Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Model Pipe, Pipe Wrench - no marks left

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 4617 times

Old 04-09-2018, 04:56:33 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,191 Times in 4,003 Posts
Default Re: Model Pipe, Pipe Wrench - no marks left

For tiny pipe, I use either leather belting or a soft rag in several layers, and a small vice grip pliers (4") I clamp only enough to allow a grip on the pipe. The cloth or belt is wrapped around the pipe and then is clamped off to the side with the vice grip. This acts like a strap wrench. On these small pipes, you do not have to kill them dead tight. DO NOT use Teflon, as it will cause you to stretch the fittings until they break! With Teflon, you cannot judge how tight the joint actually is.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 09:41:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,144 Times in 330 Posts
Arrow Re: Model Pipe, Pipe Wrench - no marks left

Paul, One of my other hobbies is radio control helicopters, planes etc the larger size. There are a few companies that make tools for holding small shafts called a feathering shaft tool. See link below. These tools mainly made for metric size shaft's. Not sure if someone sells them in Fractional sizes. The tool has a roller type bearing pressed into them. The bearing will rotate one way but locks on the shaft when you turn it the opposite direction. I think you can purchase these clutch type roller bearings at most bearing places in the smaller fractional sizes like 1/8", 3/16", 1/4". The bearings are pressed fit in to the aluminum wrench with loctite. You would have to slide the tool off the pipe before putting a fitting on the other end. Amazing how good this tool works. You would think it would slip when you tighten it but it does not. Especially come in handy when dissembling small pipe. Seems like you can always get the fitting off of one end but then getting the pipe loose from the fitting on the other end is hard to do with out scaring the pipe. I don't think this tool would crush the pipe because it locks all the way around the pipe evenly.

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/Feathe...004_p_702.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For This Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49:02 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Model Pipe, Pipe Wrench - no marks left

Paul, what I have done in the past is to take the smaller Chinese needle nose vice grips and then use an endmill the same OD as the tube or shaft to be tightened, with the mill spinning slowly clamp the vice grips onto the mill until just before the jaws touch, now you will have the perfect form of the tube or shaft with a very nice finish so that you can clamp the vice grips and tighten without marring, just don't spin the pliers on the tube. That is the way I did all the wheel spokes on my tractor and combine. Works great. Tad
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tad Wicks For This Post: