Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Portland Indiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Portland Indiana Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions for the World's largest gas engine and tractor show.

Portland Indiana

The Noon Whistle

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2287 times

Old 08-28-2017, 04:00:27 PM
Registered-I

Default The Noon Whistle

Went to the Portland show on a Saturday this year. Dad and I thought that we were fifteen minutes early for the 9 o'clock announcements and National Anthems,were in a high-five moment till we looked at the clock by the t-shirt shop. Forgot about that change of the international time-line a few years back.
If I had to guess, around 38% of the show-men and swap-sellers already left for the day. At least the 1893 Dayton Gas Engine was there and running.
My question is: Every year the announcer Rick Brewer tells the story of how the noon whistle came about. Every year, I swear that I am being proudly pummeled with exhaust noise. What is the story, in it's entirety, that Rick says about the reason for the Noon Whistle?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: The Noon Whistle

Cornpone, I don't read this anymore as I have it memorized. But here is my FIRST version I composed years ago. Straight from the horse's mouth... LOL... Rick

Many years ago in the late 1800s into the 1900s threshing rings were established. These rings consisted of 1 or 2 farmers up to 10 or 15 farmers. The “ring” owned a steam engine, water wagon, and separator. (In later years tractors took the place of the steam engines.) Each year the farmers would cut, bind, and dry their wheat crop and set up a schedule to thresh the wheat at each farmstead. The “ring” was contracted to come thresh the wheat.

In the early morning the steam engine outfit would arrive at the farm and place the separator near a barn or out in a field (depending on what the farmer wished),then turn the engine around, belt up and get all equipment ready. Then the farmer would bring his wagon loads of wheat up to the separator. Many times the bundle wagons were pulled by teams of horses or mules.

During this time the ladies of the house would begin cooking a large meal. The farmer’s wife was in charge but all of her family and friends would help her cook the meal. There are a very few pictures of some of these meals. The tables were covered with food. The number of men in the threshing crew could vary from 6 or 8 up to 15 so the ladies needed to prepare LOTS of food.

The men out at the separator would thresh until lunch time. Then the steam engine operator would “signal” the ladies at the house that the crew was coming to get lunch. The signal was blowing one long whistle.

We celebrate that signal at many of the steam shows throughout the country by blowing our steam whistles at noon.

(( STEAM ENGINE ENGINEERS… YOU HAVE _________ (minutes or seconds) TILL NOON WHISTLES))

I will give a countdown at noon. If you are a spectator and you are standing near a steam engine… and you don’t like loud noises… you need to move away from the steam engine. The whistles are loud and some are very shrill.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R Brewer For This Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 10:21:38 PM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts

....any more??? Thank you!........................................and next we have.....

Old 08-28-2017, 10:26:33 PM
Subscriber

Beth,

Plblblblblblblblblblblblblblblbl!!!!!!!!!

That's a RASPBERRY..... by the way!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to R Brewer For This Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 11:30:15 PM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts

You know we LOVE you!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:01:11 AM
Registered-I

Well Rick, I have been hearing you announce for almost as long as I can remember. You really are gifted. I just want to say Thank-You for all that you do. Lee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornpone For This Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 08:53:41 AM
Registered-I

The AT&SF Railroad shops in Topeka,Ks would blow a whistle every weekday at noon could be heard all over town!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:36:48 PM
Registered-I

Turn the volume up.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:44:34 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,044 Times in 3,938 Posts
Thumbs up Re: The Noon Whistle

I was at R&T in Kinzers last week. On Saturday, I saw and heard the noon Whistle. Most of the walking spectators had no idea what was coming! The sudden LOUD scream of what seemed to be hundreds of whistles lasted for better than 2 minutes! Everything from small models, to traction engines, the Shay locomotive and a large one mounted on the steam engine building, that sounds lie a ships whistle, all going off at once! One even sounded like a general quarters alarm for a destroyer! Sure scared the tar out of a lot of people! Most of the old timers just laughed

Thanks Cornpone for the post!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:16:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanks, Lee.