Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

1/2 Scale Case 110hp Project

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 3258 times

Old 04-12-2018, 05:56:41 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1/2 Scale Case 110hp Project

The differential gears I used is out of a Ford 8n. The differential has nothing to do with the gearing (speed). The John Deere or Massey gears they use for the 1/2 65's would work. You just have to calculate the size of the pinion to get the speed you want. The differential just has to be strong enough to handle the hp.

---------- Post added at 05:56:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44:24 AM ----------

You could also change the size of the intermediate gear to get the speed you want. Whichever is less $ or fits the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2018, 09:15:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,672 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b7100 View Post
The differential gears I used is out of a Ford 8n. The differential has nothing to do with the gearing (speed).

You could also change the size of the intermediate gear to get the speed you want. Whichever is less $ or fits the best.
Is the casting set for a typical mainpinion, to intermediate, to differential? Is so, the intermediate size will not affect speed - changing intermediate size affects its input and output equally. The good news is that it can be sized to take up the space properly once you've determined the main & differential gears.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,641 Times in 858 Posts

Skuggar
Its my opinion that most half scale 65s are too slow, if i were you i would get to know someone who has a tractor or machinery boneyard and work out a deal with them to be able to try different combos of gearing and only pay for what actually works after returning what didnt. I have seen many combos that came from unexpected sources so there are many ways to skin a cat.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:56:41 PM
Subscriber

i agree, they are too slow. I also agree that now is the time for me to think of a different gearing setup that might make this one a little faster. If I can change gear sizes a little without making it look strange i'll do it. After doing the math it appears that this tractor will go 1.2 mph @ 250rpm if I use gears that are to scale & I hope I can do a little better than that.

I know i'd be giving up a little power in order to gain a little speed, but I don't think I would be spending enough time plowing or towing at shows with it to be concerned about that.

One other thing besides changing the size of the gears that I may look into is this "double speed" option that is advertised in the earlier Case catalogs, where the 110 could do either 2.4 mph or 5 mph. If that's something that I could replicate without getting too complicated or costly i'd consider it, but I need to learn about it first. I haven't found any pictures or diagrams or descriptions of that setup yet.

Chris
Old 04-12-2018, 05:02:21 PM
Subscriber

You are right greasy iron.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:29:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,890 Times in 765 Posts

Too slow or not depends on what you plan to do with it. Mine was modified with a chain drive to get it to normal parade speeds (2.5 mph). I went back to standard Terning gearing which is right at 1 mph. I like to pull extreme amounts of weight and do not like to parade.

The big bull gears are a problem. The biggest gears I know of are 55 MH or F30 Farmall bull gears. Neither of those tractors are especially plentiful in the junk yards. The other gears can be A JD gears which are easy to find. If you don't have a big enough bull gear, there isn't enough space between the upper and lower cannon bearings to have room for nice size fire door. I think that Terning used a 55 MH differential with an A JD bull gear as the diff ring gear. Bull gears were 55 MH, intermediate and crank pinion were A JD.

Another huge gear is the bull gear from a John Deere 9RX four-track tractor. There should be some fire damaged tractors in the late model junk yards now, but I have no idea what they would charge you for a set.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00:44 PM
Subscriber

There is penty of time to research the gear train. The best resourse for that infornation are the people who have built a 110. There are going to be issues with the 110 that we didn't have with the 65. Go to the shows. Talk to the builders. See what they used. The more time you spend doing that the better the outcome will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 01:33:51 AM
Registered

From what I’ve gathered in the old catalogs the early 110s used the same two speed setup as the 150 road loco. Low gear is keyed to the engine shaft and high gear uses the clutch. If you check out the Anderson industries llc page on Facebook there’s a fellow building one and he’s posted pictures of the gearing and other things related to it. That might help on how you’d go about doing it.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:44:03 PM
Registered-II

A bump for ya Skugger, keep the progress moving along.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:13:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4case View Post
A bump for ya Skugger, keep the progress moving along.
Hey, thanks. I'm still in a research mode and a decision-making mode on this project these days, plus i'm working to turn half my garage into a shop to build this thing in. I went to Wauseon and got permission from John Schrock to spend some quality time with his 110 and take some notes & photos. It was then that I noticed some differences between the 110 and other Case tractors that I wasn't familiar with - particularly, the absence of a quadrant lever shelf, and (this was the big one) the fact that the intermediate gear turns on its own shaft that lays across the engine bed, rather than turning on a trunnion attaches to the side of the wing sheet. This was completely new to me, I didn't know Case did it that way, and my castings set did not come with bearings to support a secondary shaft for the intermediate. If I want my engine to really look like a 110, I may have to figure out how to fabricate my own parts here.

Or, I could go a different way - it might be possible for me to use these castings to build a 3/5 scale Case 65 rather than a 1/2 scale 110. The dimensions of my castings are surprisingly close to a 3/5 Case 65. If I went for a 3/5 Case 65 I wouldn't have to worry about making a secondary shaft for the intermediate, and I could also put a full canopy on the finished engine rather than the 110 cab.

I plan on attending Forest City this September where I hope to see one or two other 1/2 scale 110s so I can see how others have handled the secondary shaft issue. I'll probably make my decision after that show.

in the meantime, if anyone has input or info to provide here, please be my guest!