Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Very early Wisconsin

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1853 times

Old 10-03-2016, 06:29:30 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Very early Wisconsin

That's actually Turbo's engine, not mine. But I second your comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2016, 08:53:54 PM
Subscriber

Well after disassembling this engine I have determined it is too far gone to save with out a parts donor. Here are the issues; the magneto coil is dead, the camshaft is badly worn and missing teeth, the mag drive/fuel pump gear is so worn you can shave with it, the fuel pump eccentric has a 1/2 inch deep groove worn in it and someone brazed a chunk of steel onto the fuel pump lever to compensate!, the piston has at least 1/4 inch clearance, the ring grooves are worn badly, and the carb is rough but is soaking currently to see if it is salvageable. I'm sure there are no OS pistons available so my question is if there is a newer model that will interchange some internal parts? If not this engine might end up being a parts engine! Unfortunately there are very few usable parts! Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 06:39:15 PM
Subscriber

Well let's go through it one at a time.

I am not sure about a coil for that mag. You can use any mag off that series or the ADH/AEH/AFH/AGH/AHH. A working (not rebuilt) one will run you $25 - $50. A Wico A is also common for these & not too hard to find.

The camshaft from an AEH or AEH should work. Without seeing the set up, I am not sure if the mag drive/fuel pump gear is the same.

The fuel pump eccentric is probably unique. I suspect that you could have it welded & reground, but that would not be cheap. I would be tempted to try something like braze &hand file/sand it.

A piston from an ADH would work. If it is truly that over sized, it could be bored out & an AEH piston used. Or you can put a whole other jug on it.

Really the fuel pump eccentric & maybe the mag drive/fuel pump are the big problems. They are really uncommon. Where are you located?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58:09 PM
Subscriber

I'm located in New Prague, MN. As for the magneto, I have delt with this early wico "sandwich" magneto before on a early IHC LA engine and I know coils are notoriously bad. I did find a source that rewinds the coils. As for the rest of the engine I plan to find a parts engine. I have been in this hobby for over 20 years and this is by far the most worn engine I have ever seen! I'm sure it was still running too. Shows how tough these Wisconsin's are. Thanks for the great info. I'm on the hunt for a AHH parts engine. As for the fuel pump drive I may build one. That will give me an excuse to buy an index tool for my mill.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:39:36 PM
Subscriber

Look for an AEH (or less common ADH), AHH is bigger.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:05:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Zira, your right. I mis-typed. I meant Aeh. I have a couple ahh engines and they are much larger. Although as much as this bore is worn it might take a ahh piston to fill it!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:23:21 AM
Registered-I

I have an AE that's missing the tag on the shroud. Could you post a pick of the tag, I've never seen one. If you decide to part it out I would be very interested in the tag. Is it brass?
Thks