Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin ve4 upgrades?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2255 times

Old 07-25-2016, 11:38:29 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wisconsin ve4 upgrades?

The major weakness of a Wisconsin engine is its inefficient flathead design. They do not breathe well despite having huge displacement. You can make up for it by porting the intake/exhaust manifolds, fitting new stellite valves/seats with triple angle valve jobs, installing cam ground pistons, late style connecting rods and custom high compression copper head gaskets. If you want more rpms, its time to make a new flywheel, and enlarge the holes in the connecting rods for better lubrication at higher speeds. Most Wisconsin engines are nominally 5:1 compression, but they are built to handle much more than that. I have been running homemade waterjetted copper head gaskets on several of my engines with decked cylinder heads. I have not measured the compression difference, but im sure they are at least a full point higher than factory. They run all day long without ever throwing a fit. Even lugged down they run just fine. When is the last time you have seen a Wisconsin motor blow a connecting rod? The only time you will see it is if the engine is really shock loaded hard, over speeded or run low on oil. I am building a high compression VP4 engine with 8.5-9:1 compression for an application that requires continuous duty 1800rpm operation. I have not had it running yet, but I guarantee it will make much more power than it originally did. I have no doubt in my mind that the pistons and rods will hold up to the additional cylinder pressure. These engines are so overbuilt when operated under their rated speed you almost cant kill one. The crankshafts are induction hardened and the Timken tapered roller bearing mains are hardly ever a concern. The only engine I have ever heard of having crank failures is the VR4D, but that is a completely different beast than a VE4D. I haven't thought much into turbocharging or building a custom flywheel for one, but I have dabbled a bit into maximizing the power that can be drawn from them at standard speeds.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 09:40:30 AM
Banned

I'm always amused by the claims of poor design. There's a big difference between poor design, and proper use and application.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:26:36 PM
Registered

It's obviously a good design for it's intended purpose. But so is a Buick straight 8. When you try to double the HP some designs are better, like a small block chevy. I will do some more research on the subject or just do a little clean up on the ports and leave it stock. If nothing else it will still be unusual and the kids will still have fun. It's mostly for local pulls. The rules are fast and loose, nothing sanctioned or anything like that.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:04:45 PM
Subscriber

You can always "hot rod" it by swapping the jugs & pistons with a VF4.

Actually I would love to see a machined flywheel for one.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:47:00 PM
Registered-II

"When is the last time you have seen a Wisconsin motor blow a connecting rod?"

I bought a Vermeer 6-30 stumper a few years ago and it came with not one but TWO engines with scrambled lower ends, each engine seems to have thrown TWO rods (although one may have failed as the result of encountering flying debris from the first one). One engine looked to have been recently rebuilt. Neither engine was repairable because the camshafts were broken, etc. there truly wasn't enough left there to fix. And these weren't the only ones I'd seen over the years, although I never blew one up myself. As I said, decent engines if you treat 'em gentle and keep up on the maintenance - and DON'T overspeed 'em!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:20:49 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,996 Times in 3,901 Posts

I have seen over 1/2 a dozen grenaded V-4s. Most blew from over speed ("I wanted it to go faster"), or lack of oil. More common was the loss of a head. Either wrong heat range spark plugs or blocked cooling was the main cause (mouse nests in the blower housing). As others have stated - keep the RPMs in the proper range, keep it full of oil, and don't overload suddenly, and you should be good!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:47:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,328 Times in 2,146 Posts

The problem with the flathead V4's is the rod oiling. The pump passes oil into a gallery in the block. There are four squirt jets in the block that shoot oil towards the rods at a resounding 7 psi into a hole in the rod cap to accept that oil. Overspeeding them won't allow enough time during rotation for oil to reach the bearing. If you keep them ~2600 or less rpm they'll run for thousands of hours. Over that and they make a loud bang noise. But they'll only make that noise once. *Also a problem if you run heavy oil in winter as it won't flow very well while cold.

The overhead valve V465 is a bit different as it pressurizes the center main which feeds the rods through a drilled crank.