Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Hercules 1 1/2 hp with EK mag. Not firing

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 305 times

Old 01-29-2019, 06:08:17 PM
Registered

Default Hercules 1 1/2 hp with EK mag. Not firing

The mag (EK) on my Hercules engine is not firing every time. The mag is very clean inside, the coil looks new, points look good but I cleaned them anyway. I put another condenser in but didn't change anything. I had the mag and bracket off and put a new gasket between the block and bracket. First thought I had lost ground but that's not it either. Does anyone know what I'm missing here. It was running but very hard to get started.any help is welcome. Larry
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2019, 06:35:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Hercules 1 1/2 hp with EK mag. Not firing

Is it pulling off evenly? If is not your post is worn.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:14:34 PM
Registered

I think it is but I will definiely check that. Is that an easy fix?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13:18 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjohnhunt View Post
The mag (EK) on my Hercules engine is not firing every time. The mag is very clean inside, the coil looks new, points look good but I cleaned them anyway. I put another condenser in but didn't change anything. I had the mag and bracket off and put a new gasket between the block and bracket. First thought I had lost ground but that's not it either. Does anyone know what I'm missing here. It was running but very hard to get started.any help is welcome. Larry
Is the mag tripping and not sparking, or is it failing to trip every time? Have you replaced any or all of the three springs: finger support, return, and drive? If not, I would highly recommend doing so. Incorrect or weak springs will wreak havoc on the tripping process. The WICO system is a "balancing act" between springs and magnetism. Any one of them can make things go awry if it isn't correct. I am a staunch advocate of replacing magneto springs. I have watched so many people dig through boxes of junk springs, stack on washers, twist the mag and bracket this way and that, put shims here and there, and literally agonize for days on end trying to get a mag to work when all it needed was a new set of springs. For the couple of bucks that they cost, it just doesn't make any sense to not replace them before the pulling of hair even begins.
If you trip the mag with a screwdriver, does it give a nice fat spark or is it sorta wimpy? Perhaps the magnets need charged. Also check to see that the armature is being pulled down far enough to open the points. That adjustment is made with the small square-head set screw on the rocker.
While watching the armature, slowly roll the engine over until the mag trips. Does the armature snap down and back up, or does it just kinda fall away from the poles? Also, any drag or binding will make a WICO sluggish.

Kirk
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37:19 PM
Registered

Thanks Kirk, the mag trips everytime but does not spark everytime. The armature seems to snap up and down as it should. Points are opening everytime. All that seems to be working properly. May be the magnets need charging. Where can I get that done? I will order the springs tomorrow. Thanks Larry
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54:42 PM
Registered-III

Contact one of the sponsors listed at the top of this page and find the closets to you. They should do what you ask them to do but take any advise they offer for a great result.