Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin engine assembly lube

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 783 times

Old 11-08-2016, 07:36:17 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin engine assembly lube

I'm about to start reassembly of a VG4D. Is there a preferred assembly lube to use on the rod bearings and camshaft?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2016, 07:54:24 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,976 Posts
Exclamation Re: Wisconsin engine assembly lube

I would use either SAE 30 oil or an enhanced lubricant like Lucas oil additive. You want something that will stay in the bearings until oil flow is established to all the bearings from the pump. For pistons and cylinders, a liberal spray of WD-40 during assembly, and a 2 or 3 second shot into the cylinders, thru the spark plug hole, before start up, will help a lot. If possible, and the engine has an oil pump, do not forget to prime the pump. Also, if oil filter equipped, fill the filter to the top with fresh oil before installation. Remember - the most wear comes in the first minute of operation, or until oil circulation is established. On first start up, every second counts!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:11:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin engine assembly lube

Things change, but we usta mix STP and 30 wt oil half and half and use it as an assembly oil. It helps if two people do this, one with the oily hands and one inserting the part. Saves wiping hands to go to the next step.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:38:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,525 Times in 377 Posts

You can use any oil stabilizer, Lucas happens to be one of them but a generic brand will do
Old 11-08-2016, 08:42:46 PM
Subscriber

Lubriplate used to and may still have a very thin white grease, so thin oil came out with it. Use on bearings and particularly on can lobes. Go with just oil on bearings of splash lube engines. Above grease is white and so thin as soon a oil pressure hits it it is gone but cam lobes are lubed by splah in almost all engines so it hangs on a little while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Karrow For This Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:49:12 PM
Registered-III

I've built scores of Wisconsin engines, and have only ever used Federal Mogul Assembly Lube. I use copious amounts on the pistons, lube the ring landings, lube the valves, lube all crank bearings, rod bearings, basically everything that turns. I like it because its sticky and holds strong. SAE30 will drip off critical parts if the engine is not built in a timely fashion. WD-40 is the most useless and overrated oil of them all. I have never found one good use for it. I change the engine oil after the first hour of run time with fresh Rotella T-1 SAE30, and then every 50 hours or so of run time after that. A VG4D will only have about 5-7psi of oil pressure, so as Andy mentioned, make sure to pull the plugs and crank it over a bit to make sure oil is getting where it needs to be. Usually cracking the line to the governor is a good visual on whether the pump is working or not.

Chris
Old 11-08-2016, 10:04:56 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
I've built scores of Wisconsin engines, and have only ever used Federal Mogul Assembly Lube. I use copious amounts on the pistons, lube the ring landings, lube the valves, lube all crank bearings, rod bearings, basically everything that turns. I like it because its sticky and holds strong. SAE30 will drip off critical parts if the engine is not built in a timely fashion. WD-40 is the most useless and overrated oil of them all. I have never found one good use for it. I change the engine oil after the first hour of run time with fresh Rotella T-1 SAE30, and then every 50 hours or so of run time after that. A VG4D will only have about 5-7psi of oil pressure, so as Andy mentioned, make sure to pull the plugs and crank it over a bit to make sure oil is getting where it needs to be. Usually cracking the line to the governor is a good visual on whether the pump is working or not.

Chris
Hi

Agreed with most all of this the only thing I have to say is any oil stabilizer will do the job. I us STP for every assembly from hydraulic cylinders to piston and rings in aircraft engines, Wisconsinís and diesels.

The biggest mistake I have ever seen on assembly is using the wrong fitting in the governor oil supply line make sure it is the restricted fitting or you will not get oil pressure.

I once had a fellow tell me he has spilled more hydraulic fluid than I had ever used. My comment to that was he must be a very sloppy hydraulic technician. LOL

Phil P
Old 11-09-2016, 12:34:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,117 Times in 3,976 Posts
Exclamation Re: Wisconsin engine assembly lube

I only mentioned Lucas as a brand name I knew. STP, Lucas Bardahl, there are many heavy additives that make oil stick to surfaces. Most will work well. As for WD-40, it is used to help the rings get a liquid seal for a few seconds before start up. You want the rings to seat in as quickly as possible,, and I have found it to do the job I want. Other opinions may vary! One thing you need to do is to load the engine in varying amounts. Just letting it idle without a load will not help the rings to seat. Start, let idle for a minute or two, until you are sure you have oil pressure, then vary load and speed. After a few minutes, let idle and shut down, and inspect for leaks and free turning. if the engine seems to bind up - you may have to go back in to check clearances. Check head and cylinder temperature to see if excess heating is evident If all looks good, continue. Do not be afraid to load the engine heavily after a while - load will help break in! I would use a diesel rated oil like Rotella T, as it has the high pressure additives needed for cam lobes and high load areas, unlike auto oils. I would not use automotive oils in your engine. Use an oil made for small engines or diesel rated. Hope all works out OK.
Andrew