Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Project Thread: 20HP Reid Engine

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 6044 times

Old 04-03-2018, 04:52:36 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Project Thread: 20HP Reid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
it takes a bit of practice to get the fuel mixture right. Make sure you have a good low pressure reserve (accumulator) or you will have trouble getting the engine to run reliably. They do not like running directly off a regulator.
Now that I know it fires, I want to play around with this a bit for sure. Along the way, I had read/been told that I could use a standard gas grill regulator. But I am stubborn and I was hoping to be accumulator free so I picked up a Fisher regulator that is rated for 1,400,000 BTU (R622-DFF). Based on volume, I had figured a minimum of 750,000 BTU and it was cheap enough so I figure I have plenty of volume. But, the downside to plenty of volume is that it wont starve that's for sure. After this weekend, I am more concerned about it running away before I get it dial in with the air.

I am sure it would also be easier if my fuel mixing valves would loosen up. As of now they are still stuck and this is 100% manual gas/air mixture control.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 06:15:08 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Project Thread: 20HP Reid Engine

The Reid is starting to come back to life. Still need to get it dialed in better on the fuel side, but wanted to update this thread.

https://youtu.be/GrMgc6nH55M