Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Camera cards gone wild, Cannon,Fujifilm,Lexar

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2289 times

Old 08-29-2013, 11:30:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,172 Times in 544 Posts
Default Camera cards gone wild, Cannon,Fujifilm,Lexar

I have an Olympus C2500L camera. The original cards work in the camera and computer. I wanted extra cards to use each for it's own purpose. I need MB cards not GB cards. So I bought 3 cards on ebay one was used 2 were new in package. The used card did not work in the camera and actually put a game program on my computer and rearranged my icons witch I removed. The second card (new) worked great for several months then stopped working in the camera. It still worked in the computer. I was told to format. Now it will not work in camera or computer. The camera shows F on the screen and ERROR on the screen. The third card (new) worked in the camera but not in the computer. After formatting it will not work at all and now my computer says it can not format. I am now lost. What do I do? Thanks , Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 12:55:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,381 Times in 2,707 Posts
Default Re: Camera cards gone wild, Cannon,Fujifilm,Lexar

Well you formatted them and still no joy.

Toss 'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,421 Times in 925 Posts

read the wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartMedia

Says you might be able to fix them.

In the future I'd put any 'new' card in the camera and format it there first, simply because I bet the camera won't run any malware on the card (it would be targeted to the PC operating system, not an older digital cam), then further format it on the PC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13:14 PM
Registered

I'm thinking always format your memory card in your camera. In my limited opinion I would never format a card in a PC. You want to format a card in the device that it is to be used in. And never just delete images on a card, format the card every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to clippy For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 08:20:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,894 Posts

I think that takes a "smart Media" card - it is a very thin square with all the contacts exposed on about 1/2 the face.
Very easy to damage. Has to be in camera or protective case at all times.
If It did not accidentally get bent or pressured, I would try gently cleaning the gold plated contacts with a soft cloth and alcohol.

At this point, nothing to loose.

Now put the camera on format and try.

I purchased one of those cards on sale years ago, and used it as additional memory in a long ago PC. Never had any trouble with it. Just checked, it still works fine.

I have a Sony camera that uses "Memory Stick". I could not delete some images with the camera, so I deleted them with my PC, and then formatted it with the camera. 100% capacity available.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,588 Times in 691 Posts

Some older cameras cant handle the large capacity memory cards. High speed cards like Class 10 may not work in older cameras either. I had a Canon 650IS that I think had a 2gb limit. A card with more capacity wasn't recognized by the camera. I've never had problems formatting or deleting files from memory card in a PC so I don't think it something you shouldn't do. Formatting in the camera is probably best to insure it is compatible. If you put the card in the PC can you copy files to and delete from it?

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

If it checks out OK in the PC the memory should be good. Maybe its a camera capacity issue.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:33:30 AM
Registered

You should be able to use up to a 64mb smartmedia card. Also if you have a compact flash slot try that. Card size could also be a problem with compact flash. Olympus says it varies from card to card but maybe compact flash in the gb range could work. If you could find someone that had a compact flash card and would let you try it?
Good Luck

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

The compact flash card must be type 1
Old 08-31-2013, 10:55:17 AM
Subscriber

My camera will use both compact flash and smart media. But the SM card fell out of favor and couldn't get a card reader for it. So I have stayed with the CF cards in the MB range and this is what I've been using. A friend has a newer computer and camera and will try to format my cards today. We will see how it turns out. Thanks , Ron
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20:29 PM
Subscriber

And at one time we all thought that getting the right film, loading it and making sure to engage the toothed wheels, in the dark so as not to expose the film, etc. was a PITA. Has anything really changed???
Old 08-31-2013, 02:00:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald E. McClellan View Post
My camera will use both compact flash and smart media. But the SM card fell out of favor and couldn't get a card reader for it.Thanks , Ron
If you have a desktop, Available at computer stores like Microcenter. They have individual readers that plug into a USB port and "all in one" that fit in a 3 1/2 or 5 1/4 bay with adapter.
I have been putting all in ones in my builds.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quick search - Tiger Direct - there are many others selling them.

Even Sears:

iMicro™ iMicro™ EXT-AI1-CS External All in One card reader
Sears Item# 00332874000 | Model# EXT-AI1-CS
$3.45
iMicro All-in-One External Card Reader - Card reader - all-in-1 ( CF II, MS, MS PRO, Microdrive, MMC, SD, MS Duo, xD, MS PRO Duo, miniSD, CF, RS-MMC, SDHC ) - Hi-Speed USB

iMicro All-in-One External Card Reader is compact and portable. The best choice for people on the go to transfer files from one media card to another, or transfer files between all media cards.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:59:12 PM
Registered

Something else to look at. I have read that the model of camera that you have can have a problem with the card reader pins in the compact flash slot inside of the camera. They may bend easily.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:11:46 AM
Subscriber

Of the three cards I have one working. Another will work in the camera but not in the computer. The third will not work at all. I give up on these and I'll buy another card. Ron
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32:49 PM
Registered-II

Maybe the situation is similar to what I've experienced...

I bought a blackout game camera....

I can format the card in the camera. It will use cards up to
32G.

When I try & format the card in the computer, it doesn't work saying the files are write protected, but of course they are not.

If I use a card reader & usb, I can then format the cards with the computer. Go figure.