Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Virus?

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1908 times

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,732 Times in 4,277 Posts
Question Virus?

Has anyone encountered the Optimum WIFI problem? My grandson has picked up something that routes all connection attempts to Optimum. It will not allow you to exit, and asks for personal info. It will not allow you to go to any other internet provider. The Administration still works independantly, but when my grandson tries to use the laptop, it goes into the un-usable mode. Any ideas on how to get rid of this? Seems like he picked it up at the local library, while doing schoolwork.
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 03:50:33 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Virus?

Im not all technologically "hep" on computers but from my own experience it definitly sounds like a virus or a hack attempt.

I've found the BEST thing to do when a computer starts to get a little funky and starts locking and throwing up all kinds of warning signs is to call you computer manufacturer like Dell or CompaQ and request a recovery disk. It's going to be around 35 bucks or so but this disk goes in and resets your computer BACK to factory and eliminates all or near all viruses.

The down side is that if you have any valuable's saved, you will loose it all inless you create a save disk.

The up side is that doing this eliminates the need to send a computer off to be worked on and being charged over 100 to 200 dallors for a 35 or 40 dallor job that you can do your self.

The next step is getting a good virus protection program. Like "Webroot Complete" is what i run.

No problems yet although the program can run in upwards of 80 bucks. It's good for a year.