Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

1964/5? Wisconsin AENLD 9hp King Midget

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 1936 times

Old 11-26-2016, 10:47:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: 1964/5? Wisconsin AENLD 9hp King Midget

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up getting it removed - I had to "make" a tool so I could use an impact to break it free - at least the outer piece, then I ended up using 2 different pullers to get the rest of it out of there - the last one had a key and set screws also. Here is a pic of my homemade tool and the 4 pieces that came off. Thanks again. Later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161124_134939a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	268814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161124_144420a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	268815  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2016, 09:26:43 AM
Subscriber

Combination centrifugal clutch & variable speed pulley (aka torque converter)? I had an AEN with that set up once, always wondered what it came off of.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:10:04 PM
Registered-I

OK.
I admit that I can't figure out from the pictures how this drive works.
One belt drives the generator.
It looks like the other two belts run from the crankshaft to a the same jackshaft. ????
One looks like it's on a centrifugal clutch / torque converter.
Wat does the other one do?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:01:21 PM
Registered-II

Just a note on set screws---Some companies (maybe Cub Cadet ) use 2 set screws per hole, one on top of the other. If you remove 1 short screw and the pulley is still stuck, check for the 2nd screw! Only took one time to remember that one!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info and heads up on the set screws.

I also, do not understand how this set up works. In the literature I've seen online, it keeps saying it's a "2 speed automatic". I've got the "jackshaft" or what I was referring to as a gearbox off now, but haven't had time to open it up yet to see what's in there. I'll keep taking pics and posting up here as long as there is interest. Thanks. Later.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:55:57 AM
Registered-I

So, I asked my friend Google how this thing works. There's actually a ton of Midget information on Google.
There is actually a gearbox transmission on the downstream end of what I was calling a jackshaft. Its function is forward / reverse only.
Here's the deal with the double belts:

… And the transmission is just phenomenal from an engineering standpoint. It’s so simple. You have two belt drives with two forward gears and one reverse. The belt drives come off the engine — one for low speed and one for high — and then when it gets up to speed, at about 15 or 16 mph, there is a ball that slides and automatically puts it in the higher gear. It’s just incredible, and it works! It’s so simple, and they never failed.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:49:06 AM
Registered

Yeah, I've seen that info as well, but still don't get it. I don't see any ball or a way that anything can slide. I opened up the gearbox yesterday and can see how it operates for forward and reverse but the two speeds is still not making a lot of sense. It looks more like an expanding clutch setup. The two clutches look like they would expand and grab the pulleys as they spin at different speeds. But the two I have also feel like they are froze up - or maybe the springs are just really stiff. I don't know, I'll keep messing with it as I get time and see what happens. Thanks again for the help. Later.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:35:06 AM
Subscriber

Just a guess... There is a conventional centrifugal clutch inside the "low speed pulley" that engages the normal way to get you moving from standstill. This is the pulley on the outside end of the crankshaft. The "high speed pulley," which is the one inboard on the crank, will now be spinning slower than the crank. At a certain speed, a centrifugal clutch on this "high speed pulley" will engage with a drum on the crank, and lock the high speed pulley to the crank. There must be an over-riding clutch inside the low speed pulley / centrifugal clutch, because the low speed pulley on the crank will now be spinning faster than the crank. Look to see if there is a one-way clutch or sprag inside the low speed pulley / clutch mechanism. Maybe this is the "sliding ball" thing mentioned in a previous post.

Of course I could be wrong and it works in some other way. I sure would like to know how it DOES work!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00:56 AM
Registered

That kind of makes sense beezerbill. I'll check out the pulleys a little closer when I mess with it next time. Later.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:10:57 PM
Registered-I

Without spending big bucks on a repair manual, I can't find info on the exact two speed unit that is in the King, but many similar examples were made before the development of the CVT belt drives like the ones used in snowmobiles. I see that later King Midgets abandoned the two speed in favor of the CVT.

Beezerbill nailed it. One clutch ("low gear") engages at low engine speed, and remains engaged throughout the engine RPM's. At higher engine RPM's the second clutch ("high gear") engages and an overrunning mechanism disengages the low speed pulleys from the output shaft.

The drawback I see with this system is that there is no engine braking when in "low gear." If you're going downhill and take your foot off the gas, the high speed pulleys will slow the vehicle until their centrifugal clutch releases, then the low speed pulleys will allow the vehicle to free-wheel, due to the overrunning mechanism.

Unless the owner's intent is 100% original restoration, installing a CVT from Comet Industries might be a better solution than trying to resurrect the remains of the original two-speed. ?????