Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Windows 8 hate!!

this thread has 68 replies and has been viewed 8706 times

Old 12-28-2012, 04:21:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,597 Times in 1,654 Posts
Default Windows 8?

My wife wants a laptop and all the new ones seem to have Windows 8. Just wanting to know if anyone is using it and if so do you have any pro's, con's, ideas..

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,905 Times in 779 Posts
Default Re: Windows 8?

I just bought a computer and actually ended up paying a little more in order to get a model with Windows 7. You wont find the Windows 7 models in the store. You will have to special order from HP or Dell, etc.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09:08 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,886 Times in 2,965 Posts

Fred:

I helped out a neighbor who had a laptop that had a croaked operating system and no system disk.

I got Windoze 8 and installed it. During my test drive, I found that it is really clunky if you don't have a touch screen.

I suppose it is a robust op. system but I wouldn't recommend it on a 'puter that uses a mouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 08:19:34 PM
Registered

Just got Dell desktop with windows 8 very fast but talk about being confused. Took me 5 min to shut it off. No start menu or anything that i was used to. Before christmas night we installed windows 7 on it. Since there was drivers to do so. I wouldnt buy one unless you have someone to show you how to use it.
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhorse4life For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts

Run, far, fast and long.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHFoster For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40:07 PM
Registered-II

well im glad ive read this thread,as i to was thinking of getting a new lap top,but after reading the comments on here think im sticking to what ive got..thanks guys for the helpful info..regards..mike..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Deacon For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44:46 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhorse4life View Post
Just got Dell desktop with windows 8 very fast but talk about being confused. Took me 5 min to shut it off. No start menu or anything that i was used to. Before christmas night we installed windows 7 on it. Since there was drivers to do so. I wouldnt buy one unless you have someone to show you how to use it.
If you click in the bottom far left corner of the screen, the START menu comes on. Like all new things, it takes a little practice but it will be worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry K For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06:48 PM
Registered

windows 98 xp vista windows 7 bottom left corner Windows 8 bottom right corner. Then settings click power then click shutdown. From desktop view. Not sure metro works. Bought it for the wife. Happy wife Happy life she wasnt to happy so installed windows 7. I made a dual boot computer so I still have the dell warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhorse4life For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11:42 PM

Thanked 20,738 Times in 6,003 Posts

I don't know why the eggheads in Washington were so stubborn as to NOT make a "classic view" persistent.......
You can change to classic view but you have to do it EVERY TIME you log on........
BUT.......there are downloads that will do for you what M$ didn't.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15:28 PM
Registered-II

I just picked up a laptop/tablet and find windows 8 to be very good. I like being able to switch from touch screen mode to the normal windows screen so I can revert back to a keyboard for some tasks. The reason I went with windows 8 is because everthing is going touch screen. No point in fighting it, better to join in now and learn the technology. It's no harder than most version changes in windows.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjjms For This Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 10:36:24 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,705 Times in 7,485 Posts

Why do these effing geeks have to keep changing these things!
A Phd or university tenure does not always = common sense!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23:49 AM

Thanked 20,738 Times in 6,003 Posts
Arrow Re: Windows 8?

^ I agree. that touch screen crap.
I use PCs........a LOT.......I'll not be here half the day and night reaching out and waving my hands at a screen like I'm chasing flies....... ....... .......when I can do what I want to do by barely moving a mouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45:21 AM
Registered-III

I,m typing this on our new lap top with Windows 8 , I wish it was back on 7, as said earlier I could not turn it off , could not find a picture I had saved , desktop does not appear when it starts up but I suppose there is a way to change it .
It just winds me up that a system that worked for me has to be changed.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36:45 PM
Registered-III

My take on this is a bit different. I am a computer system administrator for a hospital with over 7500 employees.

The reason for the drastic change is purely to spur the sales of new hardware with touch screen technology. Hardware sales have slowed greatly over the last few years simply because performance has been adequate for so long. The only way to generate new hardware sales is to introduce software concepts that take advantage of new hardware. Sounds backwards, doesn't it? In order to take full advantage of Win8, newer touchscreen computer devices are key.

The traditional start menu was present in the pre-release versions of Windows 8, and could be enabled by a simple change in the Windows registry. Easy peasy. In the release version of the software, that registry key is flat out missing. In other words, MS consciously made the decision to REMOVE the ability to use the traditional start menu, even though market research surely showed a disdain for the fact that it was missing. How nice of them.

Our organization has absolutely no intention of moving to Windows 8. And if you look at history, every EVEN NUMBERED operating system has been a flop. This is no exception. Coporations are not going to embrace it. That equates to failure.

MS is dead set on developing a single operating system for phones, tablets and PCs. Unforunately they chose to take a tablet operating system and force it upon the other two environments. Totally backward thinking.

The head of the Windblows 8 project was mysteriously let go just days after the release of Win8. Factory orders for the Microsoft Surface have been cut in half. Suspicious? You be the judge.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,610 Times in 741 Posts

"A Phd or university tenure does not always = common sense!"

As far as I'm concerned a university is often a place of higher stupidity. I'm of the old school that says if it's not broke don't fix it. As far as I'm concerned Windows XP was the best and everything I needed. Don't know anything about Windows 8 but Vista and Windows 7 are definitely inferior to XP.

I personally don't have any use for the touch pad on laptops and use a wireless mouse instead. I haven't used anything with a touch screen so can't say how I would like that v/s a wireless mouse.

Bill
Old 12-29-2012, 12:59:52 PM
Registered-III

Have to disagree a bit. Overall Win 7 is better than XP, at least in a corporate environment or for a power user such as myself. Of course, it is entirely situational. If your computer activity is limited to surfing the web and using email, XP is beautiful in it's simplicity and ability to get the job done.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34:11 PM
Registered-III

Default Windows 8 hate!!

We recently bought a new laptop and it came with windows 8. After 2 months we still don't have a clue how to navigate it. What is a good alternative operating system? I am not spending the money for a Mac laptop, and windows 7 for our pc is $120 at the store. Any recommendations before my wife stomps this laptop to pieces. I am not real computer savy but know some stuff, I don't understand what windows was thinking with this change.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:56:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,887 Posts
Default Re: Windows 8 hate!!

1. Take it back to where you bought it and ask them how much to have tech install W7. You may want to keep 8 and set up as dual boot. Ask if you can trade it in on older machine running 7 - they are a lot less now.

2. Contact computer mfgr and ask them cost of w7 downgrade. Advantage - should come with all the drivers for your machine, OEM version should be less expensive than store version.
When I have upgraded OS in past, I have had to contact comptr mfgr for drivers. Ones from other version of windows would not work. Needed drivers for bunch of stuff on Motherboard - graphics, PCI bus, etc. One MFGR sent me a disc with new drivers, others pointed me to place to download new drivers on their website. I found it to be a PITA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 02:03:46 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,459 Times in 2,515 Posts

Windows 7 like!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07:02 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Wade7 View Post
We recently bought a new laptop and it came with windows 8. After 2 months we still don't have a clue how to navigate it.
Not just me then ? took me days to find out how to shut it down ( press windows key and the letter I ) even longer how to go back to previous page ( move arrow to top left corner of screen )
it was not broke way change it ? Oh I know, its progress
Neville
The Following User Says Thank You to Neville Bond For This Post: