Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Drawing from several gasoline jugs at once.

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 1061 times

Old 01-17-2019, 02:31:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,470 Times in 4,679 Posts
Default Drawing from several gasoline jugs at once.

Don't have large gas tank yet, so for this storm figured I'll use 6 gal plastic gas jug with metal tube stuck down opening on top. Would give my 7NHM ~ 10 hour run at night, but double would be nice.

Figured could Tee two tubes and stick each down a separate tank and tanks would likely draw down equally (become empty at same time). Bottoms of tanks have to be at same level, and likely don't want one tube going higher above Tee than the other ( or might not draw down evenly by that difference-- air in line)

Haven't tried it but I think it would work, because for a given pump vacuum the gas would be drawn up each tube same amount ( over level of gas in tank). So if one tank had higher gas level it would be easier for pump to draw from that tank, and that should continue until gas level in both tanks were same

Also once air got out of lines, gas might siphon between tanks to equalize the gas level. So likely need to use same height tanks, so gas won't spill out shorter tank

Any one try this?

Last edited by len k; 01-17-2019 at 08:27:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 02:34:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Re: Drawing from several gasoline jugs at once.

I believe the military did that with jerry cans.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:58:00 PM
Registered-II

Im not sure if a tee would work. Seems like it would be easy to loose prime doing that. What you could do, and I have done (but with water and not gas), is to draw from one can normally, and put a loop (a U shape) tube that has been primed between the first can and the second. The U tube will act like a siphon (the two fuel cans need to be sitting with their bases at the same height) and will keep the fuel levels in the two cans even as the genset draws from one of them. You dont have to worry about your genset loosing prime this way.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 04:21:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,253 Times in 4,036 Posts
Exclamation Re: Drawing from several gasoline jugs at once.

here is how I did it years ago: Fill both cans near to the top. make a syphon tube long enough to reach the bottom of both cans, while they are on the floor. raise one can above the other and syphon fuel from one can to the other, making sure the flow of fuel has no bubbles in it. Submerge the end of the syphon below the surface of the fuel in the lower can and then lower the upper can until the bottoms are level. make sure the end of the syphon tube stays under the fuel when lowering the upper can. Make sure the tube reaches the bottom of the cans, and be sure it does not make contact with the bottom itself. Now you can draw from one can and the fuel will self level until the syphon tube gets exposed to air. Top off the cans and you are set. If you have a 3rd can, you can refill your set up as you go. The raised fuel level in the can you refill will transfer to the other can until the fuel levels are equal.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16:18 PM
Registered-I

Cut the ends of the tubes at about a 45* angle and then when they hit bottom they won't be stoppered up by the bottom. Also, this might limit the amount of water withdrawn, if any in the fuel sources. Works better on metal than plastic, but you can put short metal ends on the plastic tubing and do the same thing. zuhnc
Old 01-17-2019, 06:23:25 PM
Subscriber

Think about it this way:

Two tubes in one tank is exactly the same as two tubes in two equally filled tanks.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:17:42 PM
Registered-II

They make rubber bushings to put in gas tanks to hold in metal fittings. Snapper had 90 degree plain or shut-offs. Drill low and on the side 2 tanks and connect with a piece of fuel line. You could "daisy chain" several tanks as wanted. Snapper number was 7012337, plus several other sources. All tanks would drain at the same time, put shut-off on last tank, use as "reserve". All tanks would have to be at the same level or lower tank vents would need to be plugged.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,470 Times in 4,679 Posts

When I used gasoline squirt bottle to start my 7NHM I noticed watery layer on bottom, ethanol sucked it out of the air over 1/2 year.

So I just in case....was going to cut end of metal tube I put in tank , so it would only pull gas from ~ 1 inch off bottom. I figure cutting off 1/2 the diameter of tube will work, so remaining C shape of tube will keep tube opening off bottom.

I like the siphon idea, but from experience it's a bit of work to get hose filled with gas and no air. I've got some nice Tees from coke-cola hoses that I think will seal well. Pump likely pulls enough flow that it will purge any small air leaks, likely good enough. This is only temporary till I set up a larger tank, so don't want to put holes in gas jugs.

Last edited by len k; 01-17-2019 at 08:28:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:33:24 PM
Registered-II

Len, maybe you could use a water separator like is common on diesel sets. Seems that would be more reliable than just arbitrarily setting the intake tube to some level above the bottom of the fuel tank.

Old aquarium trick for keeping a siphon in a big tube going: use a small tube (aquarium guys use airline, which is about 1/8 tubing) teed off of the highest point on the larger siphon tube. The small tube is primed as a siphon and tends to suck any little bubbles out of the big tube to keep it free of air. Its not a 100% reliable trick, but it does help.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 08:37:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,716 Posts

You can always go to Home Depot and buy a plastic garbage can and lid. Fill the garbage can to your desired level with gasoline, place the lid securely on the can, puncture a small hole in the lid and run your generator's fuel line through the hole and to the bottom of the plastic garbage can. Try to get the lid to fit as air tight as possible, but with enough venting to allow the gasoline to be sucked in through the hose. You can get way more than 10 gallons of fuel in garbage can.

JohnnyC
New Jersey