Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Old Antique Hardie wood barrel tank power sprayer! Help!

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5671 times

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31:07 PM
Registered

Default Old Antique Hardie wood barrel tank power sprayer! Help!

I am new to this site, but I have been browsing and I have seen some old threads of stuff like this. My buddy is restoring a wood barrel tank Hardie orchard sprayer. It has a Cushman motor works engine 5.5 HP, and a hardie triplex pump. The barrel has the word COLUMBIA across the top of the barrel. I am trying to find out what year this is, if the motor it has is what it is suppose to have, and what are the proper colors for all the parts. Trailer frame, motor, barrel. If anyone has any information or an idea where I can get an old Hardie manufacturing product catalogue from that time period. I appreciate any help!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41:22 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Old Antique Hardie wood barrel tank power sprayer!!! Help!!

I have some literature on the Hardie Giant triplex pumps. E-mail me through this site. I can scan them for you. My literature dates from about 1936.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38:36 PM
Subscriber

I have a 1950 hardie catalog which shows mostly metal tanks but does show that wood was still available. Doesn't show a Cushman engine as being available. Can you post some pictures? I have a wood tank unit with a 3 cylinder triplex pump powered by a 2 cyl Stover engine. E-mail me for more info.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23:05 PM
Registered

Default Re: Old Antique Hardie wood barrel tank power sprayer! Help!

Did you get all the info you were looking for re: Hardie sprayer?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24:10 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,129 Times in 2,701 Posts

We Have a large Hardie unit that originaly had the wooden tank but was converted to a steel tank at some time. It is a 4 wheel unit with a 3 cyl pump pulled by a 4 cyl Waukesha liquid cooled motor. We used it in the orchard back in the early 70's until it needed new tires. I want to get it up in shape again. F.J.W.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15:12 AM
Subscriber

Can you post a pic of the engine ? What model is the engine? Here'a a couple of pics of some Cushman sprayers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_1702.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	108755   Click image for larger version

Name:	cushmanbutton2.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	108756  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:14:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,195 Times in 942 Posts

FJW: Someone else here, or maybe on ytmag, has (had?) one with the wooden tank. IIRC, his had a Wauk FC, but no radiator--the engine water was run thru a sealed line in the tank, the liquid in the tank cooling the engine water as it circulated.
He hadn't run his, and could see nothing that'd alert the operator the tank was running dry to prevent the engine overheating; perhaps the tank wouldn't draw that far down??
Old 06-16-2011, 10:06:43 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,129 Times in 2,701 Posts

Bud; that is correct,there isn't a conventional radiator on the unit. When the tank is full the cooling lines do quite well, as I recall the cooling tubes are located toward the bottom of the tank,as they are quite long and large dia they hold considerably more colant than a typical radiator. Also when the spray tank is empty you shut off the motor so not to run the sprayer pump in a dry condition,you don't want to damage the pump as the spray solution also lubricates the pump. These pumps have ceramic lined cylinder bores that the piston and cups run in. They also use stainless steel check valves that are about1.250 dia. they are a very high pressure, positive displacement unit. F.J.W.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30:03 PM
Registered-I

I have a Hardie Mogul 3 cylinder pump. If your information covers this kind of pump, I would appreciate a copy. If you can, pls send it to pd3@columbia.edu. Thanks.