Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Vickers Steering Booster Cylinder

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 513 times

Old 10-11-2018, 09:28:34 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Vickers Steering Booster Cylinder

Hi Jeremy,
way back when Cat No12 Graders here in Australia, with Serial Numbers 21F 1 - up, I think had the Vickers S23-Series style boosters fitted.
These were Australian built units from the Cat Plant here in Tullamarine Melbourne Victoria Australia.
Did work on a few when I worked at The Cat Dealer.
I recall you had to centralize the actuator spool by removing the ball stud and its seats to access the actuator spool adjustment slot.
Also a plug in the side of the main body had to be removed. This plug allowed access to a drilling that aligned to the cylinder end of the actuator valve spool lands.
The valve has lands that can be seen in this drilling so that when a suitable sized Allen key wrench is fitted into the slot machined in to the valve spool, between the pair of lands, so that the spool can be adjusted in and out with a screw driver--after removing the circular castellated lock plate behind the inner ball stud seat-- you can get to the screw driver slot to adjust the spool in and out to centralise the key--valve spool lands-- in the drilling.

As there is a slight loss of actuator piston area due to the cylinder rod area on one side of the piston, there will be a bias to one side to set a pressure differential so the rod remains stationary.

I seem to recall that we did this on the shop work bench using shop air pressure supplied into the pump/valve supply port to adjust the balance so as you tried to move the rod in and out it was equal force or maybe when pulled/pushed it stayed stationary--if not central/equal then you could overcome the rod and move it--bit hazy on this and some experimenting may show what I am trying to say --never heard of one needing to be re-set on the machine after setting on the bench but who knows.

From memory Cat 922,944 wheel loaders and some early wheel tractor/scrapers, 769 Dump Truck etc. had a variation of these units fitted and I am sure their Service Manuals would have a clearer procedure than I have attempted to write from memory of some 40 odd years back.
I also recall seeing these units on Euclid dump trucks and Michigan wheel loaders as you have, and some on-highway trucks as well.

I am sure with shop air connected and trying to experiment you will come to see how it works and be able to set it up.

Googling did bring up a hazy manual but did not have the adjustment procedure given.

Hope this helps.
If you need to know more please ask and I will try and help further.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2018, 11:05:39 PM
Registered-II

Eddie,

I think I am following what you are saying. I took the cylinder apart again today and took a couple pictures and looked at it carefully with what you had said in mind. I have attached a couple of pictures of it. The first picture has the largest allen wrench in the spool valve, but he rest of the valve is approx. 1/2" from being seated. I found no way to get it any closer. The 2nd picture is of the whole assembly.

I was able to get the cylinder on the loader and start adjusting it with the screw in the end. The cylinder only runs on 50psi of hydraulic pressure though, and I found nothing to adjust this, as the supply line comes out of the pump.

I got it to where it steers equally hard left and right, but as I said it was hard. In fact when I was driving it out of the shop the steering box shaft twisted off.

Thanks

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181012_085959.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	320701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181012_083630.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	320702  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:14:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,109 Times in 595 Posts

You should have way more pressure than 50#. Is the steering the only thing the hyd pump supplies or does the hyd oil come from the main pump of the loader? You may have a priority valve not working.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:17:01 AM
Registered-II

Hi Jeremy,
from memory there should be 4 equal sized lands on the control spool--two each end of the spool. The right Allen Key flats (seem to recall about 1/8" or 3/16"0 should be a neat fit in between one pair of the valve end lands--your valve looks different to any I have worked on as it appears to have only one pair of lands, so, looks like I am not much help.
The relief valve, spring and seat should be under a largish cap in/on the main housing on the units I have experience with.

The operating pressure can vary between one machine maker/application and another--I feel/think I recall that 1000 psi would be an absolute maximum pressure for these units.

Wow, I cannot believe the shaft sheared. Sounds like parts could be missing or incorrect in your booster and causing your problems.
Best Regards,
Eddie B.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:32:10 PM
Registered

I noticed in one of your pictures that the cyl assm has a brass N/P. Can you decipher the P/Ns. I suggest you Google the numbers and the Vickers name. I noticed that "picclicks.com" has a pamphlet for sale. It should be possible to enlarge one of the catalog cuts to verify parts count, orientation, etc. I was able to see the piston well enough to see it looks like yours.

The system pressure should be around 1200#. If the shaft sheared it would indicate a major problem due to part(s) failure or incorrect assembly.

My Clark P/S cyl is similar in operation, but the sensing valve is only marginally similar. I believe it is of Bendix manuf.

Again I suggest trolling the net varying your search parameters until you find what you need.

If you need my Ford adj instructions PM me. Good Luck

JLG
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Geraci For This Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 09:09:10 PM
Registered

I searched on Hough and got a hit from Yesterdays Tractor for Hough HM loader manuals. Since I know nothing about Hough loaders you might want to look yourself.

Didn't find anything searching on variations of Vickers cyl, steering, etc. Looks like Eaton bought Vickers and Dumpsterized all the old Vickers info.

If you find a solution let us know.

JLG
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00:07 PM
Registered-II

Heins, I thought it should have closer to 1000psi also. I put the gauge in the hole where the allen wrench is in the picture. I also hooked it up on both lines that hook to the cylinder. One has no pressure (return), and the other is only 50 psi also from the pump. The pump supplies all the hydraulics on the loader. The line for the steering comes out of the pump right below the main line, but I cant see it well with the radiator casting in the way. I will take it off when I have a chance and steam clean it to see what is there.

Jim, I googled about every version of the cylinder that I could think of, and found the 3 patents listed on the cylinder. I have tried Eaton and got that confused look through the phone. I too found the pamphlet on the net and blew up the pictures to read them. I wish I would have saw it about 3 weeks ago, I would have bought it.

Thanks again,

Jeremy