Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

I hate this web site.

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 6836 times

Old 06-29-2013, 06:26:07 PM
Registered-III

Default I hate this web site.

I am sorry to post here but I can find no other way to contact anyone who can tell me what I am doing wrong. I tried to post 8 pics of 2 motors I just picked up, I cant tell what model one is and I cant find any info online for the other. Am I not allowed to post 8 pics? If I am why wont they load? I use this site out of desperation even though I paid to be here. I read as much of the useless help stuff as I could bear, I read "if you don't read anything else, read this" nothing ever helps with the user unfriendliness on this complex and difficult web site. I also could find no other place to post these complaints. I accept the problems are probably mine so if anyone knows a simpler web site please let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to 12voltdc For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38:47 PM
Kpack

Default Re: I hate this web site.

This site is very good but a little hard to use at first. It took me a long time to post pics some of the guys posted them for me until I figured it out. So I offer to post them for you email them to me packkelley@gmail.com
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36:47 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,237 Times in 349 Posts

You can only post four photos per post.
Merv.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58:26 PM
Sponsor

If you hate this site Don't post anything else!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:01:46 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,656 Posts

12voltdc, I have the same trouble. thinks that's bad it takes me 10 years to get used to my ole computer and it blowed up now I got this new gadget and I am about to go nuts . hang in there ..kpack he post all my pictures he even wanted to post one of me look like santa claus.
oh and this site is the best group of folks and the knowledge is outstanding .just ask and some one will help with your questions. long live the Stak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,990 Times in 3,785 Posts
Wink Re: I hate this web site.

I have to agree with Tom..... IF you really do hate this site.

BUT.... If you just used that thread title to get attention and are looking for help posting pictures, I suggest reading this thread http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...t=33421&page=2, for starters, and maybe search for other threads along the same lines.

It can be somewhat confusing to start with trying to figure out what link to click on to attach pictures, but once you figure it out, it is really easy to do. As has already been mentioned though, you can only post 4 pictures per post, uploading 2 at a time, so you would need to post 4 of them to start with, and then add the next 4 in a second post.

I hope that thread I linked to helps you out with your picture posting, and that THAT was the ONLY Thing you hate about this site.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30:26 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,177 Times in 984 Posts

Make sure your pictures are compressed to fit within the file size restriction. I think it's 195 kB for a typical jpeg file. It's a little frustrating when the default size from your digital camera is 2MB, but you get used to it. There is no limit to how many posts you can create to get all of your pictures uploaded.

If you think this is bad, wait until you start trying to embed videos...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,309 Times in 364 Posts
Default I Like this Site !!!!!

I enjoy Smokstak,I'm not very computer savvy and can figure it out.Like they told you 4 picture's per post and they cant be too large.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,588 Times in 902 Posts

You may need to resize your pictures The largest side must be smaller than 1800, but I sugest you make it smaller than 850. I found that people useing older computers could not down load my pictures till I started makeing them smaller. After you post 4 pictures click on reply and post 4 more that way you can get 8 in the same thread. It has really been a learning process for me, but it has gotten easer. Bill K
Old 06-30-2013, 12:42:44 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,454 Times in 2,514 Posts

After personally approving 62,568 forum users, do you think that I can also personally repair their computers or personally teach them how to use their computers. I don't think so.

Do you think it's easy to manage a web forum and keep out the crap scammers or spammers that appear daily wanting to do harm to other users or the web server? My hands are full enough with the computer that runs this forum AND my own computer that I bring with me to do this maintenance WHILE ON VACATION.

I used to operate a simpler web site, but that was over nine years ago before China, Nigeria, Korea, Vietnam, Turkey, Russia, the Ukraine and God knows where else, decided to crack into web servers for the purpose of doing wrong to a web forum. Oh, and you could only upload one photo to a post back then.

Thank you for your complaint. You might find help on: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,388 Times in 1,155 Posts

I've never had a problem that rod juice wouldn't overcome

rod
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25:05 AM
Kpack

Get em Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46:20 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 863 Posts

The OP did come across wrong and its obvious he hates the forum software and not the community or content even if he didn't know how to word it.

I think Harry responded in a very unproffesional manner and everyone who has posted does not represent this community fairly.

It would be wrong to expect any end user to be as tech savvy as myself and even I find the forum very backwards at times with respect to uploading and sharing photographs. The fact that the uploader cannot resize pictures over a certain size is stupid. I could understand if it didn't get along with 16mp raw format d-slr pictures but in 2013 not being able to handle 8mp pictures is insane. Literally every camera and phone in my house is 8mp and I can't even think of any friends who have 3 or 5mp cameras anymore. And secondly I can't understand the 4 image limit and the fact it includes emoticons. It makes rally picture threads stupid as somebody has to make tens of posts for a few pictures.

Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to LarrapMan For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:19:15 AM
Subscriber

Joe Harry responded in a very PROFESSIONAL manner. He works his tail off to provide you and me with this site. An if he can keep us all safe from the bad guys by making it tough to access, then so be it. This is the best thing we in the old engine hobby have going for us. I appreciate the guys who post pictures, I dont post them as I am a computer idiot. Tried a couple of times but didnt frustrate me as I am sure I was doing it wrong.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dan Baalman For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:34:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,160 Posts

Like stated, this is the best website, and best source of information ANYWHERE that your going to find when it comes to the old iron hobby. Put yourself in Harry's shoes, im sure you don't want to. There is always SOMEONE that has to bitch no matter how good something is. Keep up the good work Harry, your site is beyond more than appreciated by the people that care, and like you stated, with over 62,000 users, we wont miss a few of them if they don't like it here.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tanner Remillard For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55:35 AM
Sponsor

Harry you da man keep up the good work that you do for the forum. me lord knows I need all the help I can get. my mind is not very sharp somedays. Thank you Harry for this wonderful web site its the only thing that keeps me sane. thanks to all the wonderful folks here to that helps me. sincerely Danny
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03:16 AM
Registered

You might try posting two at a time? I don't know, I just posted three pics with my request and it went well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newhabit For This Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,421 Times in 925 Posts

One spot a lot of less tech savvy folks get confused is how to shrink the picture size-with the newer 8 or 10 or 20 or whatever megapixel cameras, the file size gets stupid at times, for no reason. If you set the picture quality on the camera down to the lower settings, that makes a smaller file, and for the most part, the picture will look the same. Lowest is probably 320x200 pixels, second lowest 640x480. Second setting is fine for most anything we ever do with our cameras, and more then enough for pictures to be posted on the web. Also your camera will 'recycle' (be ready for the next shot) faster, and use less battery.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:30:55 AM
Registered-III

OK,OK,OK, Harry responded the way I would have to a post like mine. I just have trouble using this site whenever I try to, I am sure it is me and not the site. I did not know there was a 4 pic limit per post, I posted 2 on mine and 2 more on a reply to myself, then it would take no more. I will reread the suggested instructions and see where I am going wrong.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39:14 AM
Sponsor

12voltdc ,thanks for making your problem known I may never understand how to post pictures and so on here but I got all my friends that will help me. I am sure you will get it fiqured out .have a wonderful lords day god bless us all and peace be with us, Danny