Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

JP Berry Engines

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 6013 times

Old 10-07-2012, 08:19:47 PM
Subscriber

Default JP Berry Engines

Hey guys, I am new to this list, I dont currently have an oilfield engine, but I do have a few smaller engines. A 2hp Witte B, 5hp Jaeger/Hercules hit&miss, and a 7.5hp Fairbanks-Morse Z throttler with clutch. I was looking through the posts for info and pics on JP Berry Engines from Petrolia, PA. I am curious if anyone has info and/or pics of any. I saw there is a man named Cliff Atkinson from Valencia, PA. who has one, but I dont think he is a member of the OFES forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sam
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,741 Times in 235 Posts
Default Re: JP Berry Engines

Welcome to the "brotherhood" Sam! Tom Rapp has one on display at Coolspring. Come see it at the upcoming show. There were two sold last weekend at an auction in Callensburg, perhaps one of the buyers will chime in here. Others are owned by Randy Dunlap of Chicora and Ed Walker of Butler. They were very muck like the Evans engines except the ex valve was underneath the head as opposed to being on the front of the head. Bill Klein
Old 10-07-2012, 11:15:09 PM
Subscriber

Hi Sam,

Welcome to Smokstak! I am from Valencia, PA but can't say I know the guy you mentioned. It would cool to meet another oilfield engine guy in my neighborhood!

Mike
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34:09 PM
Subscriber

Hey, Thank you Mike and Bill for all of the info. So, I take it they are a 2 stroke type. Did they make any other size engines, or only the 15hp? Mike, I found out about Cliff Atkinson from a post I found on google about the Sisterville show, that came up when I was searching for Berry engine info. Not much of anything out there on the net about them, or any youtube videos of one running. But there are several videos of Ball engines running, awesome too!! Thank you again!! Sam
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46:35 PM
Subscriber

Hi Sam,
All I've ever seen were 4 cycle, not sure they even built a 2 cycle.
I had a chance to get one several years ago, but as usual, I was a day late & a dollar short )
Old 10-08-2012, 08:50:56 PM
Registered-III

To the best of my knowledge, JP Berry only built 4 cycle engines. I could be wrong. I have a one, I think its 15hp, but have also heard it my be 13hp. I heard that there are as many as 15 known to still exist. I've personally seen 5 complete engines and know of 1 other runner, and have seen 3 parts engines. I'm no expert by any means. If I've seen that many i'm sure that 15+ is probably a realistic number. so... just my .02
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51:50 PM
Subscriber

Ok, that is all more useful info. Dwight, that is a shame you missed out on that one. So much of finding this stuff seems to be being at the right place at the right time. Rich, you know where more of them are located than I do! I know about the one at Coolsprings, and the one owned by Cliff in Valencia as of a few years ago anyhow. I have been into motors, engines for as long as I can remember, and like most engine collectors, I started to become interested in the big power. Oilfield engines have always held a special place in my heart, due to my relatives in western Pa. and their farm with wells on it. The farm is right near Petrolia, and that is why the Berry engines have importance to me. I know, years ago, maybe as recently as the early 80's, there were 8 different wells on the farm. The majority of them, were powered by a Ball engine in a powerhouse with the rodlines that ran out to the wells. Some of them, couldnt be ran by the Ball, however, and so they had some others like a Spang, and a Price engine that was made in nearby Renfrew, Pa, and I believe even a Swan engine was there as well. Some different ones have come and gone, as my great uncles out there have been collecting, selling and trading old iron for a long time. Along with Steam traction engines and portables, and a good amount of the old farm equipment. Currently, there is only one well left, and it is pumped by an electric motor that runs a Cook pumpjack up on the hill. That smell of fresh crude from the ground is tatooed in my sinuses. I never tire of it or anything that deals with old iron. I look forward to keeping in contact with the list and its members, this is definitely the right place to talk old engines. Thank you again. Sam
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34:59 PM
Registered

The Berry engine castings were made in Butler Pa by the Butler Engine and Foundry that was on Monroe Street. They made castings for Evans, Ball and a couple other engine companies. I know of one in Petrolia and one in North Wahington Pa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilcrazy For This Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09:53 AM
Subscriber

Hey Oilcrazy, Thank you for adding that, I wasn't aware of that connection between the Berry's and Butler Foundry. I know of one in Petrolia as well that is owned by my relatives out there. Thanks again Sam
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27:36 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilcrazy View Post
The Berry engine castings were made in Butler Pa by the Butler Engine and Foundry that was on Monroe Street. They made castings for Evans, Ball and a couple other engine companies. I know of one in Petrolia and one in North Wahington Pa.
The timing gear on my Berry is identical to the one on my Evans.
Wonder if there were any other connections between the companies?
Paul