Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin THD Fuel pump info

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1402 times

Old 09-02-2016, 04:28:32 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin THD Fuel pump info

I am starting to accumulate newer parts to rebuild my Wisconsin THD engine that is used on my baler. I would rather gather as many parts as I can before tearing it apart.

I cannot discern from the pictures in my manual if its the camshaft or the crankshaft that facilitates the running of the fuel pump.

Does anyone know which part or parts I need to look into acquiring so that I can get rid of the electronic pump during my rebuild?

I have currently had to try to install an electronic fuel pump because the portion that runs the OEM fuel pump is too worn to get it to operate properly. I had installed a brand new pump and it would not work right.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wisconsin THD Fuel pump info

There is a lobe on the camshaft which drives the fuel pump on a THD. Can you post some pictures of what you are working with? Do you have a fuel pump bolted to the side of your engine that is in non-working order? Those pumps can be rebuilt. If you need an entire fuel pump assembly it could be costly unless you find what you are looking for on ebay or so. I think it would take a lot of run time for the lever which actuates the fuel pump to wear the cam lobe. Chances are you can install a new lever/new diaphragm and you will be back in business. Lets see what your working with. Wisconsin's website has illustrated parts lists available for the THD. If you need a service manual I can send you a PDF.

Chris
Old 09-03-2016, 02:52:49 AM
Registered

I had totally replaced the fuel pump at one point with a new one. We were finding that the lever was not being properly moved on the inside to deliver fuel as it should have. so we removed it , bolted a cover over the hole and installed an electric pump .. the electric pump does not seem to be small? enough to run things properly as it tends to surge with no load unless we clamp off some of the fuel hose to restrict the fuel even more . . at this point in time its been a trial to get it to run well enough to bale the hay. It either lugs down , surges , it goes through the fuel like crazy currently.

I know that engine has been on that baler since I was a child and it may have been used when my Dad first got it so its been without much upkeep other then points, plugs, condenser and oil changes for at least 45 - 50 years

Plan is to tear it apart and replace the gaskets - I have numerous oil leaks at various spots at this point in time.

Rebuild the carburetor - for like the 7th time

Probably replace the rings -

Hopefully fix what every is keeping the normal fuel pumps from working on it - in the last few years - we replaced the pump with a brand new one [could not find a rebuild kit] After we learned the hard way that ethanol gas eats the rubber. It still would not work as the lever inside was not being properly lifted. So we placed the smallest electric pump on it we could find. We now use ONLY non ethanol gas in it. I still have the pump and hope to be able to put it back in use.

I have the "Instruction book and parts list" for the engine
just not being a mechanic I could not figure out which part actually actuated the fuel pump for sure.

Its been making a really loud rattling that has gotten worse over the last couple of years. It use to purr in a nice sounding way now it sounds really sick.

I am hoping I can get it back in good running condition
Old 09-03-2016, 02:25:23 PM
Registered-I

If the camshaft is too worn to operate the fuel pump, and you have rattling (rod bearings?) and high fuel consumption, it's probably time to get the engine evaluated for a full rebuild before something major fails.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:03:36 AM
Registered-I

If the engine has been baling hay for 50 years, it needs more than the suggested new rings and gaskets. It's ready for a full rebuild. Expensive. It's impossible to intelligently buy the proper parts before doing an internal evaluation.

About electric fuel pumps.........
The automotive type won't work. Too much pressure. Forces fuel past the needle/seat into the carburetor bowl, flooding everything. Need an electric pump that puts out a maximum of 2 psi. They're available. Just Google.

While on Google, check out the prices of good running used THD's and TJD's
Should be around $500 or less.