod and where the carb mounts to the casting, as well as all the gaskets on the carb. Jets seem to be working OK in the carb.

Anyone know what I should try next? Is it a carb problem or still a mag problem????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tyler
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 03:14:50 PM
Richard Sturdy

Default Re: McCormick Deering 10-20 starting problem

Assuming that the mag is sparking ok, it sounds as though the carb float is soaked in gasoline and allowing the carb to flood constantly. The cork floats in those Ensign carbs were coated in shellac to prevent this happening, but the stuff degrades over the years and stripping your carb and handling the float may have been the last straw for the old shellac. Take the float out and dry it gently in a very low oven before re-coating it and you should be alright.

Tricky Dickie
Old 07-20-2009, 05:03:40 PM
Registered-II

I had the same problem with a 36 10-20 it started well be for i rebuilt it. I tryed all things my mag had also been overhauld & the guy who did the mag got the timing wrong in the mag (i hate that guy) the piston was half way down the bore before the spark came. I fit a mag of a running tractor & bingo. So if you have no luck with Tricky Dickies oven baked carb float suprize try the mag timing.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:07:32 PM
Registered-I

I'm waiting for new spark plugs and I'm going to recharge my magnet. The float works, but I question the use of Shellac??? doesn't the gas eat it???
Old 07-21-2009, 06:23:24 PM
Registered-III

Tyler use the clear model airplain DOPE it works well and the gas don't eat it.
Jeff
Old 07-22-2009, 02:25:03 AM
Richard Sturdy

Modern gas does tend to eat shellac, particularly if you leave the float chamber full when you stop the engine but there are modern materials which will stand up to the onslaught - some types of clear nail varnish will work fairly well and the model aeroplane dope suggested by Jeff sounds like an excellent idea.

Tricky Dickie